under-vehicle-wheelchair-lifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• under-vehicle-wheelchair-lifts

How bad or good are under vehicle lifts. Jim of AI weighed in about 9 months ago completely condemning them due to road damage and grit buildup etc. But does anyone have one? I have seen a few, very few advertised. In Brauns web ad they indicated the underbodies might be more expensive than a more conventional lift. https://www.braunability.com/under-v...eelchair-lift/
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

So far, I've had 5 years of nearly trouble free service on my Braun UVL in Wisconsin. I park my van in a well insulated garage. I also park it in my heated shop in snowy weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Prerun View Post
      So far, I've had 5 years of nearly trouble free service on my Braun UVL in Wisconsin. I park my van in a well insulated garage. I also park it in my heated shop in snowy weather.
      This sounds great. Do you drive in the snow, icy conditions with salt on the road? I would think bringing that crap into a heated environment would speed up rusting, apparently not.
      I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
        This sounds great. Do you drive in the snow, icy conditions with salt on the road? I would think bringing that crap into a heated environment would speed up rusting, apparently not.
        Its a high maintenance lift. Probably the most high maintenance lift (and expensive) you can buy.

Its not rocket science but neither is preventive maintenance, yet most people don't take care of there stuff.

Then theres the ground clearance issues.

Ive seen others install them and have under 4" of ground clearance.

In most cases you need to build a custom exhaust system and if you want a little more clearance install a new driveshaft system.

We still have a few in service and even just took a older full size Chevy in trade with one in it thats still working really good.

Jim
        Jim, MA, MMET
        Bridgewater, MA

Comment

Originally posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
          Its a high maintenance lift. Probably the most high maintenance lift (and expensive) you can buy.

Its not rocket science but neither is preventive maintenance, yet most people don't take care of there stuff.

Then theres the ground clearance issues.

Ive seen others install them and have under 4" of ground clearance.

In most cases you need to build a custom exhaust system and if you want a little more clearance install a new driveshaft system.

We still have a few in service and even just took a older full size Chevy in trade with one in it thats still working really good.

Jim
          Custom exhaust-check, ground clearance-check. This was a fun project my brother built.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
            Custom exhaust-check, ground clearance-check. This was a fun project my brother built.

that thing is awesome looking man
            to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Comment

Wow, ya very low ground clearance
              "Life is about how you
              respond to not only the
              challenges you're dealt but
              the challenges you seek...If
              you have no goals, no
              mountains to climb, your
              soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

After having both, I would go with the UVL. It is more expensive and higher maintenance, but worth it. I drive my van in the winter here in Colorado and have had no issues with ice or snow buidup. The box the UVL is in is pretty well sealed when closed.
                Push me to the limit,
                maybe I may bend,
                but I will not be broken.
                -Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Here's a picture of my van with the UVL. It does hang down, but the van is a 4x4 so it sits higher than stock

Push me to the limit,
                  maybe I may bend,
                  but I will not be broken.
                  -Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Originally posted by wheelin 48 View Post
                    that thing is awesome looking man

Thanks! I had a little more ground clearance than my van.

Comment

Originally posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
                      ....In most cases you need to build a custom exhaust system and if you want a little more clearance install a new driveshaft system.
                      ...Jim
                      I forgot about the exhaust. When I used to crawl under there without jacking the rig up, it seemed like there was a ton of ground clearance. So I was erroneously thinking the lift could just be slammed up against the frame without moving anything. Oh well I did look at a van with a folding lift and it wasn't too intrusive floor space wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado Boy View Post
                        After having both, I would go with the UVL. It is more expensive and higher maintenance, but worth it. I drive my van in the winter here in Colorado and have had no issues with ice or snow buidup. The box the UVL is in is pretty well sealed when closed.
                        I missed your post the first time through. What do you drive and what underbody stuff had to be moved if any? I'm not worried about ice and snow in Seattle anymore with global warming, especially being retired. I can just stay put the day or two the roads are salty.

Comment

Hack, your brother treats you right. Probably everyone here starting with me wishes they had one who would/could fix them up with such a sweet ride.

Comment

He sure does. He used to work for a company that built wheelchair accessible vans. When I approached him about this build he said lets do it.

Comment

Working...
                            X