Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

manual chair : brake options, what do you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried the ADI brakes a few years back and it seems they were trying different designs at the time, I am not sure if they are the same today. I did not like them with my LX wheels as my chair rocked a lot with the brakes engaged, I am told due to flex in the LX wheel set. The ones I had also were a struggle to have no drag yet keep them to lock tight.

I have been happy with my "Out-front" push to lock brakes I have been using for a few years now. I broke a spring on one brake on my previous chair; I probably engage/disengage my brakes a thousand times a day.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
      Not feeling well at all today but lemme wrangle up what I can and see if you're interested ... I'm missing a major spring like bolt thing a ma jig though, lol. Working on my chair always ended up with me whipping a wrench across the room.

I'll try to have it up tomorrow. Yours if you want it to try before you buy.
      You need the T-shirt: What I lack in ability, I make up in swearing.

Comment

I ended up replacing my composites as I needed something asap..
        Best price I found
        was $110 for a pair .. free shipping from. DMEHUB.net

http://www.dmehub.net/Compact-Compos...p/otf-cswl.htm

Comment

I had nothing but trouble with D's locks. It is not infrequent that the cables snap if they are exposed to the dirt and little bit of sand that is unavoidable if you ever take your chair outside in the rural setting where I live. I had a cable snap once after I had got out of my car to open a gate. This meant that the wheel on one side was locked on and could not be released by using the rake lever; I was 15 metres from my car, sitting in a heavy rainstorm, not long before midnight in the middle of nowhere, only able to push my chair round in circles on the spot. I had to get off my chair on to the wet ground, sitting half in a puddle, and pull the wheel off just enough to release the lock pin before getting back on the chair and pushing back to my car.
          I also like being able to lock each wheel separately as it is not uncommon for me to want to lock one side and then turn the chair to a precise angle before locking the other side. You can't do this with D's locks. I don't like that frequently with D's you have to rock the chair back and forth to get the locks to release.
          I much prefer under seat scissor brakes.

Comment

That couldn't be different from my experience with D's Locks. I live a literal stone's throw from the confluence of the Atlantic Ocean and the Chesapeake Bay, at Cape Henry, a block off the beach. Both my everyday and my off road chairs have D's Locks; the former is 8 years old, the later is 6 years old. With all the sand, humidity, and salty air around here I have only broke one cable. But, I don't like that they lock when the cable breaks, either. It's easy enough for me to reach under and unscrew the piston cap enough to release them, but it's definitely a pain.
            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

I like the old fashioned (not composite) scissor brakes that come with the Invacare Crossfire chairs as an option. I have had the springs fail, but rarely and the brakes still work with a broken spring. I like these because you can adjust them to lock extremely tight. My brakes compress my Schwalbe Marathon tires to the point that my wife cannot get my brakes off or on. I like them this way because I am 72 and my transfers are dicey and I don't want my chair to move at all while transferring. Also, in winter I am too impatient to wait for my snowplow guy and I shovel a path to my mailbox uphill. With average adjustment on brakes I slide backward as I push on shovel. These are an old design, cheaper brakes but I prefer them. Would never buy brakes that stay locked if a cable broke- too high a price to pay for "disability cool".

Comment

Originally posted by ancientgimp View Post
                I like the old fashioned (not composite) scissor brakes that come with the Invacare Crossfire chairs as an option. I have had the springs fail, but rarely and the brakes still work with a broken spring. I like these because you can adjust them to lock extremely tight. My brakes compress my Schwalbe Marathon tires to the point that my wife cannot get my brakes off or on. I like them this way because I am 72 and my transfers are dicey and I don't want my chair to move at all while transferring. Also, in winter I am too impatient to wait for my snowplow guy and I shovel a path to my mailbox uphill. With average adjustment on brakes I slide backward as I push on shovel. These are an old design, cheaper brakes but I prefer them. Would never buy brakes that stay locked if a cable broke- too high a price to pay for "disability cool".
                There is a release on the piston, they don't stay locked, but you do have to reach under and release them. IMO They are a better mouse trap, not 'cool'. E.g., they physically CAN'T slip, yet can be activated with a single finger, and aren't dependent on tire pressure or adjusting so hard that someone with limited hand function can't operate them. 100% zero slipping chance makes them a safer option, too.
                "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

I went through 3-4 sets of composite locks over a four year span before getting D's. Never going back.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
                    There is a release on the piston, they don't stay locked, but you do have to reach under and release them. IMO They are a better mouse trap, not 'cool'. E.g., they physically CAN'T slip, yet can be activated with a single finger, and aren't dependent on tire pressure or adjusting so hard that someone with limited hand function can't operate them. 100% zero slipping chance makes them a safer option, too.
                    agree 100%, they are a game changer. simple to use. I haven't broken any cables over the years. knock on wood.
                    Bike-on.com rep
                    John@bike-on.com
                    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Do you have a picture of the brakes you're using ?

Have tried searching the invacare site with no great success.

Originally posted by ancientgimp View Post

Comment

Originally posted by NW-Will View Post
                        Do you have a picture of the brakes you're using ?

Have tried searching the invacare site with no great success.
                        Sorry, NW Will - my computer skills don't allow me to post pics. Try looking at the wheelchair parts section of Sportaid or perhaps a more skilled member can post a pic

Comment

ancientgimp, are these the locks you use?
                          Attached Files
                          Chas
                          TiLite TR3
                          Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
                          I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                          <
                          UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
                            Right, those are the locks I use, thanks

Comment

Love my ADI brakes.

Comment

Thank you.

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post

Comment

Working...
                                X