Las Vegas catheters??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by August West View Post
    Because straight catheters can be reused, they are better for traveling. You only need one and you can keep it in your pocket so there is no risk of lost baggage or running out.

My point is that when you are looking around in an unfamiliar place and you need to pay cash, you can buy just one and reuse it. Lot less expensive and shouldn't be a problem for a short while.

Not a lecture. Just providing reasonable options.
    I used to wash and reuse my catheters, I washed with soap and water, put them in clean envelopes to dry (still seems weird, but that's how they taught me in rehab). I guess I didn't necessarily need to let them dry, but how do you manage to clean one cath between each use every time and store it between uses without it getting dirty when you're on the road?

If this is something that's realistic for me to do, I'm all for it, because right now at work I carry extras on me and in my car in case I forget to refill my main cath bag. I wouldn't do it all the time, but if I realize I'm down to my last one and I don't have to worry about it I'll be much more comfortable leaving the extras at home (or at least not having to run back out to my car). Right now I generally carry up to 15 caths in my main supply (mostly so I only have to refill it every week or so), another four in an extra bag on my wheelchair and another dozen or so in my car, which seems excessive seeing as how I'm only working 10 or 12 hours at a time and might cath 4 times max at work, and usually only 2 times. I'm all for minimalism and if you can get me from lugging around 30 caths everywhere I go, down to 3 or 4 you'll be my new hero.

Comment

Originally posted by funklab View Post
      I used to wash and reuse my catheters, I washed with soap and water, put them in clean envelopes to dry (still seems weird, but that's how they taught me in rehab). I guess I didn't necessarily need to let them dry, but how do you manage to clean one cath between each use every time and store it between uses without it getting dirty when you're on the road?
      Instead of an envelop, you can use a paper towel folded into an envelop. It's more absorbent so they will dry out better. Plus you can fold them as compactly as necessary. Question is, how do you dry the inside of the catheter? Really can't do that on the road. Alternatively, you could carry 4 paper towel envelops each with it's own catheter inside. You can roll the catheters into a small circle so they fit easily inside the paper towel and in your pocket. I have special jeans made for us in wheelchairs that have deep pockets with the opening on top of the thigh (rather than along the side of the hip) for easier access. They also have extra pockets along the calf for extra storage. Carrying 4 should not be a problem.

If your concern is only about logistics, then maybe just discard after each use.

If your concern is about logistics and cost, then you can reuse them by washing them as good as you can on the road then give them an extra rinse and store in a Hibiclens solution overnight to clean the inside. I'm on the fence if it's better or dry them afterward to leave the Hibiclens on the inside for the next day's use.

Presently, I am using hydrophilic catheters. Because they pass more easily and are more convenient. When on the road, I put one or two down my boot and up my pant sleeve. I like the Coloplast ones in the green package. They are much more compact and rigid than the others so they fit better and stay in place better inside your pant sleeve. Plus they don't make noise like the others. You can easily fit two in each pant sleeve, which lets you carry a total of 4 without using pockets. You want boots for this. The extra height up to the ankle holds the catheters in place. Shoes won't work.

One extra straight catheter always on hand is a good idea in case of emergency. You don't have to carry lube. Water will do in place of lube in an emergency as long as it's a plastic catheter and not the soft rubber ones.
      Last edited by August West; 5 Dec 2018, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Instead of an envelop, you can use a paper towel folded into an envelop
        So you just carry soap around and clean in the bathroom sink and wrap it with whatever papertowels they have on hand?

I don't consider myself a very shy person, but I think I'd be hesitant to wash a pissy catheter out in a public restroom in front of everyone. Still if you gotta do it, you gotta do it I guess.

Comment

So you just carry soap around and clean in the bathroom sink and wrap it with whatever papertowels they have on hand?

I don't consider myself a very shy person, but I think I'd be hesitant to wash a pissy catheter out in a public restroom in front of everyone. Still if you gotta do it, you gotta do it I guess.
          The original poster is staying at a hotel in Las Vegas and running short of catheter supplies. He is not having to wash catheters in an emergency situation in a pubic restroom. And yes, absolutely yes...you gotta do what you gotta do, when stuff happens. It is a short term fix. The trick about surviving with a spinal cord injury is being inventive and resourceful. I give all of us credit for having these qualities.

If this poster, "funklab" has me on "ignore," maybe that is why he didn't see my Post #3. You shouldn't post in ignorance if you aren't seeing and unwilling to see the whole picture.
          Last edited by gjnl; 6 Dec 2018, 12:12 AM.

Comment

I get it. I really don't want to be washing pissy catheters in public. Sometimes, there are private bathrooms, so you could wash in private. Or you could carry a plastic bag with a little Hibiclens and store used catheters in them and wash them later. Or you could discard them.

Or you could do what I do and carry hydrophilics inside pant sleeves and discard them.

Your objective, as I read your post, was to reduce the number of catheters you carry to 4. I hope this helps to meet that objective.
            Last edited by August West; 6 Dec 2018, 12:10 AM.

Comment

I get it. I really don't want to be washing pissy catheters in public. Sometimes, there are private bathrooms, so you could wash in private. Or you could carry a plastic bag with a little Hibiclens and store used catheters in them and wash them later. Or you could discard them.

Or you could do what I do and carry hydrophilics inside pant sleeves and discard them.

Your objective, as I read your post, was to reduce the number of catheters you carry to 4. I hope this helps to meet that objective.
              Indeed, thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone! Since I knew it would be close I decided to wash and reuse a couple and that got me through until the last day!

Next time I shall pack more than I anticipate I will use! Or drink less beers! Haha
                -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T12/L2 Complete - Nov. 12, 2007

Comment

Originally posted by wheelz1989 View Post
                  Thanks for the help everyone! Since I knew it would be close I decided to wash and reuse a couple and that got me through until the last day!

Next time I shall pack more than I anticipate I will use! Or drink less beers! Haha
                  Only the first option seems reasonable in Las Vegas.

Comment

I think some of you need a life other then be here all the time.....lol
                    Art

Comment

Working...
                    X