Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible how hard is it.. to get medicare to recognize a manual chair I go buy?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is it possible how hard is it.. to get medicare to recognize a manual chair I go buy?

    My suppliers method of attrition is wearing me down trying to get a new chair.

    The best line so far is... "we can refurbish your current chair"..... what kind of comedy is this?

    There must be some medicare code to refurbish chairs... what utter BS.

    So wondering if I just go out of pocket and buy the chair I need, how hard is it to get medicare to recognize it for maintenance purposes ?

    Just looking at an Invacare Topend Everyday(aluminium) ERGO terminator chair.

    Thanks

  • #2
    Originally posted by NW-Will View Post
    My suppliers method of attrition is wearing me down trying to get a new chair.
    Originally posted by NW-Will View Post

    The best line so far is... "we can refurbish your current chair"..... what kind of comedy is this?

    There must be some medicare code to refurbish chairs... what utter BS.

    So wondering if I just go out of pocket and buy the chair I need, how hard is it to get medicare to recognize it for maintenance purposes ?

    Just looking at an Invacare Topend Everyday(aluminium) ERGO terminator chair.

    Thanks



    The standard is that Medicare will pay for a new wheelchair every 5 years.

    Within that time, Medicare will pay for new tires, caster tires and batteries (if a power chair).

    What does refurbish a chair mean? Other than the maintenance items sited above, Medicare makes a determination that a chair, after a certain age (usually 5 years) is too expensive to maintain and that an new chair is the better option.

    If this is the smoke your current durable medical equipment supplier is blowing at you...it is time to find another one.

    Comment


    • #3
      Medicare will not pay for any repairs to a chair they did not buy.... sorry.

      Comment


      • #4
        Nor will they reimburse for any accessories you might want at a later date. This even includes replacement cushions. I needed a new cushion a while back and was denied and denied again upon appeal, the reason cited being they won't accessories a chair they didn't initially reimburse for and they consider a cushion an accessory.
        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

        "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

        "Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Oddity View Post
          Nor will they reimburse for any accessories you might want at a later date. This even includes replacement cushions. I needed a new cushion a while back and was denied and denied again upon appeal, the reason cited being they won't accessories a chair they didn't initially reimburse for and they consider a cushion an accessory.
          This sounds like it means if you have private insurance buy a chair and then transition to Medicare they won't buy the cushion?

          So I guess you just need to get Medicare to buy an entire new chair so that you can get a cushion... right?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by funklab View Post
            This sounds like it means if you have private insurance buy a chair and then transition to Medicare they won't buy the cushion?

            So I guess you just need to get Medicare to buy an entire new chair so that you can get a cushion... right?

            Exactly. But the good folks up at Woodrow Wilson Rehab in VA would not do that. They were looking out more for Medicare's budget than my needs. I haven't been back since. (This caused s big argument between a couple of PTs while I was there. One agreed with me the other didn't. The billing department decided it.)
            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

            "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

            "Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

            Comment


            • #7
              A new wheelchair every 5 years is a covered Medicare benefit. If you can't get it covered, then something is wrong either with the way you are making your case or someone not hearing your case.

              Comment


              • #8
                Even if its less than 5 years, if your doctor says its medically necessary for ADL you can get it. You need to base all your augments on ADL. And generally stuff you do inside your home.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Correct. Medicare only considers what you require for use/mobility inside your home. They clearly state that community mobility needs are not a covered DME benefit.

                  (KLD)
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Medicare has covered repairs/maintenance/cushions for my original chair which was purchased by private insurance while
                    I was in acute rehab immediately post-injury.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by annev308 View Post
                      Medicare has covered repairs/maintenance/cushions for my original chair which was purchased by private insurance while
                      I was in acute rehab immediately post-injury.
                      My first power chair was purchased with private insurance. I became eligible for Medicare about six months after the chair was purchased. When I became eligible for Medicare, the same durable medical supplier that specified the chair originally, registered the chair with Medicare and for the next 7 years Medicare paid for batteries, cushions, cushion covers, tires, casters, a couple new motors etc. I don't know what kind of paper work they used to "register" the chair with Medicare, but there was never a question about repairs and replacement parts.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If where you got the chair originally was also a registered Medicare supplier, and you live in a Competitive Bidding Area, it's possible. Timing is also a factor. It's not common though, but sometimes the stars do align.
                        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

                        "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

                        "Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks for the responses.
                          This is starting to get me down.. it's so depressing. Just not getting anywhere. and don't know where to turn to

                          It seem anecdotally, if you have a chair, and then get medicare they will transfer it to medicare.
                          No examples of anyone who's on medicare buying a chair and getting it transferred to medicare.... ?

                          Of course if I buy it then I'm stuck with all the repair costs over the life of the chair.

                          Anyone know off the top of their head before I got searching for it.. what is the MAX value medicare pays for a chair.. I thought it was like $2000.
                          Then add on all the codes for the random stuff etc.

                          If Medicare only cares about you inside the dwelling, and Medicaid is supposed to support you outside and inside, how is it medicaid won't pay anymore except the co-pay ontop of the medicare amount?

                          With everything else if medicare doesn't pay, medicaid kicks in with no problems...

                          And for the big joke of the day.. medicare covered a set of Rowheels for me !!! WTF Awesome of course.. but how is it they can make getting an appropriate chair such a total nightmare.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by NW-Will View Post
                            It seem anecdotally, if you have a chair, and then get medicare they will transfer it to medicare.
                            No examples of anyone who's on medicare buying a chair and getting it transferred to medicare.... ?
                            When Medicare funds a chair, they know they did that...no need to transfer it to Medicare. ^^^

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Sorry I wasn't clear
                              If I am on medicare.... and buy the chair myself, as I am getting nowhere getting a newchair through my supplier. Can I then transfer the chair to medicare for maintenance purposes etc.


                              Originally posted by gjnl View Post
                              When Medicare funds a chair, they know they did that...no need to transfer it to Medicare. ^^^

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X