No announcement yet.

I-Glide battery charge, or Next, even Tailwind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep I'm the iglide application, so that battery you posted for $319.00 that one should work for me? If that battery is one I could use. What are the 2 leads? Could one be hooked to the chair plug and the other for charging?

Thanks for the info so far.

Comment

Tony, both of the batteries you posted should work. The motorcycle type battery is somewhat physically larger but does have the advantage of having a better case and is probably more waterproof. I like the idea of separate charge and discharge wires but it probable makes no difference.

10ah is more than enough. That is almost double the iglide battery and after many years it will keep that 10ah vs nimh fading after time. Iglide battery is probably closer to 4ah after a year of use. On 7/28/2019 my battery will be 6 years old and has not shown any signs of slowing down. I have gone through 3 chargers but never a battery issue.

One more thing, you will not be able to see your state of charge of the battery. Your Tailwind battery gauge will most likely show full charge until the last little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by TREA18 View Post
        Yep I'm the iglide application, so that battery you posted for $319.00 that one should work for me? If that battery is one I could use. What are the 2 leads? Could one be hooked to the chair plug and the other for charging?

Thanks for the info so far.
        The lower one it appears is the charger port. The other should be a black and red pair which would mate to the black and red 1 and 3 terminals on the battery case. My experience with LifeP04 chemistry batteries has all been positive. But they are bigger and heavier than Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC) which I prefer. It appears that this LifeP04 319 battery can be quick charged. So if I were to get it, I'd call them and check that out and purchase the appropriate charger.
        I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Most packs that are pre-made come with everything you need minus the charger.

Chargers can be found here. You will need one in the 24v section with an amp rating less than your max charge rating on your battery.
          https://www.batteryspace.com/smartch...terypacks.aspx

This is the charger I have and I like it but it is 6A and may be more than some batteries can handle.
          https://www.batteryspace.com/smartch...amiyaplug.aspx

All the chargers I have had have fans for cooling that fail over time. The one above has lasted several years.

Comment

Ok that makes sense about the gauge on the tailwind not being able to read these batteries.

Comment

maddog do you think I should charge everyday after using, no matter how hard/far I go? Or what is your charging routine? Also, when you say I need a charger less than the 10a or 15a in your case rating on these batteries. Is that what you mean?

Any thoughts on this battery?
              Last edited by TREA18; 07-01-2019, 09:20 PM.

Comment

I have looked at that battery and it may work but I would try to find something different. I don't know how much amps the iglide can consume at max power, I just know it is fused at 20A. That battery is rated at 20A for 5 seconds. It probably would work but I would hated for you to go up a big long hill and have the battery shut down from being worked too hard.

BLF-2410A Battery Specifications
                Voltage: 24V
                Capacity: 10Ah
                Case Type: PVC Pack
                Charge Connector: DC Barrel Plug
                Discharge Connector: Anderson Powerpole PP45
                Maximum Continuous Discharge Current: 10A (Make sure your load consumes less than 10A)
                Maximum Peak Discharge Current: 20A (5 sec.)
                Maximum Continuous Power: 240 Watts (24V x 10A = 240 Watts) (Make sure your load consumes less than 240 Watts)
                DimensionsL x W x H) 8.5 in. x 3.3 in. x 3.2 in. (214 mm x 83 mm x 82 mm)
                Weight: 5.3 lbs. (2.4 kg.)
                Includes built-in PCM (protection circuit module) which provides internal cell balancing and management, protection from overcurrent, undervoltage (overdischarge), overvoltage and short circuiting, and has integrated charging circuitry
                Available 110VAC/220 VAC Charger

Compatible AC-to-DC Charger Specifications
                Input Voltage: 110 VAC
                Output Voltage: 29.2VDC
                Current: 2A <----- Max charge rate
                Connector: DC Plug
                Model Number: BPC-2402DC

As for the charger each battery should list the max charge rate. For that battery max is 2A so 2A and below charger would work.

Comment

The battery place is telling me I probably need a high current discharge rate. Is there such thing as to high of a current discharge rate for these chairs and what is ideal?
                  Last edited by TREA18; 07-02-2019, 07:18 PM.

Comment

No such thing as too high a discharge rating, but you can go too low. You can't have too many cranking amps on your car battery but you can have too little. Anything over 20A is fine.

Comment

• Sounds good. That's what they were telling me for size.

Comment

• nonoise is the discharge current what you were talking about when you said some of those batteries aren't big enough?

Also, maddog the last battery you listed is that the specs on the one I posted or is that one you think will work?

Comment

• Originally posted by TREA18 View Post
                          nonoise is the discharge current what you were talking about when you said some of those batteries aren't big enough?

Also, maddog the last battery you listed is that the specs on the one I posted or is that one you think will work?
                          nonoise is the discharge current what you were talking about when you said some of those batteries aren't big enough?

Hi Trea, I am not sure what your question to me is but I am pretty positive the battery Maddog found specs for is the same as you posted. They have the same ref number of BLF-2410A. Yours is shown in the picture, I believe that is how he googled it. That being said, he notes 10Ah may not be enough to satisfy your needs which is all the BLF-2410A battery has.

Last night I removed enough of the wrapper my regular I-Glide battery, the one I use all the time in order to find out what it is made of. I discovered it has 35 Samsung 22P NMC cells. They are arranged in five parallel strings of seven cells each, normally written 7S5P just to confuse things. Keep reading. Knowing that, I now know the Ah of my battery pack, You see when I bought it I only knew it was a 10Amp 24Volt battery pack. But knowing what cells the pack is made of and their configuration I can now calculate the Ah. Each cell is a 2150 mAh. 7 in series is still 2150, but they add up to 29.2V fully charged. 5 of those strings in parallel add up to 5X2150=10,750mAh or 11Ah. Get more than that. Is my recommendation.
                          I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

• Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                            when I bought it I only knew it was a 10Amp 24Volt battery pack.
                            Do you get by with a 10A battery output? Does it feel low on power when going up steep hills?

It is the specs for the battery you posted. A capacity of 10ah should be plenty, 10A output may not be enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by maddog View Post
                              Do you get by with a 10A battery output? Does it feel low on power when going up steep hills?

It is the specs for the battery you posted. A capacity of 10ah should be plenty, 10A output may not be enough.
                              When I am traveling on our almost flat north - south street next to our house and then turn the corner to go up the 6% grade around the corner, I see no real difference in push effort. However I do know at another spot on the lawn it is even steeper, such that I must come to a stop and lean forward to avoid tipping back and getting hung up on the anti tips. I weigh 200 lbs and the chair is 50 so it takes some effort to get the chair moving fast enough to get the motors to engage, but then I.m good to go.

It is interesting that our Ah experiences differ. Could it be my brushes need replaced? I wouldn't think so since the chair does perform fine otherwise. One thing I did find is that I do need axle bearings, but then again I think those only come into play during freewheel, (motor off) operation.

Comment

• Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                                I discovered it has 35 Samsung 22P NMC cells. They are arranged in five parallel strings of seven cells each, normally written 7S5P just to confuse things.
                                Those individual Samsung cells have an output of 10A. Your battery should be 50A after 5P. I know parallel doubles capacity, does it not also double the capable amps? Does your battery have a pcm limiting the total output to 10A?

I see in an older post you stated you had a Watts Up meter, any chance you could connect it to your iglide battery and see what the highest amps the chair draws. Knowing the exact amps needed would help determine what batteries will work.

Comment

Working...
                                X