Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with hand controls

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Help with hand controls

    I currently have some trouble finding a place to do the driving license and would like to know a price of hand controls i can't find any info or idea and it would help alot.

    Im talking about electric hand controls that are on the steering wheel for gas and brake but ive heard its really expensive but I want to know how expensive.


    If someone could help or call some place in US i would really appreciate it. thanks alot

    #2
    Years ago when I first started driving I consider these but I was quoted almost 14k for them and decided to go with the traditional push rock controls and glade I went that way instead

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by MasterTenerife View Post
      I currently have some trouble finding a place to do the driving license and would like to know a price of hand controls i can't find any info or idea and it would help alot.

      Im talking about electric hand controls that are on the steering wheel for gas and brake but ive heard its really expensive but I want to know how expensive.


      If someone could help or call some place in US i would really appreciate it. thanks alot
      Why not just fill out the online form for a quote? You can tell them your disability and what you are looking for exactly.

      http://kempf-usa.com/Handcontrols_quotation.html

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Jeramie630 View Post
        Years ago when I first started driving I consider these but I was quoted almost 14k for them and decided to go with the traditional push rock controls and glade I went that way instead
        Jesus christ 14k that's what the car costs

        Comment


          #5
          I've never heard of any hand control that are electronic for braking.

          Comment


            #6
            Probably the reason you cannot find a lot of info is that these now have to be installed by a mobility company. Mine came with them when I bought my van off Craig's list. So I just taught myself how to drive again. Really was pretty easy.

            Comment


              #7
              Why do you need this type of hand control (Kempf DARIOS) rather than a push-pull system (which is significantly cheaper)?

              (KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Rustyjames View Post
                I've never heard of any hand control that are electronic for braking.
                The one he has pictured is a push brake too.

                Looking at their website, electronic ring for gas and push brake....no electric brake.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                  Why do you need this type of hand control (Kempf DARIOS) rather than a push-pull system (which is significantly cheaper)?

                  (KLD)
                  I don't "need" it, but the normal push pull controls seem so alien for me and don't look comfortable at all.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    But you can get push-pull controls for less than $500, install them yourself, and be able to drive. We'd all love to drive a Rolls Royce, but a Honda gets you to the same place for a lot less money!

                    (KLD)
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by MasterTenerife View Post
                      I don't "need" it, but the normal push pull controls seem so alien for me and don't look comfortable at all.
                      Besides "push/pull" there are twist throttle and lever style for the gas handle part. Either way you are still using a push brake....so $500 and can be installed/removed yourself or 14k for an accelerator ring!

                      With the accelerator on the steering wheel you eliminate the steering knob...might wan to try and see how that works for you first. I know I don't use my steering knob when driving on the open road but when it comes to parking/parking lots, I wouldn't want to be without it.

                      I wouldn't decide on hand controls by the look factor but by the purpose factor.

                      Btw, the exact location your hand will be in to operate the brake (for the hand controls you want - Digital Accelerator Ring DARIOS and the Main Hand Brake) is the exact location most hand control levers for gas/brake are. So either way one hand will be there the vast majority of the time you are driving. The difference is with the DARIOS you have no knob to steer with when needed.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by MasterTenerife View Post
                        Jesus christ 14k that's what the car costs
                        Jesus doesn't care, why bring him into this?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Would sure help if you mentioned you were from Spain, too!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I'm not sure I'd want the gas on the steering wheel. Might be good for going straight, maybe (I usually go straight with a thumb steering and a finger or two on the same hand on the gas with a push brake/right angle downwards for gas control). Turning would be a mess I'd think with the gas on the wheel, how exactly would you modulate that?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Alright ive been digging some more into this, and the DARIOS Accelerator with manual break costs 5000euros in France, so that's better than 14k not cheap tho but just better.

                              And turns out there's actually a place on this island that supposedly has Guidosimplex usa stuff, so im surprised about that. I was already worried that I would have to ship a vehicle to France and that sounds like a nightmare.

                              currently waiting on the place on the island to finish of their siesta, not even joking, and hopefully i can get some price.

                              Im still in trouble as I've been told that there isn't a single driving school with an adapted vehicle on the whole island (Tenerife, canary islands) , can you even believe that!? So im kinda stuck on that department

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X