Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marathons vs Run Rights

Hello All,
    This past weekend I had to go through some pretty deep mud with my chair. I had my Carbon Blades on that have Run Rights mounted on them and they were filled with mud. when I got home I switched out from my Blades to the Stock Shadow wheels that have Marathons on them so I could clean up the Blades. I have to say that the Marathons feel like pigs comparatively even with 145PSI in the Marathons and 120PSI in the Run Rights. I am pretty surprised just how big of a difference there is between the two, it is VERY noticeable.

Cheers,
    Jim

Exactly why I switched to right runs years ago.

Comment

Yep. The Rightrun Plus is a decent middle ground. Same puncture resistant layer as the Marathon Plus but with the Rightrun top tread layer instead of the thick (soft) Marathon tread.
      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Plus easier to install the Right Runs and less money per tire, the advantage to the Marathon Plus is they last longer due to the thicker rubber.
        "Life is about how you
        respond to not only the
        challenges you're dealt but
        the challenges you seek...If
        you have no goals, no
        mountains to climb, your
        soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

I had 559 wheels built for my handcycle and use the Marathons. I haven't had a flat or had to change them out in the 5 years I've owned them. Before I would go thru a dozen tires a year using the Continentals on a 571 wheel. Used to get a flat everytime I hit a small pothole on the road; not anymore. I hated having to ride home on a flat.Never tore up the rim though.

I have a set of Marathons on a set of spare wheels. I never use them as the tread tears up my hands bigtime. I wheel with my hands wrapped around the wheel and pushrim. The Right Runs work great and are very fast.

Comment

Huge difference between rr and rr plus...........as oddity pointed out the rr plus and mp are same tire minus tread.
            Bike-on.com rep
            John@bike-on.com
            c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
            sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
              Huge difference between rr and rr plus...........as oddity pointed out the rr plus and mp are same tire minus tread.
              Hmmmmm...I wonder where a I heard that...
              "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

How long do the RR last?
                Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

It really depends on the typical surfaces you're rolling on. I put a set on my "house" chair, which only sees hardwood floors, slate tile, and deck boards. They've been on since 2010. Still fine. They only lasted me about a year and a half on my "out and about" chair.

Comment

Originally posted by Crappler View Post
                    How long do the RR last?
                    rr plus last nearly as long as mp. rr last much less. i have over 850 miles of hard use on rr plus using a stricker attachable.
                    to be clear rr plus are same cost as mp per tire. regular rr are much less, about half that.
                    Bike-on.com rep
                    John@bike-on.com

Comment

I just put my Blades on this morning and my chair really does feel totally different with the Right Runs.

How do you tell the difference between the RR Plus and the regular RR's? I think I have the regular ones but not positive.

As for wear, I am not sure what "normal" usage is for a wheelchair user being a newbie but I am pretty active getting out of the house pretty much every day and doing stuff. My wife and I also go for a walk/roll down by the beach 1-3 times a week and the loop is about 2.25 miles. have been in the my chair for almost exactly 2 months and the RR's, which I use almost exclusively on my Blades, are showing wear for sure but with that said I do not know how long they will last. With that said even if I get 6 months out of them I would still use them because of the performance difference.

Cheers,
                      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by ljh View Post
                        i just put my blades on this morning and my chair really does feel totally different with the right runs.

How do you tell the difference between the rr plus and the regular rr's? I think i have the regular ones but not positive.

As for wear, i am not sure what "normal" usage is for a wheelchair user being a newbie but i am pretty active getting out of the house pretty much every day and doing stuff. My wife and i also go for a walk/roll down by the beach 1-3 times a week and the loop is about 2.25 miles. Have been in the my chair for almost exactly 2 months and the rr's, which i use almost exclusively on my blades, are showing wear for sure but with that said i do not know how long they will last. With that said even if i get 6 months out of them i would still use them because of the performance difference.

Cheers,
                        jim
                        they say right run plus on sidewall
                        Bike-on.com rep
                        John@bike-on.com

Comment

I wish right runs would come in black. I don't want the gray stripe.

Comment

i hate the gray stripe, that's what keeps me from it. I really think I might do the Schwalbe ones this time. Problem is; they're expensive: $59 per tire, and I have no feedback.
                            Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

Main thing is to make sure the toe in-out is adjusted right. Otherwise, the tire will wear down quicker.

Comment

Working...
                              X