Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery leaking! Anyone have this happen before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other things to check for.

Some things to check:

Check for dirty or loose connectors/connections on the circuit board.

Check for loose wires on any of the connectors. Tug on them to make sure they are tight.

Make sure the battery connectors are clean and tight with no corrosion or oxidation on them.

Make sure the ground connector is tight and clean. A loose ground will give you all sorts of problems.

Check your charger connector and make sure the wires are tight and the connector/contactors are clean.

Buy yourself and inexpensive Volt-Ohm Meter, VOM at Walmart, Radio Shack, Sears Hardware, Ace Hardware or amazon.com and check your voltage at full charge and when you start to have problems. Fifteen dollars should buy you a decent one to check voltage.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

your charger could be putting out to many volts and damaging the batteries.

Comment

How do I check my chargers to see if they're putting out too many volts?

Comment

Originally posted by beatscookin View Post
          How do I check my chargers to see if they're putting out too many volts?
          Use a decent voltmeter across the terminals when the battery is undergoing a charge.
          As Royb also mentioned, the charger could be charging at too great a rate and/or not floating but continuing to charge when the battery reaches its fully charged state; generally in the 14.5 range(?).
          Sealed batteries have no capacity to vent the gases that are generated when allowed to be overcharged (boil). Without wanting to scaring the beejeezus out of you, these gases will find an exit, possibly catastrophic. Think a pot of boiling spuds and you trying to hold the lid on.

I am not an electrician. Best you get the system checked by a capable person and for your future needs, observe what is utilised and how; ask questions.
          My further advice?
          Do not use your current 'technician'. Sorry for the pun
          Last edited by slow_runner; 06-21-2017, 04:52 PM.

Comment

In my opinion most everyone agrees on one point your tech is not very good, and you likely have a charging problem. Educate yourself try using this site;http: //batteryuniversity.com as a reference. It may be a bit technical but it is very accurate and factual. Good Luck

Comment

i'll ad that i'd demand mk batteries as they are being payed the same price through insurance/medicare/medicaid and are providing you with junk made in china batteries to increase their profits. if you travel those leakers arent approved ...

Comment

The NuMotion tech came for the second time and installed the new MK batteries I had requested the first time. Last time he said he couldn't find any corrosion on the cables. This time he found obvious corrosion on one of the negative wires. I asked him to clean off the corrosion and he refused. He said "we don't clean connections, we just order new cords." He went away, and then I found out from Permobil that they no longer sell this cord!

I've been in touch with Chuck Lee, tech support manager at Permobil, and he's walking me through the repair by email. This is supposed to be the NuMotion tech's job! When I complained to the manager's manager, she said "this is your opportunity to teach him how to fix your chair." Lucky me. . .

Fortunately the Permobil manager thinks if I get the corrosion cleaned off, and replace the SLS box just to be sure, then I should be good to go. I'm going to go back to charging with my big Lester cube instead of the crappy no name charger NuMotion gave me last year. The Permobil manager said the NuMotion charger could be ok for travel but shouldn't be used all the time. Wish NuMotion would have told me that when they gave it to me!

NuMotion will only open a route to my area once a month, which really sucks. Going on 7 weeks now without repair results, and I'm sure they're going to make me wait another 3 weeks or more before they'll send the tech out again.

Comment

You should check each battery with a volt meter before you install them to make sure the voltage is the same. I wouldn't trust anything that company supplies you with. Your Lester charger will be fine for charging, just make sure the switch is set for gel batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustyjames View Post
                    You should check each battery with a volt meter before you install them to make sure the voltage is the same. I wouldn't trust anything that company supplies you with. Your Lester charger will be fine for charging, just make sure the switch is set for gel batteries.
                    Yup, I had him check each MK battery. Thanks for the reminder on the Lester switch.

Comment

Numotion still sells MK you just have to ask and pay the difference if your batteries are funded.

Check the wiring harness to the batteries and the joystick.

Comment

Originally posted by RollPositive View Post
                        Numotion still sells MK you just have to ask and pay the difference if your batteries are funded.

Check the wiring harness to the batteries and the joystick.
                        Yeah, NuMotion told me they don't sell MKs anymore. When I talked to the manager and pointed out their cheap batteries leaked, then magically she said they would order the MKs for me. There was no mention of having to pay more for them - maybe because Permobil recommends the MKs for my older chair. I'm sure they don't make as much profit on them.

Comment

Working...
                        X