quick release axle stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ancientgimp View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I did turn chair over so that stuck wheel is on garage floor. Removed other wheel and squeezed the remaining 1/3 of a can of penetrating oil down the camber tube hoping that it will coat the axle tip and free the bearings. Also followed this up with liberal spraying of WD-40 down the camber tube. I now have a small pool of oil on the garage floor seeming to indicate the oil must have reached the bearings on the axle.

After reading Pat's suggestion I noted that the threaded axle housing is flat on 2 sides so I should be able to back out this threaded housing if I can reach it with the wheel still on. I assume then I will be able to examine the stuck bearings and work on them. I will wait to do this until I see if the penetrating oil and WD-40 have worked to free the bearings.
    WD40 isn't really that great of a penetrating fluid. About the best there is: a 50/50 mix of automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

Comment

Had this happen to my wife's AeroZ in less than 6 months. I succeeded by removing the opposing wheel & pounding a steel rod while holding the release on the bad pin. Once it finally came out it freed up and acted like nothing had ever happened.

Comment

Thanks, other Bruce

Comment

Working...
        X