No announcement yet.

Need Recomendation for handcycles | Widest range of riders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might want to contact the folks at BORP.org as they have had an active rental program for years.
    I have a Lasher ATH non suspension that I like a lot.
    Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Stsmark View Post
      You might want to contact the folks at BORP.org as they have had an active rental program for years.
      I have a Lasher ATH non suspension that I like a lot.
      Mark
      Great suggestion. Try contacting Greg Milano at BORP. I wouldn't be surprised if he seconds John's recommendation of the Force 3. You should also put some thought into how you'll get people from their chairs into the bikes and back again. BORP has a very creative approach using three standard steel-legged office chairs (with leather-ish seat and back). One chair is at the standard height, one has its legs cut by 3-4 inches, and the other is about 3-4 lower than that. Three levels so people can transfer themselves from the bike back into the chair with (hopefully) minimal help from the attendant (other than switching chairs around). The other approach is to purchase a bath lift. The one in the link isn't industrial strength, but would probably work if you have an occasional rider that needs help. Good luck.

Comment

I just did a Quad Elite force 3 for him. they have a well rounded fleet.
        Originally posted by HockeyFan View Post
        Great suggestion. Try contacting Greg Milano at BORP. I wouldn't be surprised if he seconds John's recommendation of the Force 3. You should also put some thought into how you'll get people from their chairs into the bikes and back again. BORP has a very creative approach using three standard steel-legged office chairs (with leather-ish seat and back). One chair is at the standard height, one has its legs cut by 3-4 inches, and the other is about 3-4 lower than that. Three levels so people can transfer themselves from the bike back into the chair with (hopefully) minimal help from the attendant (other than switching chairs around). The other approach is to purchase a bath lift. The one in the link isn't industrial strength, but would probably work if you have an occasional rider that needs help. Good luck.
        Bike-on.com rep
        John@bike-on.com
        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
        sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
          I don't recommend a high bike for rental purposes, they can roll easy in unfamiliar hands. may be a liability issue. DJ, I have over 500 miles on my stricker already, love this thing. something else surprising i found, with the assist my cadence stays much higher which in turn keeps my heartrate higher and I burn more calories as compared to my race handcycle. yes, a better workout with power assist.
          I don't see this as being a very significant issue. People who are AB could easily fall off a rented bicycle if they don't know what they're doing. I doubt anyone renting a high handcycle is any more likely to take a dive than an AB on a bicycle, and if they do so they are falling from a lower height than the AB.

That being said, I think you want both a high handcycle and a low one. Personally I'd never rent the high one because I could probably generate nearly as much speed on my wheelchair.

Comment

Originally posted by funklab View Post
            I don't see this as being a very significant issue. People who are AB could easily fall off a rented bicycle if they don't know what they're doing. I doubt anyone renting a high handcycle is any more likely to take a dive than an AB on a bicycle, and if they do so they are falling from a lower height than the AB.

That being said, I think you want both a high handcycle and a low one. Personally I'd never rent the high one because I could probably generate nearly as much speed on my wheelchair.
            If you could generate the same amount of speed in your wheelchair for any distance you are a beast. Do not under estimate what gears can do. Even if you only have 7 or 8. Depending on your fitness you can get an upright to 15 miles an hour. Plus you could take the upright in a lot of places where as you cannot take the recumbents in hardly anywhere. I have experience on both....

Comment

First thanks to everyone for all the info, now I have something to chew on.

I am familiar with Lasher sport somewhat, I ran into them at a trade show in Vegas. I’ll have to talk to him again they look like high quality bikes but the price is a little tricky for me on that line.

i would love to at least bring in 2, due to space I’m not sure I’m going to have much luck with more than that unless i figure out some tricky storage technique.

it sounds like it would make sense to bring in something like 1 upright and 1 recumbent. on the uprights, how tip prone are they? more than a classic tricycle? we have regular tricycles and they can tip trying to make unreasonably tight turns.

or maybe 1 recumbent and an attachment, are the handcycle attachments tricky to setup in general or is the striker worse than others? I could see long setup times being an issue.

Would also appreciate it if anyone who is familiar with the beach wheelchairs like the Lasher one, but not quite so pricy, could weigh in on brands for me to look at.

Thanks again!
              Rob

Comment

Thank you Rob for thinking of us. My guess is that you are close to the congested beach "boardwalk" that I tried to show in a post earlier, and/or these bikes would be used on the narrow paved beach trails.

What you need to know is what the turning radius is of any bike you get is to see if it will be usable. Try before you buy.

Classic trikes generally have a higher center of gravity, and a shorter wheelbase, so they should have a greater tendency for tipping than an upright handcycle, that's my take.
                I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

As someone with cerebral palsy I need a upright is needed as I'm too spastic for anything else

Comment

see reply in red in quote
                    Originally posted by RobH View Post
                    First thanks to everyone for all the info, now I have something to chew on.

I am familiar with Lasher sport somewhat, I ran into them at a trade show in Vegas. I’ll have to talk to him again they look like high quality bikes but the price is a little tricky for me on that line.

i would love to at least bring in 2, due to space I’m not sure I’m going to have much luck with more than that unless i figure out some tricky storage technique.

it sounds like it would make sense to bring in something like 1 upright and 1 recumbent. on the uprights, how tip prone are they? more than a classic tricycle? we have regular tricycles and they can tip trying to make unreasonably tight turns.

I have an upright as well as an attachment and a recumbent. Only tipped over twice at a high rate of speed and going around a curve. The uprights back wheels are cambered out like a wheelchair and that makes it less prone to tip than say a standard tricycle

or maybe 1 recumbent and an attachment, are the handcycle attachments tricky to setup in general or is the striker worse than others? I could see long setup times being an issue.

I will defer to John on this because I have only set up my attachment to my chair and it took a few tries so on second thought it might not be a great idea

Would also appreciate it if anyone who is familiar with the beach wheelchairs like the Lasher one, but not quite so pricy, could weigh in on brands for me to look at.

Thanks again!
                    Rob

Comment

Hello again everyone,
                      Finally got access to an upright handcycle from one of our new vendors and the price is actually resonable for us so im hopping that someone here has had experiance with it. i am looking at the Sun HT-3.
                      unfortunalty they only carry an upright but its a start.

-Rob

Comment

Check out a Freedom Ryder FHR-1 too, nice bike. Compare that to the force 3. Force 3 is less $$$ but in my opinion the Freedom Ryder is better built and I feel more comfortable.
                        "Life is about how you
                        respond to not only the
                        challenges you're dealt but
                        the challenges you seek...If
                        you have no goals, no
                        mountains to climb, your
                        soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

If this is only going to be used on a flat surface it "might" be okay. I really do not know why anyone would make an handcycle with three speeds I am not sure. To me the least it should have is 8. If you could pick up a used one like this one would be great but a lot of times people do not want to ship but if I were you I would monitor ebay daily. If you service bikes you can do anything a handcycle needs and the one I linked to is old but I bet it would still serve you well if they were willing to ship. A lot of times these used ones are just old and not much used. Check and see if they have an 8 speed model...

Originally posted by RobH View Post
                          Hello again everyone,
                          Finally got access to an upright handcycle from one of our new vendors and the price is actually resonable for us so im hopping that someone here has had experiance with it. i am looking at the Sun HT-3.
                          unfortunalty they only carry an upright but its a start.

-Rob

Comment

Working...
                          X