No announcement yet.

Full size van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

agreed, I hear good things about them too.
    Originally posted by Rustyjames View Post
    I was referring to the Econolines up to 2014. I'm not really into the looks of the Transit, maybe it'll grow on me. But from what I've read, the ride and handling qualities of the Transit is superior to the older vans.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Thx ! Very nice setup.

Comment

I drove a Ford e150 for 25 years and a Honda Odyssey for the last 5. I have not been impressed minivan durability. They are pussy vehicles. Finicky, complicated, delicate, and prone to a myriad of electronic problems.

If I had the space I would've loved to have Ford for backup, though I cannot use my power chair in it. It had one of the old Braun Rotary lifts, which due to the parallel entry, allowed you to get into the tightest of spaces. All that was needed was 5 foot, not 8 to 10 feet as needed for perpendicular entry.

That Rotary lift 25 years old and was in as good a shape as the day I got it, only having had one or two minor electrical issues over the years. Forklift technology, strong, simple. The new stuff is too complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by crags View Post
          I drove a Ford e150 for 25 years and a Honda Odyssey for the last 5. I have not been impressed minivan durability. They are pussy vehicles. Finicky, complicated, delicate, and prone to a myriad of electronic problems.

If I had the space I would've loved to have Ford for backup, though I cannot use my power chair in it. It had one of the old Braun Rotary lifts, which due to the parallel entry, allowed you to get into the tightest of spaces. All that was needed was 5 foot, not 8 to 10 feet as needed for perpendicular entry.

That Rotary lift 25 years old and was in as good a shape as the day I got it, only having had one or two minor electrical issues over the years. Forklift technology, strong, simple. The new stuff is too complicated.
          Likewise Crags. My E150 was a tank and took it more places hunting some guys would a pickup. As much junk as I carry, there's no way a mini would work for me, unless it was simply a 2nd vehicle only used for trips. I had an old Crow River swing away rotary lift too and it was convenient as hell.
          "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Do the old Fords need the floor lowered? Minis have issues because they were never designed for the extensive modifications wheelchair users require.
            "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
            T5/6 complete

Comment

The floors only need to lowered if you're going to drive from the wheelchair, as opposed to transferring into an adjustable seat, 6 way, if you will.

Comment

Originally posted by crags View Post

The mobility industry loves the minivan because they are more profitable first to sell, then to repair. They hated the rotary lift for the same reason, cheaper for the consumer to buy, fewer repairs. As a result, lobbyists for the mobility industry discovered the rotary was "dangerous" and they were outlawed.

Comment

Agreed, and I'll say it forever, those rotary lifts, especially the Braun Swing Away can't be topped. They probably wish they never introduced it!

Comment

I really like my Braun UVL since it's not in the van with me, but it really is huge when fully extended. I have to park way to the left side of the handicap parking spot and still use the entire lift area. Especially since the UVL doesn't have the side flap that folds down like my old Braun lift. You have to go straight in and out of the UVL or 'hop' one wheel over the side rail to get on and off of it.
                    Push me to the limit,
                    maybe I may bend,
                    but I will not be broken.
                    -Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Working...
                    X