Smart Check Roho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart Check Roho

I am currently on bed rest because it seems one of my carers accidentally put too much air in my Roho. I have been having a problem with a sweat rash way down in the crease of my backside next to my scrotum. On Thursday morning my carer put some more airing my cushion. This morning we discovered horrible black mark and slightly open in the area. I can only put it down to the cushion being too much overinflated.

If you are a Roho user and do the hand check yourself and you are probably quite confident that you are getting it right every time. However, if you are relying on other people to do the hand check for you you're basically putting your life in their hands.

I've never really been that confident with the hand check, everybody's hands are different, some are bigger than others so everybody is going to get a different reading. Roho has now developed something they call Smart Check which basically takes the guesswork out of using your hand. I'm wondering if any people here have got one and how you have been getting on with it.

Also, has anyone had any experience using the Star Lock cushion?
    Tetraplegic & Spinal Injury Site

There was this thread awhile ago.

http:///forum/showthread.php?234675-...ho+smart+check

Comment

I have one, no onger use it as we have found it to be inconsistent, we had to use a custom setting and never seemed to get an accurate check. Gauge would suggest over/under inflated, we would pump to green light, disconnect/reconnect and it would still be out. 2nd Smart Check I've had both did the same. We always ended up checking manually which was the reason I wanted to use Smart Check, my support workers all have different ideas what is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by mrb View Post
        I have one, no longer use it as we have found it to be inconsistent, we had to use a custom setting and never seemed to get an accurate check. Gauge would suggest over/under inflated, we would pump to green light, disconnect/reconnect and it would still be out. 2nd Smart Check I've had both did the same. We always ended up checking manually which was the reason I wanted to use Smart Check, my support workers all have different ideas what is correct.
        We found the same to be true.

Now here's something weird. A Permobil/ROHO rep was at a recent PT appt. and said that my daughter's cushion could have been one of a batch of defective ones? They called and determined that it was. My question; why weren't we notified? She had a flap surgery a year ago and getting the Smart Check seemed like a good idea with 5 PCA's when she is away at college in Tucson. Just never seemed to work the way we were hoping and almost cost her another sore!

A replacement is on the way (still under warranty) and we will pressure map again etc. I will post here if it works the way it is intended. In the meantime, it might be worth you checking that YOUR cushion doesn't fall under the defective ones. If it does, get that replacement at no charge.

Comment

Mine was purchased through the UK NHS, I was selected to trial if for my local area. Permobil were aware of this and replaced the first one and didn't mention a faulty batch. 2nd one was exactly the same and they didn't do anything about it. I stopped using it, local NHS now won't purchase a smart check. Poor product, poor service if they can't take the initiative and follow up by letting me or NHS know if there was a faulty batch but IMHO about typical for the majority of suppliers in disability industry.

Comment

Good to know. I think we should look at another cushion.

Comment

There is a warranty action for the Sensor Ready cushion / Smart Check, which if you have one of the impacted units (determined by serial number range) will be replaced for you at no-charge. If you have a Smart Check device and want to inquire about whether or not it is eligible for replacement, please contact our warranty services team - warranty.roho@permobil.com.

Comment

I have a fusion cushion and the roho insert is lopsided - one side deflates completely by the end of the day, and it's not a valve issue, nor is there a leak and I don't have an underlying postural problem. This is my third experience of a roho being wonky. I'm not sure what the internal quality control issues are but I'm clear that they aren't a good option for me.

Comment

Originally posted by annev308 View Post
                  I have a fusion cushion and the roho insert is lopsided - one side deflates completely by the end of the day, and it's not a valve issue, nor is there a leak and I don't have an underlying postural problem. This is my third experience of a roho being wonky. I'm not sure what the internal quality control issues are but I'm clear that they aren't a good option for me.
                  Contact Tom Borcherding, President of Roho, Inc. division of Permobil at tom.borcherding@permobil.com. He has been very responsive to questions and problems members have with Roho products.

Comment

The Fusion cushion is manufactured by Sunrise Medical (ROHO supplies the air insert as a component to Sunrise). Please contact the customer service department at Sunrise Medical (webmaster@sunmed.com; 800.333.4000) and inquire about their warranty replacement policy for your air insert. I'm sure they will ask you for the model and serial number of the cushion, so have this information ready in advance.

Comment

We have our replacement cushion via the warranty. My confidence with the product is on the low side. Until my daughter heads back to college I am doing daily checks with the Smart Check reader and hand checks. (Also exploring a Ride cushion or just going back to a Quadtro.)

Comment

Originally posted by Domosoyo View Post
                        We have our replacement cushion via the warranty. My confidence with the product is on the low side. Until my daughter heads back to college I am doing daily checks with the Smart Check reader and hand checks. (Also exploring a Ride cushion or just going back to a Quadtro.)
                        I'm about to contact Roho UK and see if mine is to be replaced. I've been on a Quadtro for a while, just had my ischial pressure sore return, 6 weeks after we thought that it was healed, 3rd time in the last 10 months. Started looking for alternating cell options despite the pressure map on the Roho looking good.

Comment

Originally posted by mrb View Post
                          I'm about to contact Roho UK and see if mine is to be replaced. I've been on a Quadtro for a while, just had my ischial pressure sore return, 6 weeks after we thought that it was healed, 3rd time in the last 10 months. Started looking for alternating cell options despite the pressure map on the Roho looking good.
                          Are you sitting on a 4 inch Roho cushion? Have you ever considered asking Roho to make you a custom 5 inch version? That's what they did for me after mapping showed higher pressures than you would want on the 4 inch Roho. Even though the 5 inch version didn't completely eliminate the problem, certainly improve the and I didn't have any problems in three years sitting on the 5 inch Roho.

Those alternating cell cushions are extremely expensive. You can only go by the testimonials on their website to how good they actually perform. However, I've spoken to people who are less than impressed with them. If you think about it, it is six of one and half a dozen of the other. Whilst one set of cells is completely flat, all the pressure is surely redirected somewhere else on your backside?

However, if we are to believe the testimonials of real people who have had success then the cushion could well be the answer to a lot of people's prayers.

Just as a matter of interest, does your pressure sore start off with a red mark?
                          Tetraplegic & Spinal Injury Site

Comment

4 inch Roho but it pressure maps well. My cushion is supplied by UK NHS so doesn't cost me anything.It is difficult to find feedback on alternating cushions but I struggle to get moved through the day, tip back as far as tilt goes and support worker tips me forward but ideally I need to be moved. Could do with a hoist onto the bed but only have one support worker during the day and they aren't allowed to move a vented patient alone.

I do need to find a solution, thought that the quadtro was it but obviously not. Can't even put it down to incorrect settings as same support worker checks each week. Back in bed again so plenty of time to think.

Comment

Yes by all means go by more than just a testimonial on the alternating cushions websites. Look at the important aspects that are based on fact data such as clinical reports, clinical studies, actual healing of existing sores documented by medical personnel and not the cushion company and most importantly pressure mapping videos showing the pressure changing back and forth as opposed to constant pressure from other cushions. Testimonials hold far less importance since they can be written by anyone but a clinical report with the clinicians name is for real. Also be sure and check into the return policy if it doesn't perform as expected.

Comment

Working...
                              X