No announcement yet.

Anyone mount LED light to their 'chair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone mount LED light to their 'chair?

Has anyone mounted a bicycle LED light to their manual 'chair for dark night mobility?

One evening leaving my building it was so dark outside I could not see the ramp to the parking lot where my van was parked. I had to use my cell phone light to find the ramp. I reported this to my supervisor the next day and they spent $4k on lighting the entrance and front parking lot with bright LED lights.

At one time I had a small piece of velcro on the side of my 'chair and when I needed light I carried a 2AA cell Maglite with velcro on it to give me light.

Has anyone mounted a LED bicycle light or LED flashlight to their 'chair?

Can you show pictures of how you mounted it, manufacturer and model number of light?

Thanks!

Ti
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 07-07-2018, 10:17 PM. Reason: KLD comment below.
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

I have these on my chair: https://www.quantumrehab.com/about-u...d=160606155605

I love them and use them more than I thought I would.

Comment

I think Ti is looking for something he can use on a manual chair. Lots of power chairs have head-light options.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I run any old LED flashlight in a rotating swivel mount intended for mountain bikes. Running a Fenix PD32 in it right now, but I swap it around. I found the mount on Amazon, not sure of make or model. It can rotate around the frame tube as well as swivel perpendicular to it, so it's handy to use. Not the prettiest contraption but I do swivel it under the frame when not in use. Mount and light together weigh ~9oz.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
          Running a Fenix PD32 in it right now,
          I like Fenix...good stuff

Comment

My son uses these. They can be installed on either horizontal or vertical parts of your chair. Add virtually no weight.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Skully-LED-Bi...689/bn_7275273
            Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Comment

I currently do not have any mounted to my chair but if I were going to I would use these to mount them. I use them on my attachment for mounting flashlight and other things as well. I really like that flashlight I have tried cheaper ones but this one was on sale when I got it and I really like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                I like Fenix...good stuff
                Yep! 4Sevens and Fenix are my go-to sources for portable, powerful, illumination. I run a Surefire on a rifle, for the purported durability, by I'm not sold. They're too costly. Been trialing an Inforce APL-C on my EDC handgun for 6mos and I like it. Might transition to them for my rifles too. I've been rotating the same 3-4 handhelds in these mounts across my 3 chairs for 4-5 years and I've never been let down. That mount is a good damper for chair vibrations. It has some wiggle (not rattle) so the mounted light doesn't get shaken to death. I use it daily. Or, nightly, rather.
                "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
                  Yep! 4Sevens and Fenix are my go-to sources for portable, powerful, illumination. I run a Surefire on a rifle, for the purported durability, by I'm not sold. They're too costly. Been trialing an Inforce APL-C on my EDC handgun for 6mos and I like it. Might transition to them for my rifles too. I've been rotating the same 3-4 handhelds in these mounts across my 3 chairs for 4-5 years and I've never been let down. That mount is a good damper for chair vibrations. It has some wiggle (not rattle) so the mounted light doesn't get shaken to death. I use it daily. Or, nightly, rather.
                  I live in a perpetual glow of sodium vapors, so my usage is less frequent (although they are converting to LED...I wish they'd convert to none, but we have certain unsavory demographics which allegedly are repelled by light waves, lol). But when I do use a flashlight, it's a Fenix LD41. Nice size, and output, and I like the battery format. Of course it has Eneloop Pro batteries to allow for full lumen output/run time.

And when I really want to see things...Maxabeam! I have a tripod lug on the battery pack...think it might be overkill to attach to a wheelchair?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by titanium4motion View Post
                    Has anyone mounted a bicycle LED light to their manual 'chair for dark night mobility?

One evening leaving my building it was so dark outside I could not see the ramp to the parking lot where my van was parked. I had to use my cell phone light to find the ramp. I reported this to my supervisor the next day and they spent $4k on lighting the entrance and front parking lot with bright LED lights.

At one time I had a small piece of velcro on the side of my 'chair and when I needed light I carried a 2AA cell Maglite with velcro on it to give me light.

Has anyone mounted a LED bicycle light or LED flashlight to their 'chair?

Can you show pictures of how you mounted it, manufacturer and model number of light?

Thanks!

Ti
                    There are so many options to mount them and get rechargeable and most of on off buttons that can me mount very easy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-x-CREE-XM...oAAOSwrhBZCCij

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Brigh...QAAOSwubFaYWIF

Comment

you may want to keep a quality headlamp handy. This way you can see things that may not be illuminated by a light fixed to the chair.

I keep one in my bedroom for power outages, though I have a generator and this is less of a problem now.

Comment

I am in the early stages of this. The plan is a 5v system so she can use a common portable battery for cell phones the connection is micro USB.
                        I have the headlights ( http://www.dx.com/p/zhishunjia-zsj-5...0#.W2P2K9Buhdo ) in hand, and am looking at tail lights, but they all have multiple modes - I want on/ off only. Will post source and project pix when done.

Comment

Any bike shop will have a selection of white and red LED lights that can mount easily to a wheelchair frame. Some are quad-friendly with big buttons and simple mounts. They run from under $10 to over $100 for the fancy shit.

- be sure to get one that is USB chargeable. changing batteries is a pain.
                          - be sure to get one that mounts at the angle you want. Some run perpendicular and some run parallel to the bar they mount on.

Comment

Some things to consider:
                            1. Weight. The lighter the light, the more likely you'll carry it with you (e.g. throw it in your backpack, attach it to your chair before you leave).
                            2. Power. The LED bike lights are amazing. The technology has come a long way lately.
                            3. Recharge. USB recharge is fantastic. For me, it means that you're more less likely to run out of power when out on your chair.
                            4. Objective. Some lights are intended to help you see, some are intended to help you be seen. Based on your original post it sounds like you're mostly focused on the former.

With that in mind. I'd personally go for a rechargeable LED light that you can toss into a backpack/bag so you have it with you and have it handy/charged when you need it. A bulky light will likely be sitting at home when you need it. Some of the LED bike lights suggested here look like great options. The other option to consider is a powerful head lamp (e.g. camping head lamp). You can get some powerful head lamps, and if you check out Sierra Trading Post or a similar online site you can probably find a good deal. The benefit of a head lamp is that the light will go wherever you're looking, so you don't necessarily need to light a huge swath of real estate in front of you.

Good luck!

Comment

Slightly off-topic but related. Accessories made for bicycles will more easily mount on dual tube chairs than mono tube chairs. That's because dual tube chairs have thinner tubes that are more like bicycles.

Comment

Working...
                              X