No announcement yet.

I-Glide battery charge, or Next, even Tailwind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a bad news story. Look back to my 10 amp battery pack in post 64 of this thread. I also have several supposedly 6.6 amp packs from the same source which are made up of 14 individual NCM lithium cells arranged in series and parallel. One of these packs was too weak to power my chair for any worthwhile time so I connected two of them together in parallel separated with a switch for when they are not in use. And I charge them individually. This works just fine when I've forgotten to keep the bigger battery up and need a backup battery. So each of those little cells is marked with the manufacturers name, what the cell is (size) and a date code. Yesterday I bumped into a site which unscrambles the date code. It turns out the cells in my 6.6 amp packs appear to be fake Samsung cells. https://batterybro.com/pages/18650-d...de-lookup-tool. This news eliminates for me any consideration in the future for Dakota batteries.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by TREA18 View Post
      Is maddog on here yet? I wonder if I could see the pictures and get some info from him? Also if you were in my situation (use the chair every day and don't have one battery that will last including 2 subc's I built this Spring) what would you be replacing with?
      Your new subc's should work. If you soldered the cells you might have damaged a few with too much heat. What I remember of Maddogs setup was that the cells looked to be mounted on the flat crossmember just below where the battery usually hangs. That is why my mental picture of it sees more than eight cells, but I can easily be wrong.

I'm curious, how far do you suspect you like to push in a day? My 10A Dakota doesn't burn out in a day, but I do not trust it to do something like going to the fairgrounds.
      I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

I'm not sure how far I push in a day, but I would like something that will get me around a fairgrounds or my kids ball tournaments consistently.

Comment

Lithium battery specs needed to run iglide wheelchair
          Lifepo4 for safety (new types that are also safe may be available I have not kept up with latest technology)
          24v may also be listed as 25.6v
          Produce at least 20A constant current
          Have amp hours of 6ah or above to about 15ah. Bigger the ah the farther you can go on a charge, weight and size also go up. 6ah equals stock Tailwind battery.

This is a company I have bought from in the past
          https://www.batteryspace.com/256vlif...terypacks.aspx
          Look for batteries with the right specs, a lot don't meet the 20A needs, also look for a pack with the best physical size to fit with your chair or old iglide battery case.

I looked for Headway batteries but can't find a US source.
          This would work but you would have to buy from China
          http://evcomponents.com/lifepo4-batt...tery-pack.html

Comment

Is this what you mean? I know it's only 10ah but I thought that might be ok?
            Powerizer LiFePO4 Battery: 24V 10Ah (240Wh, 20A rate) - Replace SLA 24V 10Ah with 4 times cycle life, lighter weight - UN 38.3 Passed

Last edited by TREA18; 06-28-2019, 12:36 PM.

Comment

That battery (in a pair) would be perfect for the ZX-1 if it was dimensionally different (it's 7.1Lx3"Wx6.5H. The ZX batteries are 4x4x6L. The 4" H & W are fixed limits by the tires interfering and the height of the frame; with MyGuyvering, the length (6.2") could be increased.)
              In parallel they would provide to 40A/20AH 480Wh

I will call them about what options they can provide.
              69yo male T12 complete since 1995
              NW NJ

Comment

Is this one a good possibilty? Even though it's ordered from the other site.

Headway LiFePO4 24V 10Ah battery pack

8 model 38120S 10Ah LiFePO4 cells in series with battery balance and protection mangement system). This battery pack is designed for normal users. It makes sure users can use it easily and safety.

Availability: In stock
                $169.00

Qty:
                Add to Cart

Be the first to review this product
                Email to a Friend

Comment

I don't know. What are the dimensions?
                  Sure is cheap enough!

where is this found?
                  NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
                    That battery (in a pair) would be perfect for the ZX-1 if it was dimensionally different (it's 7.1Lx3"Wx6.5H. The ZX batteries are 4x4x6L. The 4" H & W are fixed limits by the tires interfering and the height of the frame; with MyGuyvering, the length (6.2") could be increased.)
                    In parallel they would provide to 40A/20AH 480Wh

I will call them about what options they can provide.
                    Hi pfc, I am positive you want a pair of 15A batteries, not 10A batteries. When they say 20A rate it just means how fast the battery can deliver the electricity over time.

Comment

I don't know. What are the dimensions?
                      Sure is cheap enough!

where is this found?
                      Here is a 20A one: http://evcomponents.com/lifepo4-batt...tery-pack.html

Comment

So those are not a 20A batteries? If it states 20A it really only is 10A for our application?

Comment

nonoise The one you just posted should be more than plenty for my tailwind right? maddog mentioned that his 15ah battery worked more than a hard day for him but states 20A is needed? So you think the last battery with 20ah with 20a is the best route to go?

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                            Hi pfc, I am positive you want a pair of 15A batteries, not 10A batteries. When they say 20A rate it just means how fast the battery can deliver the electricity over time.
                            I interpret it as 20A rate=peak demand. So two in parallel provides 40A which is a good deal more than most of my observed demand peaks and less than the most I ever saw 38A which was quite momentary!

Remember, we're not comparing apples to apples. The 15Ah batteries are 12v in series while the anticipated LiFePO is parallel operation.
                            NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by TREA18 View Post
                              So those are not a 20A batteries? If it states 20A it really only is 10A for our application?
                              The one you posted says 10Amp hour. If the ad says 20 Amp rate, that just means the battery can deliver juice at least as fast as 20 amps.

Comment

I interpret it as 20A rate=peak demand. So two in parallel provides 40A which is a good deal more than most of my observed demand peaks and less than the most I ever saw 38A which was quite momentary!

Remember, we're not comparing apples to apples. The 15Ah batteries are 12v in series while the anticipated LiFePO is parallel operation.
                                I just edited out what I had posted. It seemed all confused. I thought we were talking about you buying two 24V 10 amp batteries and connecting them in parallel for a total of 20 Ah which is more than spec of 15. I don't remember Spinergy having a rate spec.
                                Last edited by nonoise; 06-28-2019, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X