DIY electric addon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY electric addon

hey everyone, i recently had a demo of the triride and i thought it was pretty cool as it was quiet compact and fast, but the price of these things are just stupid, i was thinking i could build my own for a fraction of the price with a little help ofc but i would need directions to the parts needed for such a thing, has anyone on here made on of these or does anyone know where to start? and help would be great thank you

How much does the triride cost?

Comment

?3000 ish, higher models ?4000 ish

Comment

There was a discussion on facebook sci owners group recently on cheap alternatives AIR some from China for around GBP700. https://www.facebook.com/groups/sciownersclub/ you might need to search for Batec. That group is predominantly UK biased.

Comment

https://batec-mobility.com/en

Not currently available in the USA. One distributor in the UK: http://www.cyclonemobility.com/product/brand/batec/

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
            https://batec-mobility.com/en

Not currently available in the USA. One distributor in the UK: http://www.cyclonemobility.com/product/brand/batec/

(KLD)
            These folks appear to be selling Batec.
            Prices are rather insane of course.

https://livingspinal.com/handcycle/batec-mobility/
            T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by rAdGie View Post
              hey everyone, i recently had a demo of the triride and i thought it was pretty cool as it was quiet compact and fast, but the price of these things are just stupid, i was thinking i could build my own for a fraction of the price with a little help ofc but i would need directions to the parts needed for such a thing, has anyone on here made on of these or does anyone know where to start? and help would be great thank you
              This thread might be of use: https://www.carecure.net/forum/showt...omes-a-scooter

I?ve upgraded my son?s old Firefly (which had worn out) to become a much larger Beast (that?s its name!). The clever part on all these devices is the connection to the chair, which won?t be cheap to design/make for a one-off construction. I used the Firefly connection (which Rio-mobility no longer make, as they have changed their connection system). I purchased new front forks and fat-bike wheel/tyre, electric hub motor kit, Lithium battery, and handlebars. Putting it all together was fairly easy, but I have played around with e-bike stuff before.

Personally, I don?t think you can make a one-off attachment for less cost than Rio-Mobility?s Firefly. And if you want to get an even cheaper version, the thread I?ve linked shows you a Chinese version that might be worth risking your money on....
              Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Comment

thanks for the replies, the batec is far too expensive but does look good, im trying to get away with not buying an already made one and build my own, so its just parts i need, a decent motor small wheel say 10" maybe a nice lipo battery and speed controller, yes the attachment system will be tricky but if it works in the most basic way then it works

Comment

thanks for the replies, the batec is far too expensive but does look good, im trying to get away with not buying an already made one and build my own, so its just parts i need, a decent motor small wheel say 10" maybe a nice lipo battery and speed controller, yes the attachment system will be tricky but if it works in the most basic way then it works
                  Sorry I should have been clearer, to find the discussion on powered add on s you need to search that facebook group for Batec, or something similar. You won't be able to make an add on as cheap as you can buy the Chinese ready made ones, importing the ready made one as a disability aid is duty/vat exempt, import the parts and they aren't solely for disability so you pay duty and VAT. Machining/welding time in the UK isn't cheap compared to China unless you can do it yourself. I've just converted my off road wheelchair to LFP batteries, replaced front suspension struts and reworked control system, it wasn't cheap even with the help of a Remap engineer where I don't pay for his time. Your call but getting a device you know will work rather than one which could involve a lot of trial and error would seem to be an easier option.

Comment

Apologies to find the discussion search the group for China this was the link to the addon debated, about GBP 580 Free Shipping 36V 250W Electric Handcycle Folding Wheelchair Attachment Handbike DIY Conversion Kits 36V 9AH Li ion Battery -in Electric Bicycle Motor from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PO3SdscD3w

Comment

My Power Pod behind my FRH handcyle is kind of like you're describing. Mark bought his power stuff from https://www.ebikekit.com. Way overbuilt for what you're looking for but they do have smaller motors.

Mines a 500w 24" wheel with a 48x20ah lithium battery. The 48vlt boosts the wheel to a 1000wt. It's like a rocket ship.

You don't want to skimp on the attachment part by any means. In the early '80's a buddy tried to make an attachable, they weren't even invented yet. The attachment wasn't right; it detached with him ending up with a broken leg and opposite hip. Add electric to that and it can really compound the problem at an instant.

You may want to search out a used one or one not working and rebuild it. I have little doubt there are a lot sitting in someones garage not being used and just want to get rid of it.

Boy you really beefed up the Firefly Gordy. Nothing like continuous power.

Comment

Haha, I’d forgotten about that video being public...that’s my son!

Given the advances in battery technology since I made that little attachment, you’ve made a valid point...a lithium battery scooter could well be a cheap and easy item to attach to a chair. (The scooter in that video, a Razor E300, has 2 sealed lead acid batteries, which would only last 30-40 minutes).
                          Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                            Boy you really beefed up the Firefly Gordy. Nothing like continuous power.
                            Yep...the Firefly was a game-changer for my son. “The Beast” is another step up...I don’t know what we/he would do without it....

Mark’s PowerPod was a great invention too. I actually made one up for my son’s handcycle (with Mark’s knowledge...he was cool with it, very nice guy), and it worked well once I’d sorted out the attachment which was, as per usual, the complex bit! Unfortunately the handcycle hasn’t been used since the Firefly was delivered....

Comment

Mark is a really good man. I was sorry to hear he stopped making them. Loved the smile on your sons' face in the video.

Comment

Working...
                              X