Hoyer-Manual vs Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoyer-Manual vs Power

For those of you that have a Hoyer, is it manual or powered? My father is getting ready to be discharged from rehab, and I would like to get him a powered Hoyer. I am being told this may not be possible because of insurance. Does anyone have any experience with getting a power hoyer from insurance? My mother will be his caregiver (she's 64). I am just concerned a manual hoyer may be too much work for her day in and day out. Thank you!

Definitely get a power lift, even if you have to privately pay. Studies have shown unsafe musculoskeletal stressors for manual lifts which must be cranked or pumped for the caregiver. Keep in mind as well that Hoyer is a brand name. There are many different brands and models. Often you can find used on eBay or Craig's list.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Absolutely, your parents need a powered lift. Prices for a basic one for cash won't be a lot higher than their copay for a manual in the DME world. Check sites like SpinLife, PHC, etc. Or they can get the reimbursement toward a manual and apply it to the power lift. All that is if they (you) can't find one used. A lot of people don't know what to do with that stuff so you could also put a wanted posting on CL.

Comment

one more point for power...it's more reliable. In the five years we used manual hoyers, the cylinders leaked no matter what we did. It's amazing how much staining a tiny bit of oil can cause.

I've had a power Hoyer for 15 years without repair except for battery replacement.

Comment

I use a power hoyer for trips. Works great!

Comment

my private ins covered a molift, just fyi
            Bike-on.com rep
            John@bike-on.com
            c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
            sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Working...
            X