ti lite tr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ti lite tr

ok I am not explaining this good but the curve part of the outer frame it sticks out past the seat pant almost 5 inches the front of my chair is 1 1/2 inches in front of my knew making transfer some times difficult

I don/t rember my old chair doing that

is that normal I don/t see it on other chair but ti tlie used the orginal cad so they say

The curve part is called the front angle bend. The distance from the back reset to where the front angle bend starts is called the frame depth. You can specify degree of the bend and the frame depth. Look at this post for more details.

http:///forum/showthread.php?260996-...ee-front-angle

Comment

Originally posted by vjls View Post
      ok I am not explaining this good but the curve part of the outer frame it sticks out past the seat pant almost 5 inches the front of my chair is 1 1/2 inches in front of my knew making transfer some times difficult

I don/t rember my old chair doing that

is that normal I don/t see it on other chair but ti tlie used the orginal cad so they say
      I have been told the curve starts 1.5 inches past the front of the seat and the front bend diameter is usually about 5 inches. I was going to buy one once but ultimately decided against it for reasons of preference - not because I thought the product was lacking.
      Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

A college professor, a man I now consider my dad, once told me...
      "The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
      (1930- )

Comment

The old order form said the default distance from the front of the seat to the start of the bend is 1" (maybe it was 1.5"?). The new order form says that distance is 0.5". These are default values. You can request zero distance. You can even request a negative distance.

Comment

can you post a picture? and include what you're measuring.
          Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

If you are saying the frame sticks out 1.5" past your knees, then no that is not right. As long as you have enough room in front of your cushion to grab the frame for transfers, any extra is wasted material in my opinion. I don't see any reason why the frame would need to stick out 1.5" past your knees. If this is a new chair and it wasn't built to the specs you agreed on, send it back. I made Tilite build me a second frame after messing the first one up. The second one was wrong too, but close enough to live with.

Comment

no cant post a picture measuring from the seat pan edge of cushion its way to late for tile to take back it was model cad from orginal but I do not rember the old chair sticking out that far

I might see about a new chair this year just was aking

Comment

Originally posted by Mutley View Post
                I have been told the curve starts 1.5 inches past the front of the seat and the front bend diameter is usually about 5 inches. I was going to buy one once but ultimately decided against it for reasons of preference - not because I thought the product was lacking.
                yep that mine

Comment

When I got my Ti, they added an inch to the length because, why I do not know, but I think 'stability', but like you have found, that extra length comes at a cost in ease of transfers. They would not shorten the length because of their policy.
                  Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Comment

How much TiLite adds or doesn't add to a chair seems like it has been a moving target through the years and it seems I recall that it can depend on chair design as well. To be safe, if you know exactly what you want, you can specify on your order that you want the bend to start at an exact point. It would seem that if one selects say, 1.5" that is what you would get, but you are not guaranteed; I was a stickler on this with my current chair and had a second CAD drawn and I made clear exactly where I wanted the bend to start after the seat.
                    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

Originally posted by Brianm View Post
                      How much TiLite adds or doesn't add to a chair seems like it has been a moving target through the years and it seems I recall that it can depend on chair design as well. To be safe, if you know exactly what you want, you can specify on your order that you want the bend to start at an exact point. It would seem that if one selects say, 1.5" that is what you would get, but you are not guaranteed; I was a stickler on this with my current chair and had a second CAD drawn and I made clear exactly where I wanted the bend to start after the seat.

A single-amp buddy of mine did the same thing, insisted on his design. He ended up with a rolling endo machine! Fell flat on his face so many times! He eventually pulled the elastomers out of his Froglets and filled the space with washers! Still flipped all the time. His nickname on the ball team ?Endoman?.

FYI They'll add length for Froglegs, also, iirc.

Seems like they have a stability target that they aim for regardless of the spec. If the spec works, great, but it really does seem as though they will tweak it for stability (safety).
                      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
                        A single-amp buddy of mine did the same thing, insisted on his design. He ended up with a rolling endo machine!
                        I'm going through the process right now of specifying where the front angle starts (frame depth). The endo problem your friend had isn't due to a short frame depth. It's due to the user occupied depth being too narrow vs the height of the chair. What you want is a wide base and a short height for stability. Having said that, decreasing the frame depth also results in a decreased user occupied depth unless you decrease the angle of the front bend. As long as you have a stable base, the front bend can be decreased to whatever you desire. I took your advice Oddity and used a conservative user occupied depth as the starting point and then worked back from there. TiLite agrees with all of this.
                        Last edited by August West; 6 Dec 2017, 5:36 PM.

Comment

I just went through the same process with Top End. After the preliminary cad was drawn I made some revisions and spoke with the draftsmen who I made the changes with and he e-mail the results
                          right after he made the changes. I requested the extra frame depth and the OPL. Now I can check the chair measurements against the cad before I accept it. I'll attach the cad drawing for reference.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by August West View Post
                            I'm going through the process right now of specifying where the front angle starts (frame depth). The endo problem your friend had isn't due to a short frame depth. It's due to the user occupied depth being too narrow vs the height of the chair. What you want is a wide base and a short height for stability. Having said that, decreasing the frame depth also results in a decreased user occupied depth unless you decrease the angle of the front bend. As long as you have a stable base, the front bend can be decreased to whatever you desire. I took your advice Oddity and used a conservative user occupied depth as the starting point and then worked back from there. TiLite agrees with all of this.

Awesome! Hope the new chair works out. Such a nerve wracking process at times.

Absolutely, this chair was a disaster from the start. No dump, 19?hx17?wx17?d, 90deg front end with Froglegs. IIRC, he said they wanted to add 2? to the frame before the bend and he insisted they not. It was a TR, in the previous version of the box frame.
                            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
                              No dump, 19"hx17"x17"d, 90deg front end...
                              He wanted to be tall and compact. That works well for access but not so well for mobility.

Comment

Working...
                              X