Econoline brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Econoline brakes

If I slam on the brakes on my cars going 45 MPH, my car stops in about a second. My 1992 Ford Econoline may take 3-4 seconds to stop. That extra time is several car lengths. I don't know how accurate these numbers are. But I do know for sure that it takes a lot longer to stop in the van than what I am used to.

The van stops just as fast as my car when I apply the brakes easily. I notice the increased stopping time only when I slam on the brakes. I took it to my mechanic and he said the brake booster was leaking. I replaced the brake booster and still have the same problem.

I've never owned a van before so I can't say if this is normal. Is this normal for a van? I really want the brakes to be more sensitive.
    Last edited by August West; 05-21-2018, 06:47 PM.

What speed are you attempting these brake tests at?

The weight of a van is much more than that of a car. Slowing that inertia will take extra braking force if not time. I'm guessing you've taken that into account?

I have an E-350. I don't drive, I ride. But the brakes on it are big heavy duty buggers and they'll stop the van at a surprising rate. Just as good as a mid sized car.

All I can think of for causes is the anti-lock brakes causing the extra time to stop.

Comment

Apologies, I just read the 45mph speed. I'm guessing the extra weight to the van with stock brakes. It's what is to be expected.

Comment

Originally posted by August West View Post
        If I slam on the brakes on my cars going 45 MPH, my car stops in about a second. My 1992 Ford Econoline may take 3-4 seconds to stop. That extra time is several car lengths. I don't know how accurate these numbers are. But I do know for sure that it takes a lot longer to stop in the van than what I am used to.

The van stops just as fast as my car when I apply the brakes easily. I notice the increased stopping time only when I slam on the brakes. I took it to my mechanic and he said the brake booster was leaking. I replaced the brake booster and still have the same problem.

I've never owned a van before so I can't say if this is normal. Is this normal for a van? I really want the brakes to be more sensitive.
        im still not used to how my van stops after driving mid size vehicles then a van, big shocker how the van stops.
        Bike-on.com rep
        John@bike-on.com
        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
        sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Originally posted by NorthQuad View Post
          Apologies, I just read the 45mph speed. I'm guessing the extra weight to the van with stock brakes. It's what is to be expected.
          That is what I thought at first. But then I googled it and they say the mass of the vehicle should not affect stopping distance. I don't think that applies to payloads, just the vehicle itself. The reasoning is that larger vehicles have larger tires and brakes. Makes sense. Otherwise, it would be a safety issue if only light cars could stop quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
            im still not used to how my van stops after driving mid size vehicles then a van, big shocker how the van stops.
            So it's normal? That's good and bad. Good that I don't have another problem to repair. But bad that longer stopping distance is to be expected.

Comment

I have a big Ford van 1991, it had anti lock brakes on the rear. They anti lock system went bad and that increased the stopping distance. Might check yours.

Comment

Originally posted by August West View Post
                So it's normal? That's good and bad. Good that I don't have another problem to repair. But bad that longer stopping distance is to be expected.
                i always have thought my chevy had to light of brakes. per suggestions here from others with a 1500 i will be upgrading to ebc brakes/ rotors. these full size heavy conversion vans just dont stop near like a car. so in my opinion yes what your experiencing is normal.
                Bike-on.com rep
                John@bike-on.com

Comment

i always have thought my chevy had to light of brakes. per suggestions here from others with a 1500 i will be upgrading to ebc brakes/ rotors. these full size heavy conversion vans just dont stop near like a car. so in my opinion yes what your experiencing is normal.
                  Your booster add-ons didn't work out?
                  You know we got some pretty steep mountain downgrades out here, 7% in some instances that go on for eeeeeevvvvveeeeerrrr. Maybe it's 7% up and 6% down, doesn't matter. I think those are where I managed to overheat and warp two sets of front rotors on my old 2500 2005 Chev Express. I was very careful to stay off the brakes as much as possible with the 2016 on our long trip when we got it.
                  I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

You mention the year 1992 but I don't know brake equipment on Ford Econoline as already posted first thought ABS system, difference in size van compared to your car.
                    Also, when they changed booster did they do a pressure test on your brake system and check out ABS system?
                    Older van then comes to mind they use have a rubber hose from front of brake booster to back of carb for vacuum.
                    Had old Cadillac that started having slow stopping, kinda had think way ahead on stopping. I first checked wheel brake cylinders, all good with good pads all around. Then replaced master cylinder thinking it was going bed cause brake pedal would sink a bit when stopped and must be going bad. Then I replaced booster, still no good.
                    When putting booster on hose to carb seemed to move greatly at carb. Took breather off and about 3-4" of that hose was rotten.
                    Would of save bunch time and money if checked all that first.

Comment

no, remember that guy turned out to be a hack, modded booster did nothing. i sent it back........the 2500 has bigger brakes than a 1500..
                      Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                      Your booster add-ons didn't work out?
                      You know we got some pretty steep mountain downgrades out here, 7% in some instances that go on for eeeeeevvvvveeeeerrrr. Maybe it's 7% up and 6% down, doesn't matter. I think those are where I managed to overheat and warp two sets of front rotors on my old 2500 2005 Chev Express. I was very careful to stay off the brakes as much as possible with the 2016 on our long trip when we got it.
                      Bike-on.com rep
                      John@bike-on.com

Comment

imho: You have close to one of the worst stopping stock vans iv'e ever driven.

It was only beat out by the older ones.

The Fords always stopped much better.

Fortunately you can easily upgrade them.

Jim
                        Jim, MA, MMET
                        Bridgewater, MA

Comment

Originally posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
                          imho: You have close to one of the worst stopping stock vans iv'e ever driven.

It was only beat out by the older ones.

The Fords always stopped much better.

Fortunately you can easily upgrade them.

Jim
                          i agree. based on the explorer high top conv weight, the 1500 brakes are close to maxxed......... what are your preferred brake upgrade jim? its a 2014
                          Bike-on.com rep
                          John@bike-on.com

Comment

here is a good pad comparison
                            https://www.autoanything.com/brakes/top-10-brake-pads
                            Bike-on.com rep
                            John@bike-on.com

Comment

Love my EBC pads with drilled, slotted rotors on my Chevy Express 1500, huge stopping difference over stock setup!

Comment

Working...
                              X