Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by funklab View Post

Do you really need NEED 16" of width?

I'm 6' tall too, though I've always been fairly slim. My first chair was 16" wide because they wanted to give me room to "spread" as they put it. Well once the muscles atrophied away off my thighs, I fit into a 13" chair the next time around and it fits like a glove. I've got just enough room to slide the fingers of one hand between my hip and the side guard, but definitely cannot stick a hand on each side at the same time. makes for a very slightly lighter chair, but also a better fitting more responsive chair
    I have a 14" wide basketball chair and a 14" wide race chair and I ordered it this way so it's super tight and more responsive. In regards to a day chair I think I can fit into a 15" comfortably but all of my cushions are 16"x18". I'm sure I can order all 15" width cushions again but my trochanter's both have some calcification (heterotypic ossification) and I'm worried it'll continue to get worse in the future. There is no HO in the joint itself, just on the outer portion of my trochanters which is weird. I work in the same acute rehab I did my SCI rehab and I am consulting with my PT about this wheelchair too. I'll have him measure me up really closely to see if it's a good idea to go with a 15" wide as I do realize a nice snug fit will benefit me in my seating posture too.

So in regards to TR vs ZR arguments, if all measurements are the same, the design of the TR will have less frame flexibility due to the dual tube design and should weight about the same to each other. My DME is bringing a Motion Composites Apex wheelchair for me to test out but again I plan on getting the TI with Superlite package because of frame durability (less scratches and wear and tear due to transferring and disassembling the wheelchair in and out of the car).
    http://www.adaptivesportsforums.com/

I love sports! Wheelchair Basketball, Sled Hockey, Mono-Skiing, and Handcycling.

Comment

Originally posted by outkastsl View Post
      I have a 14" wide basketball chair and a 14" wide race chair and I ordered it this way so it's super tight and more responsive. In regards to a day chair I think I can fit into a 15" comfortably but all of my cushions are 16"x18". I'm sure I can order all 15" width cushions again but my trochanter's both have some calcification (heterotypic ossification) and I'm worried it'll continue to get worse in the future. There is no HO in the joint itself, just on the outer portion of my trochanters which is weird. I work in the same acute rehab I did my SCI rehab and I am consulting with my PT about this wheelchair too. I'll have him measure me up really closely to see if it's a good idea to go with a 15" wide as I do realize a nice snug fit will benefit me in my seating posture too.

So in regards to TR vs ZR arguments, if all measurements are the same, the design of the TR will have less frame flexibility due to the dual tube design and should weight about the same to each other. My DME is bringing a Motion Composites Apex wheelchair for me to test out but again I plan on getting the TI with Superlite package because of frame durability (less scratches and wear and tear due to transferring and disassembling the wheelchair in and out of the car).
      I feel your pain, man I got HO my hip joint as well, but it's anterior (like on the "front" part) of the hip, so it just makes my right hip a little less flexible than the left and a little higher when in the sitting position. I don't think it's super unusual to have the ossification outside of the hip joint itself, mine is in the muscle and tissue surrounding the joint and I think that's pretty normal.

Comment

Originally posted by funklab View Post
        I feel your pain, man I got HO my hip joint as well, but it's anterior (like on the "front" part) of the hip, so it just makes my right hip a little less flexible than the left and a little higher when in the sitting position. I don't think it's super unusual to have the ossification outside of the hip joint itself, mine is in the muscle and tissue surrounding the joint and I think that's pretty normal.
        I work with my PT that I did my acute rehab with and he said it?s pretty normal since I?m about 16 years post injury.

I love sports! Wheelchair Basketball, Sled Hockey, Mono-Skiing, and Handcycling.

Comment

The MC Apex is going to be my next chair. It's light, looks good and reasonably priced. To me that Carbon Black II chair is fugly. If you have your heart set on Tilite, they are fine too. (I'm in a ZRA v2, spec'd to be as light as possible.) I just want something different for my next chair.

My indoor chair is a Topend Terminator Titanium with adjustable rear camber. It's over 14 years old and I've never had any issues with it. (FYI, it's lighter than my Tilite.) I'm able to set my camber at 9 degrees. With a freewheel, that would be a very stable chair to take outdoors to play with your children.

BTW, has anyone had a bad experience with the Apex?
          Last edited by fasdude; 05-24-2018, 10:11 AM.

Comment

I was able to check out the MC Apex wheelchair, it looked nice but since it's still pretty new I was weary of ordering it for durability reasons. I had my wheelchair fitting last week and I am ordering a TiLite ZR, lava black, superlite package, 15"x18" frame, 19"FSH, 16.5 RSH, 90degree front angle 25" Carbon Blade wheels with titanium axles and pushrims, 5"x1.5" casters, fixed back rest at 90deg, 13" tall back rest height, ADI carbon fiber seat pan, Roho Agility Carbon 10" low contour backrest, 3.5" COG, and requesting a new smartdrive MX2+. Waiting for the CAD to approve then will have it submitted through my insurance which has a quick turnaround time for approval.

Comment

Regardless of what the CAD shows, double check all the dimensions when you get the chair. I had to send the frame back on my last TR3.

Comment

Thanks Brad, that's a good reminder.

Comment

If you are changing the dump on the chair you better be cognizant of any new pressure points on your butt. Also, a 90? front angle will work to shorten your footprint but be sure you don't develop any circulation problems in your feet or lower extremities.

Comment

Originally posted by smokey View Post
                    If you are changing the dump on the chair you better be cognizant of any new pressure points on your butt. Also, a 90? front angle will work to shorten your footprint but be sure you don't develop any circulation problems in your feet or lower extremities.
                    Dump is the same. I am doing the 90 deg front angle to reduce the footprint and wheelbase a bit. My legs are already tucked under me a bit where my toes are as far forward as my knees.

Comment

Tilite 90 is pretty extreme compared to other mfr. Tilite 85 is similiar to other 90 deg frt ends.
                      Bike-on.com rep
                      John@bike-on.com
                      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                      sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Here’s my cad. I’m going to make a few adjustments. My dme didn’t submit it for about a month. Also it’s supposed the be a TR and not a ZR. New changes to be considered: 90deg front angle, 4.5”x1.5” caster, decrease foot rest height to 16”, widen the caster position to be aligned with the rear wheels, angle the round ridgidizer bar 45* on the backrest post and I think that’s it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                        X