Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manual wheelchair power assist device recommendations needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post

The smart drive was never really intended for quads and it does not work great for higher quads at all no matter what anybody may tell you. I had three different versions and worked with max mobility to try to make it more quad friendly and it just was not to be the spinnergy ZX-1 is the best for quads, hands down. For me I don't need power assist all the time I use it as needed and with a touch of a button I can connect and disconnect from my ZX in like three seconds...
    Ok, but you didn't give any explanation, no reasons for your opinion. If you have information why the SD isn't functional for quads please share.

I'm a C5/6 quad but it's an incomplete injury. Limited hand function but very stable trunk. With the tap start and stop it seems easy enough to use.

I did take another look at the ZX-1 and I could see it as an option. One problem is wheelchair compatibility. I use a Quickie GPV, it does not have a cross tube at the right place.
    Last edited by wes4dbt; 13 Sep 2020, 2:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wes4dbt View Post

Ok, but you didn't give any explanation, no reasons for your opinion. If you have information why the SD isn't functional for quads please share.

I'm a C5/6 quad but it's an incomplete injury. Limited hand function but very stable trunk. With the tap start and stop it seems easy enough to use.

I did take another look at the ZX-1 and I could see it as an option. One problem is wheelchair compatibility. I use a Quickie GPV, it does not have a cross tube at the right place.

I can't speak for fuentejps, or quads in general (I'm a T12), but I suspect the issues with SD -vs- Zx1 have more to do with setting them up; hooking it up/taking it off and turning the power unit on/off; more so than how it's activated once properly installed and turned on.
      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Just want to add that with my zx1 I have a specific place in my home where I put it when not in use. Near it is the charger.
        If someone has difficulty pushing their manual chair indoors - I am thinking of situations where someone parks/doffs the zx1, then they need to push their manual chair to another location in the home or, push within home to get to where zx is parked (over carpet?), this might be difficult. With mostly hard floors in my home the use of zx1 and getting to it is not an issue. I mainly use it when I go outdoors as even the slightest grade is impossible anymore due to aging shoulders. It is so easy to get it on and off, and I've had no problems with it at all, after 5 or 6 years.

Comment

Well today I have had it with my SD. I went to the drag races. I got about a 100 from the car and it began cutting out. I beat on it (taping the hand rim) for an hour. Not a thing. Dragged it back to the car. When I got about 20 feet from the car it worked. Too many people/things on blue tooth at the track. If I can't get the switches, I'm done with it and I've been a big fan for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
            Too many people/things on blue tooth at the track. If I can't get the switches, I'm done with it and I've been a big fan for many years.

Has this happened to you anywhere else? Is SD aware of this problem?

Comment

• baldfatdad
              baldfatdad commented
              Editing a comment
              I've had it happen a bit in a few other places. Not this bad though. I'm going to call SD this week.

I have to chime in again.........I just can't say enough about the ZX1. Reliability is so important to me. Husband is also paralyzed and we don't want to have to adjust equipment, etc. after initial set-up. The zx1 functions like a mini power wheelchair that you don't have to transfer your body into. You just back into it and press buttons to attach. If going somewhere by van with lift, you don't need to transfer to a power wheelchair (unless you need the power wheelchair with the height adjustment for shopping). When I shop in the zx1 I tuck a reacher along the side of my thigh and use it in stores. If I have a bad shoulder day and decide to use it around the house, I can doff it nearby when I'm in my smallish kitchen, where it's easier for me to move around while preparing a meal.
            Something else I like about the zx1 is that I can move stuff that I could never move without it attached. My method is to use one hand on the controller and the other hand wrangling the object. In other words, I can move around the house or yard while holding stuff.
            Wes: not sure what you meant about not having the camber bar on your wheelchair in the right place to accommodate a zx1. The order for a zx1 includes measuring from floor to camber bar for a perfect fit. Also, I heard somewhere that if you are prescribed a new wheelchair AND zx1 under Medicare, it is allowable. That is, I believe if you are prescribed a zx1, Medicare wants a new wheelchair to go with it - to make sure all fits.

Comment

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
              .... Too many people/things on blue tooth at the track. If I can't get the switches, I'm done with it and I've been a big fan for many years.
              Carbon fiber blocks/suppresses bluetooth frequencies.

Ask the RC sailplane guys about what happened when they switched to 2.4 GHz radio systems.

I have lots of CF on my chair and had nothing but trouble with the BT controller.

And yes SD knows about it, or at least i told them about it over four years ago.
              Doh!

Comment

Originally posted by triumph View Post
                Just want to add that with my zx1 I have a specific place in my home where I put it when not in use. Near it is the charger.
                If someone has difficulty pushing their manual chair indoors - I am thinking of situations where someone parks/doffs the zx1, then they need to push their manual chair to another location in the home or, push within home to get to where zx is parked (over carpet?), this might be difficult. With mostly hard floors in my home the use of zx1 and getting to it is not an issue. I mainly use it when I go outdoors as even the slightest grade is impossible anymore due to aging shoulders. It is so easy to get it on and off, and I've had no problems with it at all, after 5 or 6 years.

triumph,

Thanks for the reply,

Sorry for taking so long to reply but I checked for several days and there were not any new reply so I stopped checking. Glad I was bored tonight and thought I'd see what going on here.

Like you my shoulder is basically shot. 43yrs of abuse will do that. Got a cortisone shot @ 3 weeks ago but it's already a problem again, now a got to wait another 3 months before I can get another. I actually have been giving the ZX more thought and basically using it as you do. Inside the house is not too bad but I do have a little ramp for going in/out the garage. I can still push up it but if I do it more than once a day I'll pay for it later. One question I have is, how do you like the joystick? Bought a Smart Chair a few years back and hated the joystick, would just jerk you all over, it was like full on or full off.

Wes: not sure what you meant about not having the camber bar on your wheelchair in the right place to accommodate a zx1. The order for a zx1 includes measuring from floor to camber bar for a perfect fit. Also, I heard somewhere that if you are prescribed a new wheelchair AND zx1 under Medicare, it is allowable. That is, I believe if you are prescribed a zx1, Medicare wants a new wheelchair to go with it - to make sure all fits.
                A Quickie GPV rigid has no camber bar at all. Just cross tube supports that are under the height of the axle. A should be able to just call and get a list of compatible chairs.

If Medicare will pay that would be great, I'll have to do some research. Other wise a ZX1 and Chair, probably @ $12,000. Ouch. Don't think I could make myself spend that much. Plus there is the problem of the stress on my should from transferring in/out of my chair several times a day. With my spastisity, after 5 or 6 hours I need to stretch.out. Money might be better spent on a ceiling hoist. lol

Thank for your thoughts.

Comment

I picked up a used programmer for $120? It lets you program all the functions and their ballistics of the joystick.
                  IMO a necessity for a ZX1. Set it up so it works for you.

69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                  NW NJ

Comment

Wes, I'm onmy second ZX1.The first was one of Pat Tallinos models he built, the second was one from Spinergy after Pat sold the patent. The first was a. SLA battery setup and would get maybe 2 or 3 miles of battery use. The second was Lithium that last much further than the SLA. Not sure how far because I've never come close to depleting the battery.

The first one seemed to have more power going up a ramp from a dead stop with the lithium having no problem if in motion going up the ramp. Like PFCS, I bought a used programmer to change the settings of both machines.

I'm glad I listened to John(Fuente) and went with Lithium. My workers Comp. bought my second one.

Comment

wes4dbt: re your question about joy stick: on occasion the joystick can slightly jerk a bit when maneuvering. I'm aware this can be adjusted with a programmer, but I don't have one. It's not really an issue for me. I will add that if I have to reach down or do some acrobatic reaching I shut off the zx1 until done so I don't accidentally touch/hit the joystick - simple safety precaution.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	83089412-BC42-4A5F-9C85-B0A9B8B83FEA.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	622.6 KB ID:	2903368 Click image for larger version  Name:	3A39F784-A85E-430D-9436-F0834BC8CF8C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	607.3 KB ID:	2903367

$175 + a few pieces of hardware and a bunch of time.
                        This was yesterday when it got done, but I had to go to a jam in Jersey City so it only got a short road test.
                        Today we go to a big public park for a picnic and it will get beat on.
                        I CAN say, it has virtually NO brake and goes 20mph.
                        I believe it was Ettore Buggatti said: I build my cars to go, not to stop! (but I'm thinking brakes might be a good accessory)
                        Last edited by pfcs49; 4 Oct 2020, 10:37 AM.
                        69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                        NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by triumph View Post
                          wes4dbt: re your question about joy stick: on occasion the joystick can slightly jerk a bit when maneuvering. I'm aware this can be adjusted with a programmer, but I don't have one. It's not really an issue for me. I will add that if I have to reach down or do some acrobatic reaching I shut off the zx1 until done so I don't accidentally touch/hit the joystick - simple safety precaution.
                          Better safe than sorry.

Another question, lol

The ZX1 lifts the back tires up. Doesn't this end up tilting you forward? I don't use any dump in my chair.

Comment

Originally posted by wes4dbt View Post

Better safe than sorry.

Another question, lol

The ZX1 lifts the back tires up. Doesn't this end up tilting you forward? I don't use any dump in my chair.

Yes, there is a slight tilt forward sensation, however the only time I notice it is when I go downhill from my mailbox to house as we have steep driveway. When going downhill on zx1 I sometimes go a bit back and forth (like skiers do?), to lessen the feeling.
                            When hooking up to the zx1, the rear tires are meant to just "sweep" the floor, not really be up off the floor - at least that's what's been described to me. So, if rear tires are too high it would certainly make one feel more tilted forward. When I hook up to the zx I then give my rear wheels a push, and if they are totally free-wheeling, I feel I have them too high and re-adjust. After getting used to it I know just how much to raise the rear wheels when connecting.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to reply, very helpful information.

Comment

Working...
                              X