No announcement yet.

Van carpeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My van has carpeting but I took one of those clear vinyl carpet protectors (made to protect carpet from rolling office chairs) and cut it to fit in the drivers area. That helped protect the carpet. If I had to do again, I would go with rubberized flooring.

Comment

Originally posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
      if the guy working on your van doesn't know how to fix this, you have the wrong guy doing the work.

jim
      I mentioned it to my mechanic and he said it was normal. Hence, I never brought it up with upholstery guy. I guess what the mechanic meant by normal was that there wasn't anything wrong mechanically. It's good to know there's an easy fix. I'll bring it up today with upholstery guy. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by August West View Post
        I mentioned it to my mechanic and he said it was normal. Hence, I never brought it up with upholstery guy. I guess what the mechanic meant by normal was that there wasn't anything wrong mechanically. It's good to know there's an easy fix. I'll bring it up today with upholstery guy. Thanks.
        it is normal for a 26 year old van but can also be fixed/ improved upon.

Jim
        Jim, MA, MMET
        Bridgewater, MA

Comment

Originally posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
          does the van have a lowered floor.

it would depend on what you put on the floor.

it most if not all cases rubber is much better.

jim
          No it doesn't have a lowered floor. It has a raised roof. I am going with 5mm rubber with insulation underneath it plus Dynamat insulation around the wheel wells, behind the speakers, around the dog house, and other critical ares for sound. The floor insulation is foam between two layers of metal foil.

I don't know how much the Dynamat will reduce noise in such an old van. But it's worth a shot.

Comment

I hate carpet, or anything else not easily cleaned. I always put down vinyl flooring.
            Attached Files
            "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEye View Post
              I hate carpet, or anything else not easily cleaned.
              Me too. Carpet is disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by August West View Post
                I am uphostering my van and am wondering what type of carpet to use. I want to add padding for heat and noise. But the last think I want is to sink in and not be able to maneuver. I was considering rubber flooring. But that may be too hot and sound like an echo chamber. Any experience with this?

I would not do carpet!! It gets dirty, torn up and worn very easy plus not worth the cost!

Check out newer vans to get ideas, we just bought a 2012 Dodge Caravan and its a VMI conversion and VMI is here in Az where I am and they use a rubber coating now that is sprayed in and then metal brackets are laid over to secure it in place.

I don't think you need any specific product as we all roll and turn different but might look at truck spay in bed companies for ideas and quotes also.

Tie downs are already in place so they are just secured back to the floor when your done!

Mine has a soft texture to it...its dusty but the local car wash guys clean it up nice, and we are looking at testing a Braava 240 self mopper...

Last edited by RollinPositive; 05-25-2018, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the pics. That looks nice. I was considering a spray product. But then I am married to it forever. I'm going with 5mm rubber that can be secured with double-sided tape. I don't foresee the need to remove it. But the option is there.

Comment

Working...
                  X