cushions while drivig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cushions while drivig

I've read of people using chair cushions for driving how do you keep them from sliding around when you transfer? Do you sit to high ?

I'm 6 feet tall and without a cushion I keep my car seat at the lowest setting it has. If I use a full size cushion, like the one from my chair, my head bumps up against the roof of my Accord coupe. I very rarely use a cushion while driving (only when I'm going very long distances, like >3 or 4 hours). I would never use my cushion for the short drives (6 minutes to work, 5 minutes to the grocery store, 20 minutes to the shops). When I do use a cushion I use a heavily deflated REI sit pad, not the most scientific or proven pressure ulcer prevention, but I figure if I keep it deflated to the point that my ischiums barely touch the car seat below I'm at least spreading out the pressure on my backside.

I also pressure relieve every 15 minutes if I can while I'm driving on the interstate... not the safest thing I do in a car, but far from the most dangerous. If there's not too much traffic around me, I set my cruise control, put my left arm on the armrest built into the door, with my left elbow there I can still keep the fingers of my left hand on the wheel. Then I put my right arm up against the back of my right hip and use that arm to push myself up out of the seat, holding it for as long as I can or until there is more traffic around me or a curve coming up. I can also sort of pressure relieve by just leaning up against the console on my right and keep my left hand on the wheel, but this is more awkward and I cant hold it as long.

Comment

After fighting with this problem for awhile I bit the bullet and dismantled the seat, cut some of the foam off and put a Varilite Meridian Wave inside the OEM seat cover. I know, it is going to be a pain for somebody to restore back when it is time to trade but it solves the cushion moving and I had my butt pressure mapped in the car. It is almost as good as my chair. Maybe overkill but I trust it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Beagle View Post
        After fighting with this problem for awhile I bit the bullet and dismantled the seat, cut some of the foam off and put a Varilite Meridian Wave inside the OEM seat cover. I know, it is going to be a pain for somebody to restore back when it is time to trade but it solves the cushion moving and I had my butt pressure mapped in the car. It is almost as good as my chair. Maybe overkill but I trust it.

Thanks for the information thats kind of what i thought but didn't want to here I guess if I go through with this I should upgrade to leather covers so it will be easer than cloth to transfer

Comment

I use a one inch / low profile ROHO in the car. I don't have a cover on it and moves around easy to position on leather seat. I never thought of getting mapped for the car. Makes perfect sense. Curious, are you over close to Woodrow Wilson? WWRC, good, smart and competent folks there. I wish I was closer, the miles /round trip gets tougher as the years pile up.
          Last edited by ChesBay; 20 Feb 2018, 2:51 AM. Reason: eta: content

Comment

Here's someone who takes their health seriously. Props for going through all that trouble to make sure you don't get a pressure sore... youre making me think I should do something like this.

Comment

Working...
            X