legs laying on downtubes in chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

legs laying on downtubes in chair

seems as I get older my legs lay on my downtubes more than before, maybe I'm just more sensitive. gets uncomfy. never bothered me b4. anyone else?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

If you mean your legs are spreading out and touching the downtubes, that did gradually happen to me. Went with the cushion inserts that keep your knees together. Makes transferring a little more difficult, but other than that no problems.

Comment

I wish most cushions offered adjustable side bolsters on the front corners to control/combat legs splaying. The Jay Active cushion I used years ago had some that were removable, but they weren't as big as I would have liked.
      C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

Yes, I have that going on as well. One fix is to wrap something like pipe insulation on the tubes. I use "Armaflex" pipe insulation, comes in various diameters and thickness.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Armaflex...1812/100569382
        Last edited by Rustyjames; 2 Jan 2018, 11:29 AM. Reason: Added link

Comment

Be careful and find a seating solution that will correct this. I have had clients who developed fibular head pressure injuries (with osteomyelitis) from allowing their upper lower leg to press against the downtubes like this.

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Use a velcro strap. Been doing that since the early '80's with no repercussions.

Comment

Ditto on the velcro strap. Sportaid will custom make just give them call.

Comment

You can make or have a friend who sews make you a nice Velcro strap. I made several for my mother to put around her thighs to remedy this. We used wide elastic (2" wide) and put a loop on the end of the Velcro to make it easier to place. Just be sure that it is not so tight that it doesn't cut off your circulation...

(KLD)
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

That happens to me too. It's not a problem when sitting in the wheelchair with my Ride cushion because the cushion keeps my legs in place. It is a problem when I transfer. My knees tend to move laterally outward and may get caught in the front angle bend of the wheelchair or other parts of furniture or the car. The velcro strap would be helpful. How do you keep the velcro strap in place and prevent it from falling down to your ankles?

Comment

Not a problem for me just keep it above my knees

Comment

Doesn't that looks odd? Ideally, the strap would attach to a loop on the inside of each pant leg so it would be out of sight. But then the pants would be pulled inward and that would look odd. We need to figure out something that is both practical and stylish.

Comment

Originally posted by August West View Post
                        Doesn't that looks odd? Ideally, the strap would attach to a loop on the inside of each pant leg so it would be out of sight. But then the pants would be pulled inward and that would look odd. We need to figure out something that is both practical and stylish.
                        Well, my mother wore dresses, and kept hers underneath her skirt on her thighs. I have seen men wearing them though, and especially if made from the same color of their slacks, they really are not noticeable. External rotation of the leg comes from the hip, not the knee, so you can control it much better with something that works on the thighs, not the lower legs.

(KLD)

Comment

thx all.
                          any good stretch for hips mine do seem tighter. I stand daily.
                          Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                          Well, my mother wore dresses, and kept hers underneath her skirt on her thighs. I have seen men wearing them though, and especially if made from the same color of their slacks, they really are not noticeable. External rotation of the leg comes from the hip, not the knee, so you can control it much better with something that works on the thighs, not the lower legs.

(KLD)
                          Bike-on.com rep
                          John@bike-on.com
                          c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                          sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

You would need to do a stretch of external rotation. This does not occur with standing, but can be done when laying down and rolling the entire leg inward (not just the foot). Also look at the position of your legs when laying on your back. If you are not using a foot protector that maintains your leg in neutral position, and your legs are rolling outwards, this promotes external rotation contractures (and can also put your outer ankle bones and little pinkie side of your foot at risk for pressure injury).

(KLD)

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                              foot protector that maintains your leg in neutral position, and your legs are rolling outwards, this promotes external rotation contractures (and can also put your outer ankle bones and little pinkie side of your foot at risk for pressure injury).

(KLD)

Could you explain this a little more? What kind of foot protector would maintain this neutral position?

Comment

Working...
                              X