Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advantage Bags? Wheelchair backpack advice?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Advantage Bags? Wheelchair backpack advice?

    Does anyone have experience with these backpacks? https://www.advantagebag.com/collect...chair-bac-pacs If so, what do you think?

    Right now, I use a regular backpack but I'm thinking of switching over to something specifically designed for a wheelchair. The big problem for me is getting the straps over the back of my chair since I ride in a very low profile chair. If any of you wonderful folks have any ideas on modding existing bags I'm all ears.

    Last thing, I need to look professional-ish when I'm rolling around (I'm an attorney) and I usually have to carry some files and my laptop around with me. The reason I like that advantage bag is because it looks like a briefcase.

    Yer pal,
    SD

    p.s.,
    Shout out to all my former APP buddies.



    "Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you. . ."
    --J.P. Sartre

    #2
    That site you referenced has some interesting options under the "Down Under Bags" wheelchair bags. I have used the Delux Down Under Bag for years and tried the Down Under Shelf. I used the Sportaid back packs for decades until recent past - hurt my elderly shoulder when trying to pull up the vertical zipper on the side of the pack - I really liked that backpack because I could easily add or retrieve stuff by leaving the zipper open a bit. You may want to check Sportaid web site, too. I now use a purse that sort of rests on my footrest with strap slung over one knee. I'm female, but they have "man purses" that may be more professional looking.
    I liked the concept of that under-seat shelf system, however it was really difficult for me to access things - seems it would have worked if I wanted the grab the items when I was outside of my chair.
    Once had that mesh fabric storage device that attached to frame under chair. I loved it but had a bit of difficulty retrieving stuff. This type of storage might not fit your idea of a professional image. I used to put my bulky camera there and it stayed put.

    If you are planning to twist around and remove a pack from behind your chair, suggest you consider the weight of things inside. Having a second pack on your chair would let you lighten the load. There could be stress on your shoulders to consider.
    There's a pack I've seen advertised in disability related magazines (New Mobility), that fits behind the knees under the front of the chair, with a vertical zipper. It appears someone is sliding a laptop into the pack.

    The type of transportation you use may be considered too. Van travel - no unloading of packs on chair. Car travel - removal of backpack? Subway or cab travel?
    Will add that I've seen a number of chair users who simply place a standard briefcase on their laps. Might make weight shifts more difficult, but nice to have a "desk" to write on, etc.
    Last edited by triumph; 8 Aug 2017, 8:39 AM.

    Comment


      #3
      This is what I use. https://www.basil.com/en/malaga-sing...bag-black.html It clips on the back bar and you just lift it off when needed.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by StephenD View Post

        Last thing, I need to look professional-ish when I'm rolling around (I'm an attorney) and I usually have to carry some files and my laptop around with me. The reason I like that advantage bag is because it looks like a briefcase.

        Yer pal,
        SD

        p.s.,
        Shout out to all my former APP buddies.
        An attorney, huh? Would you consider yourself a paralegal?
        See what I did there?
        And welcome back!
        Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

        Comment


          #5
          Believe it or not I sometimes introduce myself as the "paralawyer."

          "Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you. . ."
          --J.P. Sartre

          Comment


            #6
            That is the bag I use.It is great.

            Comment


              #7
              Up until this past Wednesday I used an Advantage backpack which they discontinued several years back for the past 23 years, and yes that one backpack lasted all those years. I keep my daily cath stuff in the backpack but it was past time for something new, so I started looking around and saw a video of a fellow para who used a small pack under the front of his chair to hold his daily cath supplies. I ended up ordering the Advantage Deluxe Down-Under pack (model WH175) that fit under the front of my chair. I installed it Wednesday of this past week and found the pack to be just what I needed and it holds all of my stuff. It has 2 compartments, the front one is large enough for my keys, knife, and a small bottle of hand sanitizer and the 2nd and larger compartment holds my daily cath stuff. I wish that I would have changed sooner because my chair looks so much better without my old backpack hanging off the back of my chair.
              SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
              T4,5,6 Incomplete
              Chair: TiLite TR3

              Comment


                #8
                Does anyone have this guy (WH180)? If so, i have a question for you.
                Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by stumpybushman View Post
                  Up until this past Wednesday I used an Advantage backpack which they discontinued several years back for the past 23 years, and yes that one backpack lasted all those years. I keep my daily cath stuff in the backpack but it was past time for something new, so I started looking around and saw a video of a fellow para who used a small pack under the front of his chair to hold his daily cath supplies. I ended up ordering the Advantage Deluxe Down-Under pack (model WH175) that fit under the front of my chair. I installed it Wednesday of this past week and found the pack to be just what I needed and it holds all of my stuff. It has 2 compartments, the front one is large enough for my keys, knife, and a small bottle of hand sanitizer and the 2nd and larger compartment holds my daily cath stuff. I wish that I would have changed sooner because my chair looks so much better without my old backpack hanging off the back of my chair.
                  I have the Down Under bag and it's alright for smaller things. If StephenD is a lawyer and wants to put files and your typical 8"x11" papers in a bag, the Down Under bag is way to small.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by smokey View Post
                    I have the Down Under bag and it's alright for smaller things. If StephenD is a lawyer and wants to put files and your typical 8"x11" papers in a bag, the Down Under bag is way to small.
                    Do you have the one that I posted a picture of?
                    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Crappler View Post
                      Does anyone have this guy (WH180)? If so, i have a question for you.
                      Yep - I have that one.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I recently picked up a Timbuk2 Classic Messenger Bag. I have foldable push handles, so I just hang the messenger bag over the posts. I'm sure you could get someone to create a simple way to hang the bag on your chair - just some webbing and clips.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          As an attorney, wouldn't you rather carry a briefcase than a backpack? You can do so with a luggage rack attachment on the front of the wheelchair. Because they are on the front, they don't shift your center of gravity backward and they are easier to access. The briefcase will be most easily secured if the front bar angle is 85 degrees or less (first picture) because that tilts the briefcase backward with your legs recessed and out of the way. If your front end is 90 degrees (second picture) the briefcase will be forward tippy especially if your legs are protruding beyond the front bars. But that's still manageable with a strap between the briefcase handle and the wheelchair cushion handle.

                          I also use the luggage rack to carry a hand basket when shopping.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by August West; 16 Aug 2017, 12:51 AM.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by HockeyFan View Post
                            Yep - I have that one.
                            Is the bag stretchy enough to fit a urinal bottle and catheter supplies in the big pocket?
                            Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Crappler View Post
                              Is the bag stretchy enough to fit a urinal bottle and catheter supplies in the big pocket?
                              Using a leg bag without straps to drain into (and later discard the urine) instead of a urinal would save you a lot of space needs, and makes easier to avoid spills than a urinal. Keep it in a baggie, and then clean when you return home each day.

                              (KLD)
                              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X