No announcement yet.

I-Glide battery charge, or Next, even Tailwind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NoNoise, I appreciate the compliment but I don't think you should hold back on posting your LiI conversion. Function is always first and if it gets the job done as you intended then it is a success!
    I don't have the chair but I have another project in the works for him and I will get your fully charged voltage measurements the next time I can get my hands on it.
    Attached wires might be easier to work with if they are directly welded to the cell ends but I haven't seen any done this way either.
    It sounds like you have your chair set up very well for your use. This chair was one of the early units (Cannondale AL frame) and the frame was not sized for him (too short). The chair spends a lot of time on the wheelie bars due to this. This was sort of a test to see if he will try to transfer the drive tech onto another chair or order a new chair that is properly fitted.
    Steve

Comment

NoNoise, it took a while to get access to the chair again but I was finally able to get battery voltage readings. The chair has had limited use since the end of October 2017. I put the battery on the charger overnight and checked the voltage immediately after it was disconnected and got 27.95V from both pins. 8 hours later 27.82V, 24 hours later 27.62V 36 hours later 27.54V. All measurements were taken with the battery on the bench.
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by MarshSt View Post
        NoNoise, it took a while to get access to the chair again but I was finally able to get battery voltage readings. The chair has had limited use since the end of October 2017. I put the battery on the charger overnight and checked the voltage immediately after it was disconnected and got 27.95V from both pins. 8 hours later 27.82V, 24 hours later 27.62V 36 hours later 27.54V. All measurements were taken with the battery on the bench.
        Steve
        Thanks, but it is disappointing to read you are not getting theoretical maximum cell voltages which would add up to 32V. But it is what was expected since the charger says 28.8V. At 32V we could get longer battery life, if the I-glide was designed to handle it.
        I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Here are some pics of the battery upgrade to lithium:
          I used two I-glide battery cases because the off the shelf lithium battery pack I chose did not fit inside one case.
          Crap, they are in reverse order.
          Attached Files
          I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

I have an iGlide and a Tailwind. Is there someone able to rebuild the batteries for me? I have three iglide batteries and to Tailwind batteries. I would love to get them switched to lithium-ion. If so, I wouldn't need all the batteries. I'm considering selling the I Glide. I'm also interested in getting a set of emotion Wheels. Know anyone selling some?
            Last edited by Wheelz19; 04-07-2018, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Something like this should work well, the specs check out. It has bluetooth built in with a high peak amp output and already has a waterproof case.
              6.3lbs, anyone weigh a stock iglide battery?

http://e-onbatteries.com/index.php/2...t-battery.html

Comment

Wheelz19, did you sell your iglide? As I am finding the company has gone belly up, (Clinton River), I may start scavenging for parts, batteries, the whole cpu etc. And did you ever get batteries rebuilt?. I have gone through two of them in the last two years oddly and costing ~900 per from Clinton River.

Comment

I am also interested in building a new battery with different chemistry, but I want to go the safe and simple route. Any advice would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by TREA18 View Post
                    I am also interested in building a new battery with different chemistry, but I want to go the safe and simple route. Any advice would be great.
                    Are you asking about an I-Glide? If so what part of the above thread is not safe or simple? As for advice do not use the I-Glide charger when switching chemistries. If you buy a battery pack as I did just get the charger for the new pack and charge it using the connection on the pack, not the I-Glide connection.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                      Are you asking about an I-Glide? If so what part of the above thread is not safe or simple? As for advice do not use the I-Glide charger when switching chemistries. If you buy a battery pack as I did just get the charger for the new pack and charge it using the connection on the pack, not the I-Glide connection.
                      I actually have a Tailwind but I'm assuming everything is the same. Actually one of my best batteries yet is an iglide that I still use. I think I want to use the Dakota Lithium mentioned earlier and set it up like yours with a new charger as well. Do you think that's a good option?

Comment

Hi Trea, First thing is that the 6.6A Dakota linked above is not the one I bought for the I-Glide. The url has changed since I linked it. My battery as I noted was to the left in the photo at 10amps and physically larger.
                        That said I have some questions in my own mind about your project. It sounds like you plan to use and maybe have been using an I-Glide battery in the Tailwind. If that works fine. But what I don't know is if a hacked I-Glide battery would also work.

I suppose you could test with an old working nimh battery first by charging it and quickly cutting all but the two power wires. Anyway since you know how to do this, I am not happy enough with the 10A Dakota battery pack. Looking at the ZX1 thread we learned Spinergy specified 15Ah for their lithium battery pack. Ah and A are not the same thing. If I explain this correctly A just explains how big a nozzle you have to deliver the juice, while Ah describes how big the gas tank is. There is another descriptor for the size of the gas line which I think is C rate. I may have those all wrong, but based on the ZX1 we need at least 15 Ah and that is determined by the individual cell makeup of the battery pack. The only way I know to build a good battery is do it yourself from known quality high mah milliamphour cells in series and parallel.

Comment

Thanks for the info nonoise. Do you think @maddog Eight 3.2v Lifepo4 headway batteries would be a good route to go given the 2 wires will do what I need? I know absolutely nothing about those batteries, so any input on how to do them would be great? He mentioned them in the 3rd or 4th post in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by TREA18 View Post
                            Thanks for the info nonoise. Do you think @maddog Eight 3.2v Lifepo4 headway batteries would be a good route to go given the 2 wires will do what I need? I know absolutely nothing about those batteries, so any input on how to do them would be great? He mentioned them in the 3rd or 4th post in this thread.

I only know that when Maddog got the cells they preformed excellently for him. Time changes things. edit: they may not be selling the same quality cells today.
                            Maddog had a photo of his Headway setup, it looked like more than eight cells if I remember correctly. Eight would only be one series string, two series in parallel would be better. From the Headway site, eight 15Ah cells run $184, but you have to add to that the connectors, holders and BMS. Note that they also sell completed 24V battery packs for reasonable prices, one of which is 8s2p (8series2parallel). Physical size gets to be an issue.
                            Last edited by nonoise; 06-27-2019, 03:19 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Is maddog on here yet? I wonder if I could see the pictures and get some info from him? Also if you were in my situation (use the chair every day and don't have one battery that will last including 2 subc's I built this Spring) what would you be replacing with?

Comment

Is maddog on here yet? I was wondering if I could see those pictures or get some information from him as well? If you were in my situation (ie. Use the chair all the time, and don't have a battery to make it through the day including 2 subc's I built this spring) what would you build? :-) . There has to be something better than what I have now. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X