c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

bump
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Comment

Contact Russ Wooton (aka Scorpion that used to hang here) I know he used to drive from manual: http://ruswooton.com/

Comment

thx, will do.
        Bike-on.com rep
        John@bike-on.com

Comment

OTHERS?? brian and smokey how are your rigs setup. anyone drive from zx-1??
          Bike-on.com rep
          John@bike-on.com

Comment

what are you trying to figure out and or looking to find out more about?

jim
            Jim, MA, MMET
            Bridgewater, MA

Comment

jim,
              glad to see you are still around here.
              1. I'm looking at how pol balance etc when driving from manual chair. setups.
              2. looking to see if I can do it from my chevy down the road or if I need to wait and buy new vehicle in few years.
              3. def staying full size likely merceds next
              Originally posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
              what are you trying to figure out and or looking to find out more about?

jim
              Bike-on.com rep
              John@bike-on.com

Comment

no longer drive but just a ez lock and hand controls

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
                  jim,
                  2. looking to see if I can do it from my chevy down the road or if I need to wait and buy new vehicle in few years.
                  Does your van have a lowered floor? If it does than you can modify to drive from the chair, but if it's the standard configuration not going to work. And if you go with an EZ lockdown type device you'll have to add a heavy steel bracket to your chair for the hold down.

Comment

Ahh, no lowered floor.
                    Originally posted by rustyjames View Post
                    does your van have a lowered floor? If it does than you can modify to drive from the chair, but if it's the standard configuration not going to work. And if you go with an ez lockdown type device you'll have to add a heavy steel bracket to your chair for the hold down.
                    Bike-on.com rep
                    John@bike-on.com

Comment

Way back when, when I got my 1st minivan, I was gonna drive from chair. Went in for the fitting and it turned out my footrest is set too low to clear the Ezlock box on the floor. Could pop over it to get in, but getting out wouldn't work, can't pop when you're locked into the bracket and no room to do it anyway. Then I held the 10lb bracket they attach to chair for it and that settled it, no way. Been xferring to driver seat since. And was always a little worried about no head restraint in your chair.

Not sure what I'll do down the road if/when xferring becomes too much; power chair by then?
                      "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

Ahh, no lowered floor.
                        Not going to work because you'll be sitting too high in the chair, so visibility will be a problem.

Comment

You'll def need need lowered floor. I'm C5-6 and don't transfer nearly as easily as you do, and I have always transferred into the seat. First 20 years of driving I used a manual and transferred, last 25 using a power and transfer. I don't feel anywhere close to as secure or stable in my chair behind the wheel. I've tried it twice years ago in other vehicles.
                          "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

jim,

Call me next week.

tue or wed in the afternoon is usually a good time.

It will be easier to talk about it than typing back and forth.

jim
                            Jim, MA, MMET
                            Bridgewater, MA

Comment

Originally posted by Rustyjames View Post
                              Does your van have a lowered floor? If it does than you can modify to drive from the chair, but if it's the standard configuration not going to work. And if you go with an EZ lockdown type device you'll have to add a heavy steel bracket to your chair for the hold down.

Not true.

We've built lots of vans for people who drive from manual and power wheelchairs in non lowered floor vans.

It depends on the van and your seated height in the wheelchair.

jim
                              Jim, MA, MMET
                              Bridgewater, MA

Comment

Working...
                              X