Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you remove a stripped hex screw from brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you remove a stripped hex screw from brakes?

We were trying to tighten my brakes with the Allen wrench and one of the screws finally rounded out. Checked online and they had several suggestions but most involved buying tools that look iffy. We did try putting the rubber band in the hole and turning with the wrench but that didn't work. After 11 yrs with my solid tires, I'm finally getting new ones since I'm having to tighten the brakes so often to get them to work.

Thanks!

Do you have an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel or even a hacksaw? You can notch it to turn it into a flat head.

Comment

I believe they sell a cutter head that would allow removal. Google stripped hex screw remover/extractor.

Comment

Screw extractor, you might even have one in your toolkit. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vermont-...FTUCrQYdSSoEwg The windings are backwards, forcing the broken screw to come out.
        I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

If you can get hold of enough of the screw head, lock pliers, like these guys, might work.
          Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

That looks like a good idea. Might try that.

Comment

you can try to hammer in the screw head (if it isn't too rounded) the most similar "Torx" wrench you have. With luck, power AND WD-40, it can work.
              C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
              my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
              Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

Comment

Those look like good ideas. Think we will start with the cheap and work our way up..

Comment

Originally posted by Crappler View Post
                  If you can get hold of enough of the screw head, lock pliers, like these guys, might work.
                  Straight jaw vice grips work better than curved jaws for this application but you need a nub to grip to.

Comment

A picture of your dilemma would help to get an idea of what you have to work with.

Comment

My new to me project chair had so many stripped screws. We tried the screw extractor, super gluing a screwdriver to the screw, everything but nothing worked. Ended up taking it to the shop and taking an axel grinder to the two we couldn't get off (brakes and caster axel). Worked like a charm. https://flic.kr/p/27fv1HV

Comment

Using a flatheaded screwdriver and a hammer I would bang a notch into the screw head and use the screwdriver to twist it out. Uf you have an electric drill and have the hand eye coordination, you could try drilling the screw out. The drill bit would have to be 3/4s of the diameter of the screw tho.
                        Last edited by Mutley; 07-26-2018, 09:21 PM.
                        Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

A college professor, a man I now consider my dad, once told me...
                        "The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
                        (1930- )

Comment

Easy out.

Strange that this thread popped up! Just yesterday I stripped a hex head bolt. I used a Easy Out with a ratchet and it took about 3 minutes to remove the bolt. Bought them from amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ti
                          Attached Files
                          "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

Originally posted by titanium4motion View Post
                            Strange that this thread popped up! Just yesterday I stripped a hex head bolt. I used a Easy Out with a ratchet and it took about 3 minutes to remove the bolt. Bought them from amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CA1PSCQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Ti
                            What a good tool. It looks to save a lot of dicking about. If you need the job done now, today, then the previous suggestions are all worthy.
                            For me, if the fastening hex stripped like that I would impact the fastening with a suitable pin punch and hammer before attempting to remove it with the 'after the event' methods. In fact, when removing the fastenings, if you detect that they are held fast, give them a wack before proceeding and stripping the hex, slot, pozi etc.

Comment

Oh hell yes! Easy Outs save my bacon on the regular. Still trying to learn a lighter hand with tool use.
                              "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Working...
                              X