Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manual wheelchair power assist device recommendations needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pete4sake View Post
    Do You have a rigid frame chair? I have a Tilite folder I am a para but have not found anyway possible to attach SD. It's actually not that easy for an Able Body helper to put it on You have to get down on knees and hold two spring loaded tabs in at same time to get it attached I am not sure but am interested in how to attach to rigid frame but I think it must be much easier I don't really recommend for folder but see some apps for rigid frame However there is a lot of control issues and expect it to fail when you need it most (going up a grade)and kick into high gear when you need it least (down grade) Pro's for hard surface flat areas it works well and will go a long ways
    I have a rigid frame chair (TiLite). I find that it's pretty straightforward to attach the SD - turn in my chair a bit, reach back, and hook the SD on the axle of my chair. It's surprisingly good on inclines, although I wonder if hills will have an impact on the long-term life of the unit. From my perspective, the control issues are negligible when you have a bit of practice with the SD. You turn the wrist unit off when going down an incline and you can quickly engage/disengage when you're navigating. I find that it's very natural when out with friends so nobody really notices - you just keep up with them. One thing to note - I have the 'original' wrist unit with just one button. I'm told by friends that this unit is more reliable than the new one. Maybe someone with more experience with the new wrist unit can comment.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyFan View Post
      I have a rigid frame chair (TiLite). I find that it's pretty straightforward to attach the SD - turn in my chair a bit, reach back, and hook the SD on the axle of my chair. It's surprisingly good on inclines, although I wonder if hills will have an impact on the long-term life of the unit. From my perspective, the control issues are negligible when you have a bit of practice with the SD. You turn the wrist unit off when going down an incline and you can quickly engage/disengage when you're navigating. I find that it's very natural when out with friends so nobody really notices - you just keep up with them. One thing to note - I have the 'original' wrist unit with just one button. I'm told by friends that this unit is more reliable than the new one. Maybe someone with more experience with the new wrist unit can comment.
      i had their newest mx2 and the 2 previous versions. for a quad, the mx2 is much better but still has the downsides mentioned.......without hand function, no way you can mount it solo either in the chair. possibly from van seat or car.... they we great company, i havent dealt with them direct since permobil bought them.
      Bike-on.com rep
      John@bike-on.com
      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
      sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Originally posted by pete4sake View Post
        Do You have a rigid frame chair? I have a Tilite folder I am a para but have not found anyway possible to attach SD. It's actually not that easy for an Able Body helper to put it on You have to get down on knees and hold two spring loaded tabs in at same time to get it attached I am not sure but am interested in how to attach to rigid frame but I think it must be much easier I don't really recommend for folder but see some apps for rigid frame However there is a lot of control issues and expect it to fail when you need it most (going up a grade)and kick into high gear when you need it least (down grade) Pro's for hard surface flat areas it works well and will go a long ways
        I have a box frame chair and have to say it is a good product bit unless things have changed it has been a disappointment with a mounting system for box frame. I paid alot for the first generation when it came out. My vendor did not even know it woud be an issue and I found out on my own there was a sling device , It is kind of lame and a deterrent to using. At 40 plus years in the chair it is a hassle I would have been able to manage fairly easy @ 20 years but then at 20 years didn't need assitive device.

Not being sour grapes but put out a lot of $ for something that is not practical with my chair . I wish vendor was better informed.

If I had it to do over I would get a zx.

Edited to add the people at Smart Drive were nice folks but no solutions to my situation.
        Last edited by ChesBay; 2 Jul 2018, 8:14 PM. Reason: info

Comment

4grand, just been sitting around...http:///forum/showthread.php?252533-...38#post1851538

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

I am sincerely grateful for all of the insight!

How much initial set up expertise and general maintenance is needed between the ZX-1 or Twion rims? I?m using a rigid TiLite chair. Will the Twion wheel act as a brake going down steeper grades?
            If you think that you can or if you feel you can't, either way your right.

Comment

I've used a zx1 now for about 5 years and could not function outdoors without it due to aging shoulders. We have a van with a lift, so transporting it is not an issue - it weighs about 70+ pounds and you cannot 'take it apart' for routine transport.
              My husband, also a wheeler, got a Smart Drive and I tried it - I did not have the strength to stop it and drove into the back of our house, with the drive wheel ending up turned sideways. However, I have not tried the newer models that allow you to stop with the wrist band device. Hubby just got one of those and is practicing outdoors with no problems thus far.
              If I had to decide on the two devices at present I would still go with the zx1 - I'm older and like the direct contact with the joystick and the fact that when I have a bad-shoulder day I can easily use it indoors - move around easily in the kitchen preparing a meal. However, when indoors I do not do any transfers with it connected - I'm in the habit of grabbing my tires to do transfers and in ZX1 wheelchair brakes are not supposed to be put on, so it would be an extra step to put them on for transfers, but then I just don't feel as stable as when my wheelchair is completely on the floor, unconnected to zx1.

Husband and I have use of our arms and fingers and were able to do the initial adjustments when zx1 arrived. Later we made some adjustments to the anti-tilt set up. None of this is very complicated, just time consuming if you picture two people in wheelchairs trying to maneuver out of each others way to use tools, hold stuff in place, etc. We referred to the manual a lot. FYI, we never did do any adjustments to allow me to retain the armrest holders on my everyday chair. We had to remove the holders, thus if I ever need the armrests while in my manual chair, can't use them. (Don't use them anyway).

You can try to do a Search on this site for ZX1 as I think there's a thread discussing all sorts of issues regarding the armrest, etc. At the moment I can't remember the name of the woman who was very knowledgeable about this and made many adjustments for her husband.
              Last edited by triumph; 3 Jul 2018, 8:20 AM.

Comment

Thinking going to power assist wheels. They would be on the chair 24/7 so no worries about putting them on/off. I'm a 67yr old quad and my shoulders are just wearing out after 43+ yrs. Right now I'm using a Quickie GPV around the house and a power chair when I go out.

Looking at E-Motion or Twion, couple of questions.

Will they mount to a Quickie GPV
                How much wider will they make my chair.

I know I've seen this info but can't find it today.

thanks

Edit:

More questions,

I would be using them for every day use. I live alone so I'm always cooking, clean....... every day tasks. So functionality is important. Like I'm always dropping things (quad hands) and when I bend over I have to grab my hand rim. would the chair say stable? Do you have to be careful with the push rims because I'm always banging into thing. Anyone have experience in using these wheels for every day around the house tasks?
                Last edited by wes4dbt; 7 Sep 2020, 6:09 PM.

Comment

I have a ZX-1. One nice benefit is that once attached to your chair, you can pop your wheels off and run without them or fix a flat, etc.
                  Your bulky manual chair instantly gets hugely narrower! Bathrooms that were formerly inaccessible become easy!

The downside is that the damn thing is too heavy (75lbs) for my wife to lift into our station wagon, but I bought a folding ramp so we can load it. Time will tell if leaving the unit attached works better on the ramp/into the car or not. (but this means I'm stuck in the car, unable to help with any problems)
                  I think we're finally going somewhere we'll need it soon (Longwood Gardens) and will finally get to use it off the homestead.
                  (I made a hand-crank, swiveling, hoist for the MB 350 SUV, but it won't work in the Volvo V90 architecture. If anybody could use it, PM me)

I wish there were something easier to load. Smart Drive doesn't excite me. I am currently casually looking at scooter-board hacking and a suitable scooter. (I was able to pick up a new Segway scooter for only $400, but then discovered it won't enable motor run until it goes 3kph?1.8mph=useless for us)
                  Firefly is another option that looks interesting for traveling
                  69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                  NW NJ

Comment

I have a Smartdrive, and can't get power assist Wheels because I use D's Locks. But it rained pretty hard today, and it struck me that a big disadvantage to the Smartdrive is that I need to be able to get good grip on my push rims in order to steer and sometimes to slow it down quickly. That doesn't work for me when my push rims are wet since they become slick as ice, so it's really not very effective when there's water on the ground or there's any kind of rain. That said, you probably shouldn't be using any of these in the rain!
                    C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

pfc, ej, Thanks for the reply.

I have looked into the ZX-1 and the Smartdrive but both seem to hinder the functionality of a manual chair in some ways. I find my manual chair much more functional around the house than an electric.

I'm just guessing but the Smartdrive doesn't seem to be designed for tight areas and small movements, like when your cooking. I don't want to have to be turning it on and off.

That's why I was looking for information of E-Motion/Twion wheels.

Comment

I can't think of a way the Smart Drive hinders the functionality of a manual chair. Mine is almost always attached and I barely notice its there when its off.

Depending on how you setup the sensitivity on the control unit, it can be harder or easier to engage when you need it. Mine is setup fairly sensitive. re: engaging it for short distances, I don't see that as an issue because even to use something like the eMotion you have to reach to your push rims and push a couple strokes to get somewhere. With the SmartDrive you're still reaching to your push rims but instead of pushing a couple times to move you're tapping your thumb on the rim a couple times. It's less motion and work than pushing to turn on/off a hub based system, and even easier IMO, once you're used to it and it becomes second nature.

I think the biggest reason to choose a hub system over a SD is the braking assist.

Just my .02
                        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by wes4dbt View Post

I have looked into the ZX-1 and the Smartdrive but both seem to hinder the functionality of a manual chair in some ways. I find my manual chair much more functional around the house than an electric.

I'm just guessing but the Smartdrive doesn't seem to be designed for tight areas and small movements, like when your cooking. I don't want to have to be turning it on and off.

If you buy from a DME via Medicare they will give you one or two visits to experiment with it. Any other vendor should as well, but if it will be a private, 2nd hand purchase, I'd go to a vendor and ask to trial it anyway. They only have to attach one little bit of hardware to the back of your chair, so it only costs them a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
                            I can't think of a way the Smart Drive hinders the functionality of a manual chair. Mine is almost always attached and I barely notice its there when its off.

Depending on how you setup the sensitivity on the control unit, it can be harder or easier to engage when you need it. Mine is setup fairly sensitive. re: engaging it for short distances, I don't see that as an issue because even to use something like the eMotion you have to reach to your push rims and push a couple strokes to get somewhere. With the SmartDrive you're still reaching to your push rims but instead of pushing a couple times to move you're tapping your thumb on the rim a couple times. It's less motion and work than pushing to turn on/off a hub based system, and even easier IMO, once you're used to it and it becomes second nature.

I think the biggest reason to choose a hub system over a SD is the braking assist.

Just my .02
                            Maybe I need to give this another look. It's been a several years, I remember there was a button you press to engage it and later I saw there was a wrist band that you would shake. It sounds like they've improved the activation method. I'd like to hear more about using it around the house.

My biggest worry is I bend over to pick something off the floor and the chair moves and I hit the floor. hitting the floor don't scare me it's just I can't get up by myself anymore and I live alone. Maybe I can find some videos on the SD.

It would be great if it worked, wouldn't add any width to the chair, E-Motions I think add @ 3 inches, that could be a real problem, I have a couple of tight spots in my house.

If you buy from a DME via Medicare they will give you one or two visits to experiment with it.
                            Didn't think Medicare based insurances would pay for SD.

Thanks for the replies

Comment

Oddity,

I reviewed the SD videos and I was impressed. I really like the starting from a stop position. Maybe you or someone else could answer a couple questions.

I don't know about anyone else's house but moving around in my house involves a lot of turning/maneuvering, very little long straight rolls, except down the hall. How well does the SD function in this type of environment? Is it responsive enough.

Do you notice the extra weight when you in tight spaces and manually turn or do a 180?

Does it only respond to tapping the the push rim or what if your doing something like using a hammer or shaking a bottle of salad dress, you get what I mean.

Sorry to ask so many questions but it hard to find a demo of everything. It would suck to spend $6,500 and find out it not helpful. I don't need it for going out, I have a van and multiple electric chairs. Got one chair that raises up, that's awesome when your shopping. But I spend most of my time nowadays at home and after 43yrs of crutches/manual chairs my shoulders are giving me a lot of grief.

Thanks for any information.

Edit:

Just to clarify. Max-Mobility videos uses the PaceTracker with the square face. Looked on E-Bay, most the newer ones had the E2 round face. Does the E2 have the same capabilities?
                              Last edited by wes4dbt; 12 Sep 2020, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wes4dbt View Post

The smart drive was never really intended for quads and it does not work great for higher quads at all no matter what anybody may tell you. I had three different versions and worked with max mobility to try to make it more quad friendly and it just was not to be the spinnergy ZX-1 is the best for quads, hands down. For me I don't need power assist all the time I use it as needed and with a touch of a button I can connect and disconnect from my ZX in like three seconds...
                                Bike-on.com rep
                                John@bike-on.com
                                c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                                sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Working...
                                X