Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Van users

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Eurovan has rack and pinion, not so easy and cheap as a steering box to modify.

    Originally posted by air ohs View Post
    Talk to your suppliers folks. the steering can be made wayyyyyy easier they do mods on the steering gearbox. had mine done and its two finger steering.

    Comment


      #17
      I (C7) use a Honda Odyssey with VMI mods. I lock down my manual chair with an EZ-Lock and transfer to the Honda drivers seat. I've had way too many instances of others driving the van--valet parking, someone backing the van out of a tight spot or just driving for me when I'm too tired--to ever consider removing the drivers seat before I'm physically unable the transfer. My steering is effortless.

      Comment


        #18
        Great video, you have a nice van. Yeah, I noticed it was harder to steer and brake too. I'm just nervous I'll get the van and won't drive it, because I'm scared.

        sorry, I forgot how to post to a certain user (fuentes)
        A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
          I don't think so. The battery is under the driver's seat, so it precludes rolling a wheelchair into the driver's position.

          wtf, a sensitized steering system would help, even more than power steering.

          (KLD)
          Sensitized steering is an option, but I didn't get a quote for that, I'm sure it's an expensive option. I just wondered if certain makes (toyota, honda, chrysler, dodge) if one was easier to steer than another. But, it appears everyone here is driving a full-size.
          A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by wtf View Post
            Sensitized steering is an option, but I didn't get a quote for that, I'm sure it's an expensive option. I just wondered if certain makes (toyota, honda, chrysler, dodge) if one was easier to steer than another. But, it appears everyone here is driving a full-size.
            I just asked my wife about the difference between driving the car she usually drives, (any car actually) and the van. Actually now we happen to have two, a full size Express Chevy and a conversion Rollx Grand Caravan. She said there is no difference except she sits up higher and likes it. So then I asked her about the steering and brakes. No difference. She is no wrestler. I checked with her if I could type this, she can't get the lid off a peanut butter jar. So why the disparity in experiences here? John has long noted his brakes are inferior, and now you state steering is harder too. I think I have a theory. John's and my van are of the same mold, but very different. Mine is bare bones. It is what you would call a work cargo van, no insulation, no flooring, no back seats, no ceiling beyond the driver, and nothing on the side walls except where the doors are. Also it has not been converted except for hand controls. It has no power lift for what ever that would add to the weight. So the lighter weight than John's just might make it easier to drive.
            On the other hand, our mini van has eveything, two six way seats, power ramp, lowered floor and added weight of ground effects. She says the mini is also as easy to drive.

            That said, if it were me now that I've done this and could start over, I would get a new or slightly used full size cargo van with at least one power sliding door already installed and have it converted with two six way seats, hand controls and power lift.
            Of the bunch the hand controls is the hardest to select and get adjusted to suit IMO.
            I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by nonoise View Post
              I just asked my wife about the difference between driving the car she usually drives, (any car actually) and the van. Actually now we happen to have two, a full size Express Chevy and a conversion Rollx Grand Caravan. She said there is no difference except she sits up higher and likes it. So then I asked her about the steering and brakes. No difference. She is no wrestler. I checked with her if I could type this, she can't get the lid off a peanut butter jar. So why the disparity in experiences here? John has long noted his brakes are inferior, and now you state steering is harder too. I think I have a theory. John's and my van are of the same mold, but very different. Mine is bare bones. It is what you would call a work cargo van, no insulation, no flooring, no back seats, no ceiling beyond the driver, and nothing on the side walls except where the doors are. Also it has not been converted except for hand controls. It has no power lift for what ever that would add to the weight. So the lighter weight than John's just might make it easier to drive.
              On the other hand, our mini van has eveything, two six way seats, power ramp, lowered floor and added weight of ground effects. She says the mini is also as easy to drive.

              That said, if it were me now that I've done this and could start over, I would get a new or slightly used full size cargo van with at least one power sliding door already installed and have it converted with two six way seats, hand controls and power lift.
              Of the bunch the hand controls is the hardest to select and get adjusted to suit IMO.
              Thanks for the insight - I plan on getting a used mini-van, I know I need the six way seat - driving from my wheelchair is appealing, but I don't feel secure and by that I mean my balance. I like my sure-grips and will stick with those.
              A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by wtf View Post
                Thanks for the insight - I plan on getting a used mini-van, I know I need the six way seat - driving from my wheelchair is appealing, but I don't feel secure and by that I mean my balance. I like my sure-grips and will stick with those.
                I bought a used mini from a private party off Craigslist. It needed some repairs which I have done from my wheelchair and some with my wife's help. I now know more than I ever wanted to know about Dodge sliding power doors.

                Once you get used to the extra height from a van, you will love it. I use an I-glide to get up the ramp. Actually I-Glide works a lot like a SmartDrive in that you push and it gives a boost for a few seconds and then you push again. My van also has the kneel function, but with the wheelchair's power wheels, I don't use kneel and have turned the kneel permanently off.
                I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

                Comment


                  #23
                  One thing that stopped me from a full sized van was the height restrictions it may pose driving into garages or underground parking.

                  I have a 2000 Chrysler T&C with in floor ramp. I found the in floor is pretty noisy and with that year,if the ramp breaks; someone from the outside has to pull the ramp out manually. The never ones can be manually deployed from the inside. My next one will be another mini van but with the folding ramp. I'll add a couple inches to the bottom part of the fold out to help lessen the incline.

                  It's really good seeing you back. We've missed you.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    its 4k I think and new eval........... be sure u have a way to get up that ramp. I'm strong and that was a problem
                    Originally posted by wtf View Post
                    Sensitized steering is an option, but I didn't get a quote for that, I'm sure it's an expensive option. I just wondered if certain makes (toyota, honda, chrysler, dodge) if one was easier to steer than another. But, it appears everyone here is driving a full-size.
                    the high top adds a lot too. the lift is only 300lb I think. if we do another chevy conv we will get a 2500 for bigger brakes etc. I'm thinking sprinter next though about same price. I'm replacing brakes this spring to a set of the ones suggested here.
                    Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                    I just asked my wife about the difference between driving the car she usually drives, (any car actually) and the van. Actually now we happen to have two, a full size Express Chevy and a conversion Rollx Grand Caravan. She said there is no difference except she sits up higher and likes it. So then I asked her about the steering and brakes. No difference. She is no wrestler. I checked with her if I could type this, she can't get the lid off a peanut butter jar. So why the disparity in experiences here? John has long noted his brakes are inferior, and now you state steering is harder too. I think I have a theory. John's and my van are of the same mold, but very different. Mine is bare bones. It is what you would call a work cargo van, no insulation, no flooring, no back seats, no ceiling beyond the driver, and nothing on the side walls except where the doors are. Also it has not been converted except for hand controls. It has no power lift for what ever that would add to the weight. So the lighter weight than John's just might make it easier to drive.
                    On the other hand, our mini van has eveything, two six way seats, power ramp, lowered floor and added weight of ground effects. She says the mini is also as easy to drive.

                    That said, if it were me now that I've done this and could start over, I would get a new or slightly used full size cargo van with at least one power sliding door already installed and have it converted with two six way seats, hand controls and power lift.
                    Of the bunch the hand controls is the hardest to select and get adjusted to suit IMO.
                    Bike-on.com rep
                    John@bike-on.com
                    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                    sponsored handcycle racer

                    Comment


                      #25
                      ^^^^Good point on wheeling up the ramp. I have a para friend that bought a new Oddesy and she struggles getting up that thing. When She comes to visit I have to give Her a shove getting up it because my driveway has a little taper to it.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Rustyjames View Post
                        ^^^^Good point on wheeling up the ramp. I have a para friend that bought a new Oddesy and she struggles getting up that thing. When She comes to visit I have to give Her a shove getting up it because my driveway has a little taper to it.
                        same here, good friend of ours is a t5 para, strong dude and he really has to lean into it to get up his ramp in a modded explorer.
                        Bike-on.com rep
                        John@bike-on.com
                        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                        sponsored handcycle racer

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                          One thing that stopped me from a full sized van was the height restrictions it may pose driving into garages or underground parking.

                          I have a 2000 Chrysler T&C with in floor ramp. I found the in floor is pretty noisy and with that year,if the ramp breaks; someone from the outside has to pull the ramp out manually. The never ones can be manually deployed from the inside. My next one will be another mini van but with the folding ramp. I'll add a couple inches to the bottom part of the fold out to help lessen the incline.

                          It's really good seeing you back. We've missed you.
                          Yep, the height restrictions are a pain. One thing that bugs me more than garages is the inability to use a drive-thru car wash.
                          "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

                          Comment


                            #28
                            I don't have the high top roofs on my Ford vans so never encountered any high problems.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
                              Look at the Maxda 3. A pretty good cross, between a car and van.
                              I think you mean Mazda 5. The 3 is a regular car. I have the 5. Love it. When I wear this one out, hopefully a few years from now, I'll look for another low mileage used one. Transfers into are easy cause the seat is so low. Chair easily loads behind you with the sliding door right there. Can manually load it, or get a chair loading device. Or make one like I did. This is mine: https://youtu.be/0KgyWxqC1Y0 I've made some improvements to it since then, but the general idea is the same.

                              Best of all is the massive cost savings. 2nd best is the fuel economy compared to a full size or "regular" minivan.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                I bought that pick up and I love it but to diffcut for this quad to transfer to the turny seat and deal with boom and chair I love it even with the rust factor its for sale I love the van especially if we get lift fixed full size 6 way I trandfer to driver seat and drive

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X