Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A manual wheelchair... becomes a scooter

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A manual wheelchair... becomes a scooter

    Has anyone seen one of these before? New to me...

    https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/commen...r_wheelchairs/

  • #2
    Pretty interesting, especially the price!
    I'd like to see details of the coupling system.
    Notice that the lower part, an inverted T, must go between your feet. On my Ti chairs, I'd have to cut and weld that part to come down at a more acute angle, in front of footplate, then extend horizontally. I expect that the lateral tube must socket in a pair of pillows when it picks up the front of the chair; otherwise there's no lateral connection to the power wheel and it would not stay in place, so I'd need to fix something under the foot plate.
    Somebody ought to invest ~$500 in one of these and get back to us
    and if the coast is clear, I'd get one!

    EDIT: I followed this link below the video:https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta....71a8bdeZHFeIT

    The attachment and the device on this site don't match the attachment or device in the video, but they are very similar.
    If I could get the device on the site with the coupler in the video for $500 and it was reliable and powerful enough for hills, I'd be a customer.
    I'd like to know the weight but couldn't find it.
    Last edited by pfcs49; 01-08-2018, 01:39 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

    Comment


    • #3
      The American version is called Dragonfly by Rio Mobility. Same concept with different design. This one seems almost effortless to attach to the wheelchair. The main problem I have with the DragonFly is that is is cumbersome to attach... almost need 2 people.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by August West View Post
        The American version is called Dragonfly by Rio Mobility. Same concept with different design. This one seems almost effortless to attach to the wheelchair. The main problem I have with the DragonFly is that is is cumbersome to attach... almost need 2 people.
        Well,......the dragonfly BATTERY is $399. This whole deal is <1/4 the cost of a Dragonfly ($2,395)..BUT, the easy to attach one isn't exactly what the alibaba one is.
        I'd like to find information on the easy to attach one and can I get the coupler to modify the other?
        69yo male T12 complete since 1995
        NW NJ

        Comment


        • #5
          Saw that on REDDIT as well. Much cheaper on alibaba! I'd like to get one but saving for a treadmill. (Much needed lol).
          Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

          T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
            ...
            Notice that the lower part, an inverted T, must go between your feet. On my Ti chairs, I'd have to cut and weld ....

            If I could get the device on the site with the coupler in the video for $500 and it was reliable and powerful enough for hills,...
            That quick attach is mentioned in comments as needing upper body strength. Other than that and your comment it makes this gadget look good.
            They are saying you get a 36 volt 8.8 ah lithium battery in the package. I am skeptical.
            I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by August West View Post
              The American version is called Dragonfly by Rio Mobility. Same concept with different design. This one seems almost effortless to attach to the wheelchair. The main problem I have with the DragonFly is that is is cumbersome to attach... almost need 2 people.
              I think you mean Firefly...the Dragonfly is a handcycle attachment, the Firefly is entirely electric. Agree with what you say about the cumbersome attachment method (which is the same for both), although RioMobility changed the attachment method about a year ago. The new method looks much better, although I haven?t seen it in real life.

              Interesting to see that the detailed parts diagram on alibaba is a Firefly, even though the remainder of the product diagrams are of something slightly different...who knows what you would get from them?!?

              I wouldn?t trust any place that sells a cheap version. A reasonably sized Lithium battery will set you back a minimum of $400. Add in the cost of a hub motor and controller, and then the clever bit (the attachment) and you are looking at about $1000, and that?s if you made it yourself at zero labour cost. I?ve always thought that the Firefly was good value for the money....

              And whilst the reddit attachment method looks wonderfully simple, I will bet it only works on a few chair designs (which is a problem with all of the Wheelchair attachments...one size doesn?t fit all unfortunately!).
              Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Gordy1 View Post
                ...
                Interesting to see that the detailed parts diagram on alibaba is a Firefly, even though the remainder of the product diagrams are of something slightly different...who knows what you would get from them?!?
                ...
                Compare the two diagrams. Alibaba has the controller exposed out front like front fender above the wheel. Firefly's is hidden. Alibaba steering knuckle is small. Firefly has two separated for stability. I am sure there are more differences we can't see. The first I noticed was the robust disk brake on the Firefly, but Alibaba says they have one. I don't know, but I doubt you want to brake too hard anyway.
                I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
                  Pretty interesting, especially the price!
                  I'd like to see details of the coupling system.
                  Notice that the lower part, an inverted T, must go between your feet. On my Ti chairs, I'd have to cut and weld that part to come down at a more acute angle, in front of footplate, then extend horizontally. I expect that the lateral tube must socket in a pair of pillows when it picks up the front of the chair; otherwise there's no lateral connection to the power wheel and it would not stay in place, so I'd need to fix something under the foot plate.
                  Somebody ought to invest ~$500 in one of these and get back to us
                  and if the coast is clear, I'd get one!

                  EDIT: I followed this link below the video:https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta....71a8bdeZHFeIT

                  The attachment and the device on this site don't match the attachment or device in the video, but they are very similar.
                  If I could get the device on the site with the coupler in the video for $500 and it was reliable and powerful enough for hills, I'd be a customer.
                  I'd like to know the weight but couldn't find it.
                  Well it seems that when I clicked on the alibaba link, it automatically logged me in (I?ve purchased from alibaba previously), as I just received an email from CNEBikes thanking me for looking at their product!

                  They provided the following info (and here is the YouTube video link they mention, which shows the attachment method very clearly...https://youtu.be/VgLR3SjIGFI)

                  There are the matches for handcycle:
                  36v 350w motor with 36v 11.6ah battery--usd 490/set
                  36v 350w motor with 36v 10.4ah battery--usd 470/set
                  36v 350w motor with 36v 8.8ah battery--usd 450/set

                  The N.W of goods is 15kg.
                  The dimension is 70*38*23cm.

                  The speed on the display is :
                  Level 1 - 12km/h
                  Level 2 - 16km/h
                  Level 3 - 20km/h
                  Level-1 is Reverse-- 6km/h


                  Goods can be ready wihtin 7 days after payment done.Warranty is 2 years for motor,1 year for battery,and half year for parts.

                  For more details,You can serch on youtube to see the vedio,just type" cnebikes"

                  The prices exclude delivery, but I still reckon it?s all too good to be true!! Who?s going to be first to buy one and let us all know what it?s like?!?
                  Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So there are 3 battery options? Seems like a no brainer to go 11.6 ah if those prices are accurate. I am pretty interested as well, from videos etc looks like you don't need to add any docking mechanism to your chair so it should work with folder? What did you buy from alibaba / was it good quality?


                    Originally posted by Gordy1 View Post
                    Well it seems that when I clicked on the alibaba link, it automatically logged me in (I?ve purchased from alibaba previously), as I just received an email from CNEBikes thanking me for looking at their product!

                    They provided the following info (and here is the YouTube video link they mention, which shows the attachment method very clearly...https://youtu.be/VgLR3SjIGFI)

                    There are the matches for handcycle:
                    36v 350w motor with 36v 11.6ah battery--usd 490/set
                    36v 350w motor with 36v 10.4ah battery--usd 470/set
                    36v 350w motor with 36v 8.8ah battery--usd 450/set

                    The N.W of goods is 15kg.
                    The dimension is 70*38*23cm.

                    The speed on the display is :
                    Level 1 - 12km/h
                    Level 2 - 16km/h
                    Level 3 - 20km/h
                    Level-1 is Reverse-- 6km/h


                    Goods can be ready wihtin 7 days after payment done.Warranty is 2 years for motor,1 year for battery,and half year for parts.

                    For more details,You can serch on youtube to see the vedio,just type" cnebikes"

                    The prices exclude delivery, but I still reckon it?s all too good to be true!! Who?s going to be first to buy one and let us all know what it?s like?!?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      2 or 3 guys here in France have bought this model from CNEbike. I've read their posts on a forum. It seems to be in accordance with the description, and the quality is good. Fast delivery too.
                      There'no parts to bolt to the chair, it works with big pliers on each side, and I think it can fit foldable chairs (maybe with footrest removed). All the parts are adjustable.
                      Pretty interesting for the price.
                      Last edited by robotnik; 01-10-2018, 07:23 AM.
                      C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
                      my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
                      Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by pete4sake View Post
                        So there are 3 battery options? Seems like a no brainer to go 11.6 ah if those prices are accurate. I am pretty interested as well, from videos etc looks like you don't need to add any docking mechanism to your chair so it should work with folder? What did you buy from alibaba / was it good quality?
                        Agreed, the biggest ah is definitely the way to go, with that minimal price difference.

                        My most recent purchase from alibaba was a couple of bearings to convert an imperial bearing size to a metric size (or vice versa, I can?t remember). I couldn?t even find that type of bearing within Australia. The bearings work fine and arrived very quickly. But Alibaba is just a method for multiple companies to sell through...similar to eBay and Amazon. So it all depends on the supplier. Having said that, I?ve purchased a number of items from China via eBay, alibaba, etc, and am yet to find any real faults. Admittedly none of my purchases have been expensive ones, but if the cheap products are ok, you would think the more expensive ones would be too.
                        Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think this is the hardware for the one in the original post



                          Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
                          Pretty interesting, especially the price!
                          I'd like to see details of the coupling system.
                          Notice that the lower part, an inverted T, must go between your feet. On my Ti chairs, I'd have to cut and weld that part to come down at a more acute angle, in front of footplate, then extend horizontally. I expect that the lateral tube must socket in a pair of pillows when it picks up the front of the chair; otherwise there's no lateral connection to the power wheel and it would not stay in place, so I'd need to fix something under the foot plate.
                          Somebody ought to invest ~$500 in one of these and get back to us
                          and if the coast is clear, I'd get one!

                          EDIT: I followed this link below the video:https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta....71a8bdeZHFeIT

                          The attachment and the device on this site don't match the attachment or device in the video, but they are very similar.
                          If I could get the device on the site with the coupler in the video for $500 and it was reliable and powerful enough for hills, I'd be a customer.
                          I'd like to know the weight but couldn't find it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The one in the video seems to self-lock when thrust into it's receiver, much like a line coupler for pneumatic shop tools.
                            It's much different from the above-in fact everything looks different excepting the general concept.
                            69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                            NW NJ

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Went back and looked at first clip again and I see what you are saying


                              Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
                              The one in the video seems to self-lock when thrust into it's receiver, much like a line coupler for pneumatic shop tools.
                              It's much different from the above-in fact everything looks different excepting the general concept.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X