Caster bearing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
    I can?t get the top bearing off the stem of my backup tr3, I have sprayed with rust breaker to no avail. Anyone ever use bearing or terminal puller to get stem bearings off?
    This'll git 'er done:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SMALL-B...T/312320455591

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
      Thx Andy it’s the very top bearing that normally rides in the castor housing I was able to rubber mallet the entire caster housing off which just left the shaft and the one top bearing stuck on the shaft I don’t know that this would pull it off
      Bike-on.com rep
      John@bike-on.com
      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
      sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Had the same thing happen on my TR3, bearing got a stuck spot, top bearing on the caster stub shaft on the frame that wouldn't come down. I got that tool, used it to get a grip on the bearing between the bearing and the frame, and a combo of tightening the tool to wedge itself between the bearing and the frame, along with whacking the tool with a hammer, got that bearing off.

Comment

Sweet I’ll buy it thx much
          Originally posted by Andy View Post
          Had the same thing happen on my TR3, bearing got a stuck spot, top bearing on the caster stub shaft on the frame that wouldn't come down. I got that tool, used it to get a grip on the bearing between the bearing and the frame, and a combo of tightening the tool to wedge itself between the bearing and the frame, along with whacking the tool with a hammer, got that bearing off.
          Bike-on.com rep
          John@bike-on.com
          c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
          sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
            Sweet I?ll buy it thx much
            A lousy and dusty pic to give you a better idea on size of that tool:
            Attached Files

Comment

Got them changed so thank you all. They were so loud for days. So embarrassing and annoying. Yes the one's with metric measurements (that were slightly off from the U.S measurements Sunrise gives) worked just fine saving me a ton of money. One medical place even listed them at $14 each! I feel like this is something I should have known years ago. I am never the one replacing my bearings.

Andy and nick were right about the DMEs.
              Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Red makes some really nice and very fast bearings but be careful, most skateboard bearings including RED's use oil and not grease. This means they are really fast to start with but in a very short amount of time they will lose all lubrication and you will be back to square one. You want to use either a bike bearing with grease (bikes get wet a lot) or a bearing with grease designed for water exposure. You will also want to look for a bearing that has a double lip rubber seal this will be a better barrier to water.

Ebay and Amazon are good choices.

You will have more options for metric bearings like at 608 or 6001 but most wheelchairs use a combination of metrics for the casters, and imperial for the rear wheel (R8). Also, make sure to use bearing removal tools for blind bearings, I ruined a pair of Spinergy wheels using a screwdriver and a hammer.

Comment

Working...
                X