No announcement yet.

I-Glide battery charge, or Next, even Tailwind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worked on this most of the weekend and got everything working. Took me forever but I got the lights working. I have not used it much so I don't know how well the lights will correspond to the actual state of charge. The lights work by counting amps in and amps out to keep track of how much capacity is left. The CRM Tailwind battery, which is what I used, is listed as 8.4ah. I built a 9ah pack so the capacity is very close and the lights should match closely to before the upgrade. For the last 6 months I have used a 17.5ah battery and I suspect the lights would show a dead battery with 50% capacity still remaining.

The battery turned out really nice. The Clinton River battery stickers come off easy with a heat gun and can be reused.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201108_222155680.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	2904219

Name:	PXL_20201108_222221686.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	2904220

Name:	PXL_20201108_231000067.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	2904221

Comment

Perfect box and stickers, that is one sweet battery Maddog. In order to get it to show four lights are you charging it with the lithium charger?

I ask because the lithium charger cuts out at 29.2 while the nimh charger cuts out at something lower, 28.8 I think. So the nimh charger will not fully charge the lithium battery, which might be what you are talking about comparing amps in and amps out.
      I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

I am charging with the lithium charger. I could not get the lights to go up with the charge because you need to charge through the iglide circuit board. When you disconnect the old nimh batteries from the circuit board the lights reset to completely dead even if you install a fully charged battery. I installed my lithium pack with about 35% charge, the battery box showed a red flashing light when the handle was pulled. I then charged the battery to 100%, putting about 6ah into it. The case now only shows 3 lights because it needs 8.4ah in to think it is fully charged. When the battery gets fully drained and then fully charged the lights should then be in sync.

I like having a charge port on the back of the battery so I can charge the battery without removing it from the chair. The charge port needs to be connected between the main battery plug and the circuit board located at points 1 and 2 in the picture below. I was connecting it to the main battery wires 3 and 4, this kept the battery lights from going up when charging.
        A much simpler solution is to cut the plug off of the iglide charger and add a connector that matches your lithium charger. This keeps you from having to add any charge port. I had 2 iglide chargers so I did not worry about destroying one.

Name:	PXL_20201108_213424540t.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	2904244

Name:	PXL_20201108_205010245.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	2904245

Comment

What's next? You seem to have solved all the issues upgrading to lithium. It's too bad CR failed at doing so.

My quick and easy direct connection bypassing the printed circuit board works just fine for me as a fully charged 10ah battery lasts plenty long enough. When it does fail my wife grabs the little backup one and I get going again. Those too were thanks to your pioneering. Thanks for posting.
          I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Bypassing the pcb is probably the best solution if you don't have the latest tailwind with the battery gauge on the chair. 10ah is enough to get through just about any day, I wish the chair had come with a larger battery from the factory. Battery life was always this chair shortcomings. I remember having range anxiety wondering if the battery was going to die and leave me stranded at the end of the day. It really frees things up when you no longer have to worry about that anymore.
            These chairs are so reliable I bet there are many chairs out there that still work fine if not for dead batteries that can't be bought anymore. Since 2003 I have worn out 2 iglides and have been using my current iglide for 5 years. I have a new tailwind sitting in the closet that I will use when this iglide dies. I am set for years to come. The battery cases tend to lose connection over time as the pins wear out from constantly removing the battery to charge. This is why I added a charge port to the back of the battery, it rarely gets removed from my chair.

Comment

Working...
            X