Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally gonna try to use Medicare to get a chair

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
    HOC chairs are sick, definitely my next ride oddity.
    Next time I'm willing to drop my own dime on a chair, I am right there with you.

    edit:

    Latest HoC Instagram post:

    Last edited by Oddity; 05-11-2019, 07:05 PM.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

    Comment


    • #77
      Those X-core wheels look great. But they are heavy, noisy, and bumpy. Never again.

      Comment


      • #78
        Did you have the nylon or the carbon fiber?

        Originally posted by August West View Post
        Those X-core wheels look great. But they are heavy, noisy, and bumpy. Never again.
        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

        "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

        Comment


        • #79
          yup, this is the el toro i believe, similar to the halls wheels chair that i loved. very reasonably priced as well
          Originally posted by Oddity View Post
          Next time I'm willing to drop my own dime on a chair, I am right there with you.

          edit:

          Latest HoC Instagram post:

          Bike-on.com rep
          John@bike-on.com
          c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
          sponsored handcycle racer

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
            yup, this is the el toro i believe, similar to the halls wheels chair that i loved. very reasonably priced as well
            To me, the El Toro looks like an attempt to "improve" on Bob Hall's original design only to lose some of its essence. It not only requires more segments of tubing, they weld clamps on the ends of some segments to secure the carbon fiber sections in the frame (bottom pic). If the goal is to build a light, stiff, perfectly aligned frame, that is a lot of extra work with very little pay off. It seems like more of a marketing decision than a sound design choice.

            I like Oracing's approach more. It features design characteristics of the Hallmark, but it still looks like an Oracing chair.

            While Bob Halls original design is a classic, neither of the "neo-hallmark" designs is compatible with a SmartDrive. One thing that could allow either company to market their chair as a "modern take on an classic" would be to integrate the SmartDrive's interface at the back of center frame rail where the clamp would normally attach.
            Attached Files

            Comment


            • #81
              Interesting Halls tribute chair from Oracing. Unfortunately, we (Bike-On) no longer offer their chairs because they failed to honor the warranty or provide after-sale support to several of our customers leaving them stranded. Cold-shouldered them. So not cool.
              stephen@bike-on.com

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
                yup, this is the el toro i believe, similar to the halls wheels chair that i loved. very reasonably priced as well
                Looking over their order form, given the range of options and fitting, they are priced incredibly well. Looks like they're doing decent business, too. That's great for them and the more usage data the better for us. One to keep an eye on, for sure.
                "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

                "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

                Comment


                • #83
                  Loved the design, ever since I saw stephen212's Hallmark, although it's borderline too busy/too much metal for me. Wouldn't be surprised if it was strong as heck.


                  Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                  To me, the El Toro looks like an attempt to "improve" on Bob Hall's original design only to lose some of its essence. It not only requires more segments of tubing, they weld clamps on the ends of some segments to secure the carbon fiber sections in the frame (bottom pic). If the goal is to build a light, stiff, perfectly aligned frame, that is a lot of extra work with very little pay off. It seems like more of a marketing decision than a sound design choice.

                  I like Oracing's approach more. It features design characteristics of the Hallmark, but it still looks like an Oracing chair.

                  While Bob Halls original design is a classic, neither of the "neo-hallmark" designs is compatible with a SmartDrive. One thing that could allow either company to market their chair as a "modern take on an classic" would be to integrate the SmartDrive's interface at the back of center frame rail where the clamp would normally attach.
                  "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

                  "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    im not an oracing fan at all, however im a big hoc/d's fan for many years.
                    Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                    To me, the El Toro looks like an attempt to "improve" on Bob Hall's original design only to lose some of its essence. It not only requires more segments of tubing, they weld clamps on the ends of some segments to secure the carbon fiber sections in the frame (bottom pic). If the goal is to build a light, stiff, perfectly aligned frame, that is a lot of extra work with very little pay off. It seems like more of a marketing decision than a sound design choice.

                    I like Oracing's approach more. It features design characteristics of the Hallmark, but it still looks like an Oracing chair.

                    While Bob Halls original design is a classic, neither of the "neo-hallmark" designs is compatible with a SmartDrive. One thing that could allow either company to market their chair as a "modern take on an classic" would be to integrate the SmartDrive's interface at the back of center frame rail where the clamp would normally attach.
                    Bike-on.com rep
                    John@bike-on.com
                    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                    sponsored handcycle racer

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Speaking of HoC, the last time I spoke to Steve he explained one of the main reasons they only build frames out of titanium is because of the cost involved in heat treating aluminum frames after they are welded. For them, maybe not big manufacturers, it's cheaper to build a titanium frame (in addition to the other advantages mentioned in this thread). Regardless of the material, they make some of the best quality / innovative chairs I've seen.

                      I love seeing stuff like this:

                      https://www.instagram.com/p/BuNGmrNB..._web_copy_link

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                        To me, the El Toro looks like an attempt to "improve" on Bob Hall's original design only to lose some of its essence. It not only requires more segments of tubing, they weld clamps on the ends of some segments to secure the carbon fiber sections in the frame (bottom pic). If the goal is to build a light, stiff, perfectly aligned frame, that is a lot of extra work with very little pay off. It seems like more of a marketing decision than a sound design choice.

                        I like Oracing's approach more. It features design characteristics of the Hallmark, but it still looks like an Oracing chair.

                        While Bob Halls original design is a classic, neither of the "neo-hallmark" designs is compatible with a SmartDrive. One thing that could allow either company to market their chair as a "modern take on an classic" would be to integrate the SmartDrive's interface at the back of center frame rail where the clamp would normally attach.
                        I asked HoC about the smart drive connection recently and this is their solution, pretty clever:
                        Attached Files

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          I didn't think any of the big companies were heat treating post-welding. IIRC, that was a big debate years ago. One of the designers now/at one time with TiLite (Doug something ?!), who had previously designed the Quickie XTR, spoke about it in an old article; how he was frustrated with them for not heat treating before and after welding, which not doing so made his XTR design too heavy, since it needed more material to be strong enough.


                          Originally posted by Brad09 View Post
                          Speaking of HoC, the last time I spoke to Steve he explained one of the main reasons they only build frames out of titanium is because of the cost involved in heat treating aluminum frames after they are welded. For them, maybe not big manufacturers, it's cheaper to build a titanium frame (in addition to the other advantages mentioned in this thread). Regardless of the material, they make some of the best quality / innovative chairs I've seen.

                          I love seeing stuff like this:

                          https://www.instagram.com/p/BuNGmrNB..._web_copy_link
                          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

                          "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            That would be Doug Garven.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Yes, thanks SCI_OTR, that's him.

                              Well, I got my final quote, and paid my co-pays.

                              This was a bit of shocker, though, for an order form stock chair (and SD, most of the cost)




                              Edit: TYCON Medical, in South Eastern VA (Tidewater), did me a solid deal on this chair. I can recommend them without reservation. The initial delays were entirely accidental, I believe, and I haven't exactly been Johnny-on-the-Spot getting back to them when they've called or emailed. All-in-All, Jimmy and Nicky, at TYCON, are worth checking out for DME in this area. They tried really hard, and I always felt they had my interests in mind as top priority. I'll certainly be working with them again, if/when the need arises.
                              Last edited by Oddity; 05-31-2019, 12:33 PM.
                              "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

                              "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                What did you end up going with?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X