Problem free leg bag suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem free leg bag suggestions?

Anyone found a leg bag that actually works like it should all the time, without the valve backing up and not letting anything into the bag? I'm tired of having to mess with mine every time to get it to flow right, and I don't want to have to blow in it, etc., I just want it to work. Please let me know which ones have worked well for you. Thanks

Indwelling catheter or external condom catheter?

Have you tried a Hollister vented leg bag?

http://www.hollister.com/en/products...mbination-Pack

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
      Indwelling catheter or external condom catheter?

Have you tried a Hollister vented leg bag?

http://www.hollister.com/en/products...mbination-Pack

(KLD)
      Sorry, it's an external condom catheter. I'll check that out, thanks.

Comment

You can safely remove the back-flow prevention valve from either a Urocare or Alpine (latex) leg bag if that helps. Don't recommend doing this with an indwelling catheter.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Hollister 9805 has been working well for me for many years now.

Comment

I'm Bard 32 oz. flip-flo for 38 plus years, ref#150732.
            I don't like the Bard external caths and switched to Rochester silicon externals years back. This combo works well for me
            Last edited by ChesBay; 28 Mar 2017, 3:55 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Bard bought out Rochester, so you may soon find that you need to go with Bard externals.

(KLD)

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                Bard bought out Rochester, so you may soon find that you need to go with Bard externals.

(KLD)
                I wasn't aware thanks for the heads up.

Comment

I use Hollister as well and like their leg bag product but they do need to be replaced (often) . . . I have had lots of leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by brad09 View Post
                    and i don't want to have to blow in it, etc.,
                    lol
                    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Comment

Originally posted by ChesBay View Post
                      I wasn't aware thanks for the heads up.
                      The Bard Spirit Model is their Rochester style offering. I tried it and have switched from Rochester to the Spirit. Because of the hydrocolloidal properties, it stays on even better and is presumably better for the skin. Otherwise, it is pretty similar to the Rochester Wideband. They have free samples, so, you might want to give it a try. Because the Spirit line is relatively new, Shield has to special order it whenever I do my reorders. Not really a problem, though.

(Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread).
                      C-6/7 incomplete

Comment

Originally posted by Mac85 View Post
                        lol
                        It may be funny, but I blow in mine every night after switching to the night bag. Otherwise there is a small amount of urine in the extension tubing that will spill out. Likewise, if I don't have a valve, urine would spill out. Blowing is not such a terrible thing.
                        C-6/7 incomplete

Comment

Originally posted by hugheswf View Post
                          I use Hollister as well and like their leg bag product but they do need to be replaced (often) . . . I have had lots of leaks.
                          I had a few batches that developed a leak, in the same spot a couple times. There's a thread about this. Now I just buy a half dozen at a time instead of a box of 10. I usually get at least a month out of a bag, which get washed out daily with a 10% bleach solution. The flip valve really works well for me with my impaired hand function, that's the main reason I use them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kulea View Post
                            It may be funny, but I blow in mine every night after switching to the night bag. Otherwise there is a small amount of urine in the extension tubing that will spill out. Likewise, if I don't have a valve, urine would spill out. Blowing is not such a terrible thing.
                            It's the way you said it - that made me laugh
                            C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Comment

Originally posted by Mac85 View Post
                              lol
                              After cleaning it, if I blow some air into the bag it helps clear out the valve. Obviously I don't touch anything when doing this.

edit: didn't see previous post that addressed this.

Comment

Working...
                              X