No announcement yet.

MK Battery issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am on my second set of mk . The first set lasted around 6 years with no problem. I just got a new pair and they don't hold a charge as good already. I use my chair when working around the yard mowing grass and hauling firewood so I really abuse them and a charge usually lasts a day

Comment

I believe East Penn makes MK batteries and they sell them under a different brand. Maybe East Penn. Seen them at battery wholesale. No cheaper than the MK. My DME says they been having a lot of problems with MK batteries not lasting a year. I told him they have a 1 year warranty he says 6 months. I been threw him with this before group 24 The last time I looked 24 were a year. Something is up with the quality some were. Maybe a different vendor, china made, bad materials. Who knows but the Quality is not there. On my new m300 can tell the power is not there like it should be and the bars drop faster. Bought a set for my Invacare about 6 months ago before I got my new chair and there fine. Usually I get from 2 to 3 years without any problems and that's 12 hours a day and the I never turn my chair off on the Invacare. I can tell my new m300 chair with group 24 after about 2 hours don't have the punch and the bar is down one to two bars on the permobil. My invacare with the 6 month batteries never dropped 1 bar. When they do they drop like a rock in no time. But that's on 2 or more year old batteries. Really the battery bar is different on different chairs but you can tell when the battery does not have the punch. And the new MK don't have that punch no more.

Just remembered that was a Deka battery made by East Penn as I believe all deka batteries are made by East Penn. Last I new east penn was made in the USA
      Last edited by Art454; 18 Mar 2017, 3:17 AM.
      Art

Comment

It's unfortunate that with such a great chair as the F3, that the batteries have been an issue. I'm afraid to go anywhere because of the sudden battery dump. For the first several months I did not have an issue, then all of a sudden...

Comment

Originally posted by Rustyjames View Post
          That's actually a decent price, a pair over here are going for about $500.00.
          That makes me feel better over here in the UK we're usually royally screwed when it comes to medical equipment!

The gel batteries would have been about $130 US more.

Comment

Originally posted by landrover View Post
            I am with my new F3. The 34's drain almost within minutes
            That was m reason for asking...I have gone through 3 sets of MKs since Dec and charge lights start dropping after just 2-4 miles.

When I got my F3 I could do 17 plus miles and still have green, now I am getting 1/2 on 24s so 34 users would get even less.

Tried different chargers no change. Have 3 of 4 other people having same issues so its looking like a MK issue vs Permobil.

Any way to reset your joystick miles to zero, charge your chair 12 hours then take a picture after each green light goes out?

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
              I think "Roll Positive" posted this because of comments made on this thread: https://www.carecure.net/forum/showt...orpus-G3/page5
              See Posts 220, 231, 241, 248.
              I thought you said you didnt know a Steve B? Steve Balt....???

Comment

FYI Not all DME's understand Permobil chairs support 34s and 24s but the 24s have to be flattops vs standard post.

Comment

Originally posted by RollPositive View Post
                  These kinds of questions and discussions should be done by Private Message.
                  Last edited by gjnl; 18 Mar 2017, 7:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RollPositive View Post
                    Don't know how this double posted.

Sent Private Message.
                    Last edited by gjnl; 18 Mar 2017, 7:36 PM.

Comment

I've been using MK group 24s for over a decade, always been very happy with them. The last pair I got does perhaps not hold a charge as long. HOWEVER I have not had these batteries for very long, and sometimes there is a break-in period of a few months. So, I'm not sure much can be inferred from my experience.

Comment

Just to follow up on my previous post: the break-in period is completed and my MK group 24s seems too work fine now, same as ever. So I have not noticed any quality change.

Comment

xsfxsf: Do you have a chair with an odometer? If so any idea what your getting miles wise on a charge? What type of chair are you using?

Comment

So I'm currently dealing with battery issues with my F3 and Group 34 batteries. I asked my DME (Numotion) to upgrade to 24's, given my usage. They (Numotion) told me that because I had an ez-lock bracket, the 24's would not fit (they told me they confirmed this with Permobil). In this thread or another, from an EZ-lock rep this was said to be inaccurate. I personally followed up with Permobil, and they also said there should be no issue. I'm ready to order the 24s mysel, and be done with it. The Permobil tech said they use the 24s with a female something or other. Can anyone direct me to this type online?

Also, Numotion told me I would have to be out of the chair for the batteries to be replaced, but Permobil tells me it can be done with me in the chair.

Comment

So I'm currently dealing with battery issues with my F3 and Group 34 batteries. I asked my DME (Numotion) to upgrade to 24's, given my usage. They (Numotion) told me that because I had an ez-lock bracket, the 24's would not fit (they told me they confirmed this with Permobil). In this thread or another, from an EZ-lock rep this was said to be inaccurate. I personally followed up with Permobil, and they also said there should be no issue. I'm ready to order the 24s mysel, and be done with it. The Permobil tech said they use the 24s with a female something or other. Can anyone direct me to this type online?

Also, Numotion told me I would have to be out of the chair for the batteries to be replaced, but Permobil tells me it can be done with me in the chair.

Comment

I can't speak with authority on this, but I can tell you that my durable medical equipment supplier tech told me the Group 24 batteries used in the Permobil m300 are referred to as "Flat Top." I know you have an F3, but the battery type may be the same. Permobil should be able to tell you the exact MK Battery, by number, that you need for your chair.

Some durable medical equipment suppliers have a policy, they claim is driven by insurance liability, that requires that you are out of the chair for repairs. Once, I encountered a company that would not even allow me into their shop area, instead requiring that I transfer out of the chair in the waiting room. The repair needed wasn't urgent, so I left and went somewhere else. I understand, we don't always have a choice. All that said, the batteries can be changed while you remain in your chair.

Comment

Working...
                                X