Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Econoline brakes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I have a 93 E150 and 2010 E250 and they both stop fine, and braking never a concern.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
      i agree. based on the explorer high top conv weight, the 1500 brakes are close to maxxed......... what are your preferred brake upgrade jim? its a 2014
      More like past max.

      Its been quite a while, but as I recall we did pads, performance rotors (drilled and slotted) and performance calipers.

      Also when you do a brake modification all it changes is the amount of effort it take to apply the brakes.

      It will only make the van stop better when you can't apply the force required to apply full brakes.

      Jim
      Jim, MA, MMET
      Bridgewater, MA

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
        More like past max.

        Its been quite a while, but as I recall we did pads, performance rotors (drilled and slotted) and performance calipers.

        Also when you do a brake modification all it changes is the amount of effort it take to apply the brakes.

        It will only make the van stop better when you can't apply the force required to apply full brakes.

        Jim
        probably why explorer only does 2500's now.
        Bike-on.com rep
        John@bike-on.com
        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
        sponsored handcycle racer

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
          More like past max.

          Its been quite a while, but as I recall we did pads, performance rotors (drilled and slotted) and performance calipers.

          Also when you do a brake modification all it changes is the amount of effort it take to apply the brakes.

          It will only make the van stop better when you can't apply the force required to apply full brakes.

          Jim
          My Econoline brakes work just as good as my car brakes when applying light force. The slow response time on the Econoline vs the car is only when I apply the brakes as hard as possible.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
            ...

            Also when you do a brake modification all it changes is the amount of effort it take to apply the brakes.

            It will only make the van stop better when you can't apply the force required to apply full brakes.

            Jim
            You said a modification changes the amount of effort.... That is a good thing isn't it?

            You also said it makes the van stop better. What is the bad part? I'm thinking the pads wear out faster.
            I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
              probably why explorer only does 2500's now.
              And is why most modifiers are required to weigh the vehicle before and after.

              The 2500-3500's have much larger brakes and stop pretty good.

              The 2500-3500hd pick up have really good brakes (we deliver full size and mini vans with one)

              And is why Ford came out with a as i recall a 9600lb gvwr e150 ver the 7600 gvwr e 150

              jim
              Jim, MA, MMET
              Bridgewater, MA

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                You said a modification changes the amount of effort.... That is a good thing isn't it?

                You also said it makes the van stop better. What is the bad part? I'm thinking the pads wear out faster.
                yah pads wear faster. to get better stopping at low speeds(city), cooler pads, the pad needs to be soft.
                Bike-on.com rep
                John@bike-on.com
                c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                sponsored handcycle racer

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by August West View Post
                  My Econoline brakes work just as good as my car brakes when applying light force. The slow response time on the Econoline vs the car is only when I apply the brakes as hard as possible.
                  As i recall 91 or 92 was the first year of abs on the e series ford van.

                  They didn't work all that well especially while going over bumps.

                  jim
                  Jim, MA, MMET
                  Bridgewater, MA

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                    You said a modification changes the amount of effort.... That is a good thing isn't it?

                    You also said it makes the van stop better. What is the bad part? I'm thinking the pads wear out faster.

                    All it does is change the input effort required to stop.

                    If it used to take 50 ft lbs of force to apply full brakes and after the modification it takes 1 ft lb (these are not accurate numbers)

                    its a good thing when someone doesn't have the strength to apply the brakes.

                    The down side is if someone else needs to be able to drive the vehicle.

                    Its hard to drive with your foot when your used to driving with regular brakes.

                    It doesn't change how the vehicle stops that stays the same.

                    You need to change rotors, pads and calipers (each item helps a little bit more)

                    with the same person driving under the same conditions pad wear should only change from carrying more weight or towing something.

                    jim
                    Jim, MA, MMET
                    Bridgewater, MA

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I have always driven an Econoline van so I am used to the brakes on larger vehicles. However, my first van I had options known as zero effort steering and zero effort brakes. They were both very sensitive and there was virtually no resistance to steer or brake the van. I'm not sure if those options are still available these days. Frankly I found the zero effort steering to be dangerous as I could switch lanes on the highway using one finger to steerwhile going 65mph. In fact I went off the road once because I was reaching up to turn on the radio that was located in a dash board above my head. My hand accidentally hit the steering knob and I made a real sharp turn almost 90? right through a guard rail and down into a ditch! Anyway, I now have regular power steering and power brakes and use a steering pin instead of a knob. I am very used to both of them now. It does take more effort to steer and apply the brakes but sitting higher in a van increases my line of sight and I can anticipate slowing down or going left or right in advance.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
                        All it does is change the input effort required to stop.

                        If it used to take 50 ft lbs of force to apply full brakes and after the modification it takes 1 ft lb (these are not accurate numbers)

                        its a good thing when someone doesn't have the strength to apply the brakes.

                        The down side is if someone else needs to be able to drive the vehicle.

                        Its hard to drive with your foot when your used to driving with regular brakes.

                        It doesn't change how the vehicle stops that stays the same.

                        You need to change rotors, pads and calipers (each item helps a little bit more)

                        with the same person driving under the same conditions pad wear should only change from carrying more weight or towing something.

                        jim
                        Thank you, that makes sense. But why wasn't John able to get his stopping issue resolved? I don't know know if he tried to increase rotor size.
                        T
                        I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by smokey View Post
                          I have always driven an Econoline van so I am used to the brakes on larger vehicles. However, my first van I had options known as zero effort steering and zero effort brakes. They were both very sensitive and there was virtually no resistance to steer or brake the van. I'm not sure if those options are still available these days. Frankly I found the zero effort steering to be dangerous as I could switch lanes on the highway using one finger to steerwhile going 65mph. In fact I went off the road once because I was reaching up to turn on the radio that was located in a dash board above my head. My hand accidentally hit the steering knob and I made a real sharp turn almost 90? right through a guard rail and down into a ditch! Anyway, I now have regular power steering and power brakes and use a steering pin instead of a knob. I am very used to both of them now. It does take more effort to steer and apply the brakes but sitting higher in a van increases my line of sight and I can anticipate slowing down or going left or right in advance.

                          Its still done on vehicles.

                          Zero effort steering is one of the hardest things to master. You lose al return to center so in addition to having a really light effort you need to steer it back.

                          If you effort is just a little to heavy it can be made lighter with reduced effort steering and (at least with us) we can make it a lighter or heaver effort reduced effort.

                          By gauging what someone needs we can just reduce the effort a little or a little more.

                          Reduced effort steering will still have return to center when driving.

                          jim
                          Jim, MA, MMET
                          Bridgewater, MA

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                            Thank you, that makes sense. But why wasn't John able to get his stopping issue resolved? I don't know know if he tried to increase rotor size.
                            T
                            No problem.

                            I'm not sure what John did, didn't he try a different set of hand controls?

                            Jim
                            Jim, MA, MMET
                            Bridgewater, MA

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                              Thank you, that makes sense. But why wasn't John able to get his stopping issue resolved? I don't know know if he tried to increase rotor size.
                              T
                              it just stops like shit with factory brakes, as jim mentioned the brakes are maxxed and then sum with the explorer high top conv. ive just dealt with it and pay close attention down the road. i just got an est for ebc ultramax rotors and yellow stuff pads installed all 4 wheels. not bad really. will get it done in a few weeks. i have spoke to several customers and gino here with the same van as mine that switched to ebc setup, supposed to make big difference
                              Bike-on.com rep
                              John@bike-on.com
                              c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                              sponsored handcycle racer

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                The brakes should feel quite firm. I had an older Ford van and someone put in the wrong pads. I never knew and always just assumed the braking sucked because of the size of the van. Then when the issue was discovered and the correct pads were put in, the van responded to braking quite well. But, my newer (1995) van braked even better. It was noticeable.
                                C-6/7 incomplete

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X