Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motion Composites - MotionComposites.com anyone have one of there chairs rate them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless something dramatically revolutionizes wheelchair construction, the Apex will be my next chair. Last year my DME wanted to sell me a Pantera for $12000 CAD. The Apex is not that much heavier and between $5-6K CAD, which is what I paid for my Tilite ZRA V2. When you look at it's construction you realize how highly adaptable the chair is. Here is the brochure: http://www.motioncomposites.com/wp-c...rochure_EN.pdf (I really love the front casters and integrated bubble levels in rear axle tube and front caster arms.)

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy1 View Post
      Bike-on.com according to Curt's review post.

I'll be keeping an eye on all the carbon fibre chairs over the next couple of years, as I reckon my son will be wanting one when he starts to drive (and that's a scary thought...growing up too quick!).

Yes, the Veloce folder and Helio are listed but not this new rigid frame.
      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Both chairs are amazing, I had looked into the Apex a while back for a friend and as I remember the aluminum version is around 2700 USD and the Carbon Fiber Version is around 4 grand USD. Myself, I see no reason not to get the folding version called the Veloce like I have. Maybe thats why nobody commented on my original review back a while ago because most rule out a folding chair because they have been so conditioned over the years that a rigid chair is better, while that may have been true some years ago it is not true these days with all the technology that goes into these chairs. My chair rolls just good as a rigid chair and is like 99 percent as solid.
        Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 21 Sep 2017, 12:24 PM.
        "Life is about how you
        respond to not only the
        challenges you're dealt but
        the challenges you seek...If
        you have no goals, no
        mountains to climb, your
        soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
          Both chairs are amazing, I had looked into the Apex a while back for a friend and as I remember the aluminum version is around 2700 USD and the Carbon Fiber Version is around 4 grand USD. Myself, I see no reason not to get the folding version called the Veloce like I have. Maybe thats why nobody commented on my original review back a while ago because most rule out a folding chair because they have been so conditioned over the years that a rigid chair is better, while that may have been true some years ago it is not true these days with all the technology that goes into these chairs. My chair rolls just good as a rigid chair and is like 99 percent as solid.
          I agree, folders have come a long way. I'd use one if I needed one, but since I have yet to encounter a scenario where a folder would have helped me, I'd rather a rigid frame. The simplest solution is my preferred solution, all else being equal.
          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

I was just talking to a tech from a Wheelchair Company and he said he highly recommends anyone that is 'heavier' to stay away from Carbon Fiber and Titanium chairs. Carbon Fiber is very rigid but also prone to stress cracks. Titanium has better a strength to weight ratio than Aluminium but that's at the same weight. Titanium also naturally flexes making it a bad choice for those who want a more rigid ride.

I have a TiLite TRA and it was amazing when I first got it. But now I feel my old Quickie GT was better because of it didn't need repair as much, no creaking and easier to adjust than my TRA.
            I might go with Lasher Sport next if I can afford it.
            Never Give Up!

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
              I see no reason not to get the folding version called the Veloce like I have. My chair rolls just good as a rigid chair and is like 99 percent as solid.
              1. You can't use a rigid back.
              2. It will vibrate more.
              3. It will split when you jump curbs.
              4. You can't get it into a car by yourself in short time and effort and without tearing up your car.

This limits the user to an upholstery back, going slow, never jumping a curb, and either driving a van or having the ability to load it into the trunk of a vehicle.

Comment

The inherent problem with carbon fiber is that it fractures much more easily than aluminum or titanium. If you can accept that, then you still have the problem of chipped paint. I prefer titanium. It is much stronger and doesn't require paint. It will always be strong and look good.

Comment

After some research, I am ready to order a Motion Composites Apex. If anyone has some updated thoughts on this chair, components, cautions and such, I would be most appreciative.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
                    I agree, folders have come a long way. I'd use one if I needed one, but since I have yet to encounter a scenario where a folder would have helped me, I'd rather a rigid frame. The simplest solution is my preferred solution, all else being equal.
                    I'd like a folder for travel. I was traveling all over the state of Queretaro last week in "normal" cars where my rigid frame chair is a pain in the butt. Seriously considering the Veloce.

Re: carbon fiber - uber stiff and strong but horribly vulnerable to impact damage...
                    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

I have 6 mos. experience with an Apex. It has its quirks, I don’t have time right now for lengthy email but first and foremost is the MC concept of High Modulus Carbon meaning there is a give before it stiffens. It really comes in to play in rougher terrain or sidewalk seams as the casters and front frame will flex fore and aft about 1/4 to 3/8s inch. I’ve had the caster arms slip before the upper screw uses a “security” head but you can buy the bit easily. This same elasticity when going over an uneven surface say cross wise on a door threshold you can feel it twist under the footplate and seat slightly.
                      It is light and balanced nicely for lifting into the car.
                      Note the frame warranty is void if you jump curbs. Ask any other questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Stsmark View Post
                        I have 6 mos. experience with an Apex. It has its quirks, I don’t have time right now for lengthy email but first and foremost is the MC concept of High Modulus Carbon meaning there is a give before it stiffens. It really comes in to play in rougher terrain or sidewalk seams as the casters and front frame will flex fore and aft about 1/4 to 3/8s inch. I’ve had the caster arms slip before the upper screw uses a “security” head but you can buy the bit easily. This same elasticity when going over an uneven surface say cross wise on a door threshold you can feel it twist under the footplate and seat slightly.
                        It is light and balanced nicely for lifting into the car.
                        Note the frame warranty is void if you jump curbs. Ask any other questions.
                        Really appreciate your thoughts. I suspect that there are trade offs with just about anything. Am I correct in inferring that you do not see any “deal breakers” with the chair so far? I use my chair mostly for moving from place to place and then I generally transfer to some other surface, and I will be using it in and out of my car for driving.

Comment

Warranty doesn't cover dropping down off curbs? Or wheelie hopping up them? That's a deal breaker, if that's a chair breaker. If it can't do at least what every other chair can do, hard to call it a step forward.

Comment

Man you got that right!
                            Warranty doesn't cover dropping down off curbs? Or wheelie hopping up them? That's a deal breaker, if that's a chair breaker. If it can't do at least what every other chair can do, hard to call it a step forward.

Comment

Apex Warranty and Curbs

A point well taken. I was rereading the warranty and did not see anything referencing curbs, but there was language citing ?misuse and abuse? as voiding the warranty.......that language could mean almost anything one wanted it to.

I will I?ll get more clarification.

Thank you.

Comment

Yeah it sounded a bit unreasonable. Thanks for clarifying.

Originally posted by jgtrev View Post
                                A point well taken. I was rereading the warranty and did not see anything referencing curbs, but there was language citing ?misuse and abuse? as voiding the warranty.......that language could mean almost anything one wanted it to.

I will I?ll get more clarification.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X