Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Freewheel] So, i'm pushing my wheelchair from vancouver to yukon....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Freewheel] So, i'm pushing my wheelchair from vancouver to yukon....

....i have a freewheel rack on me. All of you know that the hinges is secured with zipties.

I've only made 120km to chilliwack (heading east from vancouver) and i managed to break my hinge 3 times now. And since it broke that much, i made a little modification. I used metal clamp and grind the hinge to set them up.

I can see it being broken permanently with this mod but i also know it's not gonna last any longer with the ziptie either. And sure enough, it's broken now.

Hey pat, can we have like a metal mount for these so i can just weld it to my chair? I'm using icon wheelchair. Or can i get the design so i can send it to fabricators?

I'm not making complaints. I know the rack wasnt intended for heavy stuff or real offroad trips but i was trying to figure things out. I wish it can tho. I really wish it's doable.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

No advice to offer but wow good for you! Personal journey or raising funds or awareness?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

I know you can work it out! Sounds like a fantastic trip.

Comment

Kudos! That is a challenging journey.

Unfortunately, I can't see the pics to understand what is needed, but Canadian Tire sells some pretty beefy hose clamps that would at least be better than zip ties (if you haven't already thought of it).

Best of luck on your trip!

Comment

Sorry the link didnt work.

Is this the hose clamp you were talking about? I did made some mod to it because i found these in the store, but....

Still broken

There's no real solution to offroad rack i guess. But it sucks to carry heavy burden on your spine for thousands of kilometer. I might now have any other option but to carry a backpack.
          walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Comment

Personal trip. I kinda want to challenge what i initially can do. I'm on this trip with my dog, but personally i would really love it if someone comes join me. It gets really lonely pushing along the roads for hundreds of miles with no cars and with bears around. If i have a partner, we can be lonely together ������
            walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Comment

As the youngsters say, (used to??) big ups to you.

Don't mention the bears

Comment

Greatly admire your spirit. Can you get some bear spray.

Comment

Best wishes to you Nia. Your spirit is to be admired. Hope the weather and winter hold out for you. If I could, I would join you in a hot minute. I am T11-L1 post 2008 year. Keep us posted on your progress and adventure.
                  I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Comment

Have you contacted the Canadian Paraplegic Association? I'm sure many would join you along the way. I wish I had known as I live 30 miles from Vancouver.

Terry Fox started the same way you did. It started as a personal journey with a friend and an old van. He approached the Cancer Organization for possible financial help and they poo-pooed his idea to run across Canada. They had no time for him at all until he started getting publicity from local city stations he was running thru. Same with Rick Hansen; he was going to go it alone in memory of Terry until Stan Stronge came on board and pushed it to what it became.

I trust you are documenting or keeping a journal along the way.

Comment

Even getting minor service on wheelchair helps actually.

My roundbetty dino creaks like hell. Some of them came loose i just tighten it myself. I probably should go with spinergy instead of pair of dinos.

I wanted to document it all but all i have is a not-so-good phone. Cant really take stable video with this. But i'll try my best. I just started my trip a week ago and only gotten about 220km from vancouver. Cant believe how steep the mountains get here in canada.
                      walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Comment

Take notes whatever you can do to make a record of your journey. Lol, yeah, the mountains are steep. They've conquered many a soul trying to get over them.

Where's your next stop; if Vernon or Kamloops perhaps we can get Advanced Mobility or a bike shop to check things out on my dime. Or wherever you're at. I pm'd my info to you if needed.

Comment

I am heading towards kamloops. But i cant say for certain when i will arrive. Someday pushing is good. Someday i only get abt 15km done because of the mountain. It's worse when you cant wear any glove because you need every grip you have going up and down.
                          walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Comment

As much as I hate them, maybe contact the Rick Hansen Foundation? You'd have a gang to join you by the end of the week and they'd probably bend over backwards to make sure your equipment is up to date and in functioning order.

https://www.rickhansen.com/About-Us/Contact-Us
                            Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Anything i should know before contacting them? Why do you hate them?
                              walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X