Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motion Composites - MotionComposites.com anyone have one of there chairs rate them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion Composites - MotionComposites.com anyone have one of there chairs rate them

https://www.motioncomposites.com/

My PT is talking about their chairs! Will hopefully have some samples to look at.... of course not in my size!

Whats the word on the street with this company, how do they rate against colors, quickie, and Tilite ?

How would the apex chair stand up against a Tilite TR ?

I'm a little heavy so really like the box frame for minimizing the frame flex, and to be honest pretty skeptical of carbon fibre chairs.
    The apex design doesn't look anything revolutionary.
    How do their components hold up over time?
    How much customization do they do, comparable to tilite.

Anyone out there love them? hate them ?

The Tilite Tr is a rigid box frame. The one pictured looks more like a ZRA. For myself, I don't like the front caster assembly. It looks like they would have a tendency to move out of alignment with a good whack. The front caster houswing looks weak imo.

I'm not a fan of the larger tubing, open frame design due to too much flex and tougher to grip during transfers. I like a box frame like my Tr3 for it being rigid and using smaller diameter tubing making it easier to grip for transfers..

Comment

Cheers for the response.
      Yes, they don't seem to do a carbon fibre box frame
      I'm sure they'll try to tell me that the carbon fibre makes the box frame superfluous, but not convinced.

Wondering how well their components will hold up over time.

I too like the smaller diameter tubing of the TR, talking of taking a good whack I've managed to bend the caster bolt in my current TR and had to send it back to be replaced, also managed to snapped the aluminum axle tube of my TR, now has a homemade steel tube ! debating whether to fit the replacement aluminum tube (insurance covered it, but wouldn't upgrade or give and option to upgrade to the titanium tube!)

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
      The Tilite Tr is a rigid box frame. The one pictured looks more like a ZRA. For myself, I don't like the front caster assembly. It looks like they would have a tendency to move out of alignment with a good whack. The front caster houswing looks weak imo.

I'm not a fan of the larger tubing, open frame design due to too much flex and tougher to grip during transfers. I like a box frame like my Tr3 for it being rigid and using smaller diameter tubing making it easier to grip for transfers..

Comment

For myself, I don't like the front caster assembly. It looks like they would have a tendency to move out of alignment with a good whack. The front caster houswing looks weak imo.
        The front caster assembly looks similar to the Icon. From my son's Icon experience, they have never moved out of alignment, but if a good whack did put them out of alignment, then they are easy to re-adjust back into position. Compare that to a fully welded assembly, which will never go back to its original position once bent.

I do agree that the housing (or more specifically the bolt beneath the caster arm) looks weaker than it should.

As for how the Apex components hold up over time, I'd assume that nobody knows yet, as it's a pretty new product, isn't it?
        Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Comment

It was more a general question about Motion Composites , how do their wheelchairs hold up generally.
          [QUOTE=Gordy1;1840204

As for how the Apex components hold up over time, I'd assume that nobody knows yet, as it's a pretty new product, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

Comment

Changing out the front axle is really easy. The main thing to do after loosening up the hex nut is to heat the axle so the Stay tight stuff softens up and you can unscrew it. If you don't heat it up, it'll wreck the threads. Takes about 5 minutes to change out. I use a Titanium camber bar rather than the aluminum. Seems to hold up better.

I'm hesitant having a carbon fibre frame; especially an open frame. It's fairly new Gordy but made by the same group who originally made the Icon. I'm at the stage where weight isn't the main factor when considering which chair to buy. As much as I dislike Tilte because of the customer service; their Tr is a good chair.

Comment

It's fairly new Gordy but made by the same group who originally made the Icon
              That's confused me! I thought the original Icon makers were still the current Icon owners?
              Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Comment

As much as I dislike Tilte because of the customer service; their Tr is a good chair.
                Atleast I'm not the only one that feels this way. After dealing with tilites customer service 3 times I was ready to go with another company but really like the Tr
                c6 inc since 2-19-11
                ex pro-am motocross racer
                tilite aero z s2

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy1 View Post
                  That's confused me! I thought the original Icon makers were still the current Icon owners?
                  I think that was a reference to the engineering and manufacturing company that actually built the Icon, not the owners of the company. Although, they did sell a significant portion of the company off a few years ago, IIRC.
                  "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

I have a Veloce Motion composites carbon fiber folding chair and it's great. Very rigid and lightweight, no issues with the chair. Wrote a review of it on this forum a while back but nobody seemed much interested.
                    "Life is about how you
                    respond to not only the
                    challenges you're dealt but
                    the challenges you seek...If
                    you have no goals, no
                    mountains to climb, your
                    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
                      I have a Veloce Motion composites carbon fiber folding chair and it's great. Very rigid and lightweight, no issues with the chair. Wrote a review of it on this forum a while back but nobody seemed much interested.

I was interested, and appreciated your review. This seemed to be a good fit for my Dad, who needs a folding chair, but was too pricey for him.

Comment

thank you.
                        how long have you had it now? and no issues ?

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post

Comment

I've had it since December so nearly 10 months now. I weigh 215 pounds and have bounced down curbs, steps at the bowling alley, jumped down from high transfers from my hot tub and the chair remains solid and squeak free. Ya, the chair is expensive although by carbon fiber standards it is not that expensive, I'm sure the price of carbon fiber chairs will drop in time. As far as I'm concerned it is worth every penny, the frame is only around 11 pounds in my 17" wide x 18 long configuration. I've always liked the idea of a folding chair over a rigid as it is just so much more transportable and easier getting it in the car. I think a lot of people get nervous about these chairs with #1 price and #2 durability. Neither of these should be a concern as from what I've seen it's worth every penny because of the lightweight and build quality and #2 it is super strong and I don't anticipate any problems with this chair and even if I do by some chance there is a 5 year warrantee on the frame and thats normally about the time I think about replacing chairs. Here's my review http:///forum/showthread.php?260641-...8-month-Review Oh and I'll bet the the arms on the rigid chair that attach the front casters are very solid even though I've never checked out that chair (the Apex) From the way I've seen that this company engineers things, I have no worries.
                          Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 20 Sep 2017, 10:35 PM.
                          "Life is about how you
                          respond to not only the
                          challenges you're dealt but
                          the challenges you seek...If
                          you have no goals, no
                          mountains to climb, your
                          soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Any trouble importing it, or is there a US dealer?
                            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
                              Any trouble importing it, or is there a US dealer?
                              Bike-on.com according to Curt's review post.

I'll be keeping an eye on all the carbon fibre chairs over the next couple of years, as I reckon my son will be wanting one when he starts to drive (and that's a scary thought...growing up too quick!).

Comment

Working...
                              X