No announcement yet.

Activeaid owners : what is the longest it has lasted before the vinyl splits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Activeaid owners : what is the longest it has lasted before the vinyl splits

http://activeaid.com/products/raised-toilet-seats/

I've been using Activaid raised toliet and bath seats for 10+ years.

I have never babied a product as much as I do with the activaid, and yet I can't go more than 3 years before the vinyl dries and splits, and once it starts splitting it's game over it just splits everywhere and becomes practically useless as you can no longer wipe it down.

Has anyone managed to get more than 3 years out of one of these, using it everyday etc. What is the secret to keeping the vinyl from drying out?

Originally posted by NW-Will View Post
    http://activeaid.com/products/raised-toilet-seats/

I've been using Activaid raised toliet and bath seats for 10+ years.

I have never babied a product as much as I do with the activaid, and yet I can't go more than 3 years before the vinyl dries and splits, and once it starts splitting it's game over it just splits everywhere and becomes practically useless as you can no longer wipe it down.

Has anyone managed to get more than 3 years out of one of these, using it everyday etc. What is the secret to keeping the vinyl from drying out?
    There have been discussions on Care Cure Community about repairing these seats. The repair is similar to the closed cell foam pool floats using: http://store.texasrec.com/vinyl-repa...-and-adhesive/

Comment

Thanks for the tip.
      but once the vinyl starts drying out and splitting, repairing is endless as the vinyl just becomes so brittle.
      Would be tempting to paint the whole cushion in the vinyl repair sealant

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
      There have been discussions on Care Cure Community about repairing these seats. The repair is similar to the closed cell foam pool floats using: http://store.texasrec.com/vinyl-repa...-and-adhesive/

Comment

How about taking one to an upholsterer possibly a boat guy and have them make a cover?

Comment

I'm now buying their seats with the ComfortTuff upholstery. It's a bit like neoprene, but much, much more durable than their vinyl. It's spendy like all ActiveAid products, but I'm definitely sold on it......

Comment

I've had my roll in active aid for ten years now. Vinyl split in the first few years. I cover mine with a yoga mat. The thicker yoga mats tend to smell more than the thinner ones. A few layers, cutting out the hole in the middle, wrap it around, you can either duct tape the mat to the bottom or take the time to unscrew the seat from the frame and wrap it under that, then put the seat back into the frame. I'm sure everyone has a different preference on how it feels so just play around with it. You can also add layers with hot glue. I probably replace/change every 6 months-ish. Most yoga mats are anti-bacterial, I've never had a mildew problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Sit-N-Fly View Post
              I'm now buying their seats with the ComfortTuff upholstery. It's a bit like neoprene, but much, much more durable than their vinyl. It's spendy like all ActiveAid products, but I'm definitely sold on it......

We also switched to the ComfortTuff cushions. So far so good. My Dad uses a Comfortuff for his elevated toilet seat, and it is in perfect condition after 1 year. The vinyl cushions split so fast.... his last Activeaid vinyl cushion split in less than 4 months. We were just using duct tape to cover, but it required a lot of maintenance/issues.

We kept the elevated toilet seat frame, and just purchased the ComfortTuff cushion, which was compatible. Not so pricey, considering that it may now last.... forever!

Comment

I have had the same problem with Active Aid vinyl cracking.
                Next time around I am going to research and try a different product.

Comment

I switched to the comfort tuff seat cushion 4 or 5 years ago. It is more comfortable and in great shape. When the backrest pad cracked, I covered it with a sheet of adhesive-backed nylon taffeta, sold for sailboat sail repair. It is holding up well after almost two years.

Comment

Actually, I've had pretty good luck compared to those of you posting. I have the Active Aid "Waterfall" cushion where the padding wraps around into the commode cut out.

When I bought the "Waterfall" cushion a couple years ago, I talked to a customer service agent at Active Aid before ordering another seat cushion. She advised that you can prolong the life of the seat cushion by keeping the cushion clean and free from soap scum, don't use harsh chemicals to clean, rinse well after cleaning and wipe down to dry after each use. Hard water can be hard on the vinyl too.

Comment

My Dad had two of the waterfall cushions, and they cracked in mere months. It may also depend on your size/weight etc. my Dad was 6' 2" and about 215 lbs at the time. Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by hlh View Post
                        My Dad had two of the waterfall cushions, and they cracked in mere months. It may also depend on your size/weight etc. my Dad was 6' 2" and about 215 lbs at the time. Who knows.
                        For fear of responding to your post now because you harbor irritation with what I have posted to you in the past, but I will persevere with comments...don't get all upset and defensive...I am 6'3" and 130 lbs. I don't know if that makes the difference at all between your father's experience and mine with the Active Aid seat cushions. But, I think some of the tips from the Active Aid customer service agent may have some validity.

After two years, my cushion looks like it did when I bought it. I don't have any splits or cracks or drying...Maybe it has something to do with where we live, what water quality is like, what kinds of soaps we use...I don't know...and I am not casting derogatory comments your way....I am just making the observation, that I have had better luck with the Active Aid Waterfall seat cushion than others have had with any kind of Active Aid cushions...what is the difference...I don't know...I am not in your fathers situation or any other's situation of users who have a worse experience than I have had.

But, I have not experienced having to replace my Active Aid Waterfall cushion as often as other have expressed here.
                        Last edited by gjnl; 10-11-2018, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the input.
                          Yeah I baby my toilet seat. Wipe it down after every use with a wash cloth, just with water (our water is a little hard - PH between 7.0 - 8.0) and the vinyl just dries out and becomes brittle.
                          6' and 200lbs.

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
                          For fear of responding to your post now because you harbor irritation with what I have posted to you in the past, but I will persevere with comments...don't get all upset and defensive...I am 6'3" and 130 lbs. I don't know if that makes the difference at all between your father's experience and mine with the Active Aid seat cushions. But, I think some of the tips from the Active Aid customer service agent may have some validity.

After two years, my cushion looks like it did when I bought it. I don't have any splits or cracks or drying...Maybe it has something to do with where we live, what water quality is like, what kinds of soaps we use...I don't know...and I am not casting derogatory comments your way....I am just making the observation, that I have had better luck with the Active Aid Waterfall seat cushion than others have had with any kind of Active Aid cushions...what is the difference...I don't know...I am not in your fathers situation or any other's situation of users who have a worse experience than I have had.

But, I have not experienced having to replace my Active Aid Waterfall cushion as often as other have expressed here.

Comment

Just spoke to Activaid.

They don't do the
                            Comfortuff as a solid square... as in no cutout. So stuck with the vinyl for a solid square. This is for the bath seat/shower bench.
                            http://activeaid.com/
                            Last edited by NW-Will; 10-11-2018, 05:21 PM.

Comment

NL was at the hardware store buying some car wash liquid and saw a couple products that might help keep vinyl commode chair seats from drying out. Has anyone tried using Armorall Protectant or Mother's VLR (vinyl, leather, rubber). Both products say they help vinyl seats and trim in cars from drying out and cracking.

The description for Mother's VLR is:
                              Mothers VLR quickly and easily cleans, conditions and protects a wide variety of vinyl, leather and rubber surfaces. This pro-strength, pH balanced formula safely cleans even the most stubborn ground-in dirt, soil and stains. Infused with neatsfoot oil and lanolin, this all-in-one blend conditions and protects against drying, fading and cracking, in one simple step.

The Mother's product says it is not an oily protectant.

Comment

Working...
                              X