Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quad driving issues

Hi,

I'm a c4/c5 quadriplegic and I have just completed my driving evaluation using 4-way joystick hand controls. The most part went well but was having difficulty controlling the vehicle on bumpy and rough roads especially when it hits a pothole during a turn etc.. I have been recommended for driving but I'm concerned about loss-of-control on rough surfaces and now I need to decide about proceeding my drive training.

I'm interested in the learning experience of high-level injury quads who are drive using joysticks or similar setup. How do you control/manage vehicle on uneven surfaces? Did you experience similar issues in the beginning and are you able to improve over time?

Please help with your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
    Kan

I don't drive, but one of my concerns is similar to yours...spasms while driving as a result of hitting bumps. Also, my elbow must be supported by the armrest...if it were to slip off, I'd likely lose control.

Comment

go on. it gets better...
      just drive slower if its bumpy...
      c4 comp. here, driving up to 300km

Comment

Originally posted by opa07 View Post
        go on. it gets better...
        What setup do you use?

Comment

paravan
          t5 with lift, drive from wheelchair, mini steering wheel right, throttle/brake left
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnq9KLThclE
          pretty much like here

Comment

Originally posted by opa07 View Post
            go on. it gets better...
            I'm very interested in your set-up.

I tried a couple of four-way joystick striving, EMC J-series and Joysteer. Both were very sensitive requiring high precision control. Of both, I'm most impressed with Joysteer.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by landrover View Post
              I don't drive, but one of my concerns is similar to yours...spasms while driving as a result of hitting bumps. Also, my elbow must be supported by the armrest...if it were to slip off, I'd likely lose control.
              Thanks. My first instruction was to always keep my hands rested on the arm-rest and it really helps. Spasm is another major concern to me as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kansrk View Post
                Hi,

I'm a c4/c5 quadriplegic and I have just completed my driving evaluation using 4-way joystick hand controls. The most part went well but was having difficulty controlling the vehicle on bumpy and rough roads especially when it hits a pothole during a turn etc.. I have been recommended for driving but I'm concerned about loss-of-control on rough surfaces and now I need to decide about proceeding my drive training.

I'm interested in the learning experience of high-level injury quads who are drive using joysticks or similar setup. How do you control/manage vehicle on uneven surfaces? Did you experience similar issues in the beginning and are you able to improve over time?

Please help with your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
                Kan
                I'm a C4 incomplete quad and use the Scott System. I have a chest strap to keep me from falling forward and I hook my left arm around a post on my chair for stability. I feel that my driving is improving everyday.
                Injured May 19, 2006, C4 incomplete

Comment

I'm very interested in your set-up.

I tried a couple of four-way joystick striving, EMC J-series and Joysteer. Both were very sensitive requiring high precision control. Of both, I'm most impressed with Joysteer.

Thanks.
                  i use the paravan space drive mit mini steering wheel and throttle/brake shifter.
                  pretty much the setup like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2XO60jQJAs

Comment

I trained on EMC for 15 hours, and Scott systems for two hours. I found Scott systems to be far superior.

Comment

Thanks. My first instruction was to always keep my hands rested on the arm-rest and it really helps. Spasm is another major concern to me as well.
                      I would wholeheartedly recommend against getting the joystick controller if you get any kind of spasm. I am a C-5 quadriplegic and I get spasms and I would be dead right now if I used a joystick controller for steering. You think it's going to be as easy as driving a power chair but it is not. It is completely unforgiving. I have the Paravan system with the mini steering wheel and the pull-push controller to break and accelerate. I had the steering wheel set up so that 9 o'clock keeps my steering wheels straight. Whenever I get a spasm driving I just pull it towards my body/9 o'clock and nothing happens. Car keeps going straight.

Comment

At your level of injury one of the most important things will be trunk control. If you won't be driving alone I would highly recommend driving with a chest strap which someone can affix for you. If you will be driving alone then lateral supports on the chair will be helpful, which at your level of injury you will probably have anyway. I have the Invacare matrix elite deep back on my F3 Permobil and the deep scoop does help counter the instability encountered on turns.

And yes, when encountering spasm triggering conditions such as rough road, do slow down.

Comment

Originally posted by salamero View Post
                          I would wholeheartedly recommend against getting the joystick controller if you get any kind of spasm. I am a C-5 quadriplegic and I get spasms and I would be dead right now if I used a joystick controller for steering. You think it's going to be as easy as driving a power chair but it is not. It is completely unforgiving. I have the Paravan system with the mini steering wheel and the pull-push controller to break and accelerate. I had the steering wheel set up so that 9 o'clock keeps my steering wheels straight. Whenever I get a spasm driving I just pull it towards my body/9 o'clock and nothing happens. Car keeps going straight.
                          Anyone here stating otherwise? Anyone driving the four way joystick?

Comment

Chair in drunken sailor mode?

Is there a delay on the controls that you do not need?

If so then that is a major defect. Drunken sailor mode should be shipped off by default unless OT recommends that it be set.

See https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/pow...rogramming.htm

I Australia mods are limited to hand controls and a spinner if required. I palm the wheel which has silly radio buttons on it.

Those doing other mods need to take responsibility for the safety of the vehicle. Can get taxi vouchers and some public transport is accessible.
                            Last edited by zagam; 20 Jun 2018, 10:17 PM. Reason: Driving cars?
                            http://zagam.net/

Comment

Working...
                            X