Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ghetto-Portable stair lift

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    "Good Luck!" Might be easier to just get a jetpack!

    Comment


    • #17
      A little update...I did get that last 4th footing on the rail. All the way at the bottom, sits direct on the concrete. Reason being is that the test pilot found that the entire thing would still tip with the seat all the way at the bottom. So as of now, it works good for the test dummy/pilot, lol.

      As far as working for me, not so much. I stuck a bow saw tooth through the sidewall of my tire the last day we were working on this (only the best precision tools used here). So I was not too enthusiastic to try this out myself with a busted-ass wheelchair in tow. Then it has been rather cold, my arm hurts, etc, etc, etc. I'm sure in the coming weeks it will get above 30F on my days off for me to give it a whirl. I'll post results...

      Comment


      • #18
        And end of story: One final mod to make the seat swivel in both directions for the extremely narrow transfer situations, and it got my ass down and back up the stairs. Success! I'll tell you, it seems it was designed for tiny people. But it does the job. I'd post a video, but I didn't take one. And it's all tucked away in the garage with no known plans to re-set it up, so just take my word for it, lol

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Andy View Post
          And end of story: One final mod to make the seat swivel in both directions for the extremely narrow transfer situations, and it got my ass down and back up the stairs. Success! I'll tell you, it seems it was designed for tiny people. But it does the job. I'd post a video, but I didn't take one. And it's all tucked away in the garage with no known plans to re-set it up, so just take my word for it, lol
          Congrats on getting the job done Andy. Looking back on your pics, it looks like an incredibly tight fit. I don't think I could make the transfers. Do you have a chair waiting downstairs? And the older Brunos swiveled both ways, could be used on either side of the stairwell. Your new one looks like they copied Acorns offset swivel design fairly closely.
          I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

          Comment


          • #20
            You call that lazy?! Not in my world. For that short of a run I'd have prolly just cut a piece of plywood to fit over the stairs and leaned it against the wall when I didn't need it.
            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

            "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

            "Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by nonoise View Post
              Congrats on getting the job done Andy. Looking back on your pics, it looks like an incredibly tight fit. I don't think I could make the transfers. Do you have a chair waiting downstairs? And the older Brunos swiveled both ways, could be used on either side of the stairwell. Your new one looks like they copied Acorns offset swivel design fairly closely.
              Yeah, real tight. The swiveling fixes that. And the wheelchair gets dragged downstairs via an alternate path, wouldn't get past me otherwise. Offset, yeah, it is an offset swivel, you have to move the pivot point from one side to the other normally. But if you want it to turn the other way also, just hacksawing off a small tab to allow that does the trick. I guess they don't want it going both ways in case the little old lady doesn't stop the seat at 0 degrees and goes cartwheeling down the stairs after over-rotating and sliding off the tiny seating surface, lol.


              Pic below of the manual so you can get a better idea of this design

              Originally posted by Oddity View Post
              You call that lazy?! Not in my world. For that short of a run I'd have prolly just cut a piece of plywood to fit over the stairs and leaned it against the wall when I didn't need it.
              Some random homeless person passing by started yelling at me to "Just try harder!", so I did. Wouldn't you know it.....
              Attached Files

              Comment

              Working...
              X