Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilite Shadow Wheels hand rims?

Hello All,
    I was looking at moving the hand rims to the narrower position on my Shadow wheels. Looking at them I am thinking that in order to do so I need to remove the tire to bet at the bolt inside the wheel. Can anyone confirm this. My wheels came with the Marathon tires and I understand they are a bit of a bear to get on and off.

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Jim

You're right.
    When you find a reliable way to mount and dismount these tires, please let me know!
    (I've avoided it 22 years after trying once! by using solid tires in the house chair and 1 3/8x24 bike tires outside)
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Comment

Yes. You can install rivnuts, which I've done on a couple wheel sets, to avoid this.
      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
        Yes. You can install rivnuts, which I've done on a couple wheel sets, to avoid this.
        I've put them on the inside ofoval handrails to use screw-tabs on the spokes.
        The rev-nuts I have are pretty skinny (compared to a nut), and intrude farther.
        I'd think they'd raise hell with tire service as well as being hard to protect the tube?
        NW NJ

Comment

Wetting the rim and tire; even with water, helps a lot. Last time I used Windex and worked great. The Marathons are a bear to change.

Comment

Now that I'm retired and out of the shop, maybe it's time to explore skinny high pressure things.
            I ran 1 3/8x24 bike tires with insert to minimize punctures. We were always cutting and grinding in the shop and puntures always happened when I two calls on hold and a customer at the counter
            NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
              Wetting the rim and tire; even with water, helps a lot. Last time I used Windex and worked great. The Marathons are a bear to change.
              The first 90% is easy. It's the last 10% that is the bear. Use Zip ties to hold the bead in place and massage the slack out.

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
                I've put them on the inside ofoval handrails to use screw-tabs on the spokes.
                The rev-nuts I have are pretty skinny (compared to a nut), and intrude farther.
                I'd think they'd raise hell with tire service as well as being hard to protect the tube?
                I've not had any issues. I use Schwalbe green rim liners, which are the heavy duty ones, designed for the 145psi tires. Guess they are thick enough to protect the tubes. Not sure what you mean about tire service. They don't affect that process for me at all.
                "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Silicone spray the heck out of everything before you put the tire back on, and if its been on there a while it won't be as bad as the first time. Get a friend to help, heck get an enemy. An extra pair of hands to help the tire over the rim edge.

Comment

I've not had any issues. I use Schwalbe green rim liners, which are the heavy duty ones, designed for the 145psi tires. Guess they are thick enough to protect the tubes. Not sure what you mean about tire service. They don't affect that process for me at all.
                    What I'm thinking is that if I put a heavy enough liner to protect the tube from the rivnuts, it would be well nigh impossible to mount/dismount a tire because of the now limited depth.
                    NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
                      What I'm thinking is that if I put a heavy enough liner to protect the tube from the rivnuts, it would be well nigh impossible to mount/dismount a tire because of the now limited depth.
                      Hmmmmmm. Maybe these nuts are smaller than you're used to. I dunno. I have one puncture, from a roofing nail, on a rim with these installed. I'll update with a picture when I get around to changing it so you can check it out. (The liner is only maybe a few 16ths thick. Visibly less than 1/8". I can see the little humps where the rev-nuts stick up a bit but the sharp edges are entirely mitigated.)

Comment

Hmmmmmm. Maybe these nuts are smaller than you're used to. I dunno. I have one puncture, from a roofing nail, on a rim with these installed. I'll update with a picture when I get around to changing it so you can check it out. (The liner is only maybe a few 16ths thick. Visibly less than 1/8". I can see the little humps where the rev-nuts stick up a bit but the sharp edges are entirely mitigated.)
                        Pics would be great.
                        NW NJ

Comment

Hello All,
                          Just an FYI, I switch the hand rims over to the narrow holes on my shadows yesterday. The Marathons were easy to get off but a bit of a bear to get on but not terrible. The first tire was on in just a few minutes but the second tire took a good 10 minutes to get on. I will say my thumbs are a bit sore this morning.

One thing I did do which I am mad about.... I mounted one of the tires "backwards" and I even thought about that and then got distracted....I know I will be pretty much the only one who will notice but it bothers me so at some point I will pull the tire off again and put it on the "correct" way. Practice makes perfect.

Cheers,
                          Jim

Comment

Working...
                          X