Welding titanium chairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
    Haven't done an industry-wide investigation on warranties, but Ki Mobility uses the same "expected" language.

http://www2.kimobility.com/OwnersMan...mi.pdf#page=44
    It is quite common.

There at least 3 definitions of 'life time warranty' I'm familiar with. Life of the owner, life of the product, and life of the company offering the warranty. It really seems like TiLite is claiming life of the product, for the original owner only, further modified by their definition of life of the product. It'd be great to hear from them exactly what they mean.

In the mean time, OP oughtta submit his 6 year old cracked frame for warranty and see what happens. No reason not to IMO.
    Last edited by Oddity; 19 Aug 2018, 12:51 PM.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Beware that since he tried to weld it himself they may not cover it anymore.
      Hopefully they do, but I imagine they can't guarantee the integrity of the frame after any DIY fabrication.

Comment

Originally posted by brian View Post
        Beware that since he tried to weld it himself they may not cover it anymore.
        Hopefully they do, but I imagine they can't guarantee the integrity of the frame after any DIY fabrication.
        Probably so. Which would be ironic, since they couldn't guarantee the integrity of the frame they fabricated, either, considering the fact it cracked.
        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

I doubt that they would try to re-weld that joint anyway, just replace the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Tman9513 View Post
            You can make your own smaller Argon purge box if you want and it will help (instead of a chamber), but a good welder can do it without. I've done aluminum and steel with my TIG machine but it doesn't have all of the pulse adjustments of the more expensive machines. All of my chairs have been aluminum anyhow, so I haven't messed with titanium. You definitely need to keep more gas on it and a longer post flow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkZN8st-BM8
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W51wtS0EKSg

I will say that I have definitely seen a difference when using a gas lens on aluminum for sure.
            i prefer “welding tips and tricks” or “the fabrication series” myself

https://youtu.be/H1wJlySEgHg

Comment

I've cracked the frames on two TiLite TX chairs. Both frames were replaced under TiLite LIFETIME warranty. I just had to send them a photo of the damaged frame. The new replacement frame took about two months to arrive, so I had mine welded at a local fab shop while I waited. The welder charged me $10 and it took about a 1/2 hour. The Ti welding rods are pricey.
              T12 Complete since 1982. TiLite Tx

Comment

Originally posted by rshadd View Post
                I've cracked the frames on two TiLite TX chairs. Both frames were replaced under TiLite LIFETIME warranty. I just had to send them a photo of the damaged frame. The new replacement frame took about two months to arrive, so I had mine welded at a local fab shop while I waited. The welder charged me $10 and it took about a 1/2 hour. The Ti welding rods are pricey.
                How old were they?

Comment

Working...
                X