No announcement yet.

Is my chair heavy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple rules of English say that the title "Titanium Wheelchair" means it is all titanium (unless otherwise specified).

But it is a good point that I could have clarified.

Nice wheelchair. I used to have a sling back for 25 years. These last few years I prefer the rigid back for lumbar support. I love it. Except for getting it in/out of the car. the extra 4 lbs creates too much shoulder stain for a 1-arm lift across the chest and back. I take the back off. It's not just an extra step that takes time and effort. But it takes the sexy right out of the whole process. I mean, I had it down to 30 seconds. Now it takes over 60 seconds. It makes me feel old. Maybe because I am.
    Last edited by August West; 25 Jan 2017, 3:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by August West View Post
      A nominal weight for an ultra-lightweight titanium wheelchair with an upholstery back and no cushion is about 20 lbs.
      Unrealistic! It would take a lot of money for all the options(a lot of CF) to get that low of a weight, and probably leaving off things many want for an everyday chair.
      For the setup the OP stated, not heavy at all, especially for adjustable AL frame. Not sure how the OP is loading the chair in the car, but if taking the wheels off and pulling the chair over lap, lighter wheels and tires make a huge difference and probably will be the most noticed weight reduction.

Comment

I remember replacing a cracked Ti frame way back when, and being amazed how the bare Ti frame was the lightest part of the package when stripped of all hardware and accessories. There is a lot to be said for optimizing accessory parts and fasteners in the quest for weight reduction

Comment

Here is a TR I purchased in 2009, note it has a flip-back footrest and frogleg forks. As you see it, it weighed 27.3 lbs. at my local bike shop.
          Attached Files
          C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
            I remember replacing a cracked Ti frame way back when, and being amazed how the bare Ti frame was the lightest part of the package when stripped of all hardware and accessories. There is a lot to be said for optimizing accessory parts and fasteners in the quest for weight reduction
            Yep, if one needs push handles, they add weight as do the receivers. So do anti tips, and their receivers. Frog Legs are heavier than normal forks. Covered push rims add weight. Arm rests and their receivers too. Side guards and their receivers are another source of weight.

What surprised me was one of my Invacares used steel receivers, I think on the crossfire, but I took them off and it's gone anyway.

So on my old Quickie 2 which I am back to using for outside trips. I have taken everything off it including the footrest even though I now cannot use a wheelchair without one. So outdoors I use bungy cords around my shoes and hook the other end in the loop in the supracor cushion. I say all that to explain that that chair has consistently weighed on three different doctor scales and mine at 29 lbs. This is with push to lock brakes, simple two sided caster forks, 7" hard casters, supracor contour cushion, cloth upholstery, marathon tires, and spinergy wheels and *nothing else*
            Last edited by nonoise; 25 Jan 2017, 6:10 PM.
            I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by jschism View Post
              Unrealistic! It would take a lot of money for all the options(a lot of CF) to get that low of a weight, and probably leaving off things many want for an everyday chair.
              Of course, user options vary. But we need a standard and it has to be the basic configuration. Consider another example. Car companies specify MPG under basic conditions: one driver, empty trunk, flat roads. But that’s not you. You have 2 people in your car, stuff in the trunk, and lots of hills. You say the specified MPG values are unrealistic. But no one said it is supposed to be realistic. It is supposed to be a standard.

What is the standard for an ultra-lightweight wheelchair? The configuration has to be basic. For a titanium wheelchair, the standard has to be using titanium wherever possible, or an alternate standard (like carbon fiber), wherever titanium is not possible. Of course, it’s going to be expensive. What did you expect?

By the way, I'm not here to say what is realistic for you. But for me, 20 lbs is an easy target.
              Last edited by August West; 26 Jan 2017, 4:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by August West View Post
                Of course, user options vary. But we need a standard and it has to be the basic configuration. Consider another example. Car companies specify MPG under basic conditions: one driver, empty trunk, flat roads. But that’s not you. You have 2 people in your car, stuff in the trunk, and lots of hills. You say the specified MPG values are unrealistic. But no one said it is supposed to be realistic. It is supposed to be a standard.

What is the standard for an ultra-lightweight wheelchair? The configuration has to be basic. For a titanium wheelchair, the standard has to be using titanium wherever possible, or an alternate standard (like carbon fiber), wherever titanium is not possible. Of course, it’s going to be expensive. What did you expect?

By the way, I'm not here to say what is realistic for you. But for me, 20 lbs is an easy target.
                I don't need you to explain ANYTHING to me about wheelchairs. You seem to be a self proclaimed expert and possibly you need a new scale? Thanks for the reminder of why I quit looking at CC.

Comment

Don't walk out on us jschism, CC has lost too much of what it once was already!
                  C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

Originally posted by Brianm View Post
                    Don't walk out on us jschism, CC has lost too much of what it once was already!
                    Haha. Too bad we can't see all the posts from Toto about all these weights and such. I'm guessing a "new" member would argue him,also? It's not just CC that has gone bad, it's everything on the internet.

Comment

Haha. Too bad we can't see all the posts from Toto about all these weights and such. I'm guessing a "new" member would argue him,also? It's not just CC that has gone bad, it's everything on the internet.
                      Indeed. This topic has been thoroughly documented, with photo evidence. Between totol1 and SCI_OTR the realities of chair and component weights was laid bare and we were freed from enduser assumptions and marketing hype.
                      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

I have an Areo T and it comes in fully assembled and 25 1/2 lbs thats everything. my seat is 15x15. My chair is not big at all. my niece whos a child her chair comes in at weighing 24 lbs her seat is 13x13

Comment

I don't need you to explain ANYTHING to me about wheelchairs. You seem to be a self proclaimed expert and possibly you need a new scale? Thanks for the reminder of why I quit looking at CC.
                          I have no idea who you are. Apparently you are the resident expert? I am just another person in a wheelchair here to share my personal experiences and to help others. What is the purpose of this website if we can't do that without being chastised? It wasn't personal. How is your attitude helping anyone?

Quickie Titanium with titanium forks, no casters (it's in storage at the time), titanium footrest, titanium camber tube, scissor locks, upholstery sling, aluminum folding back with upholstery Ride Corbac, freewheel mount, and luggage rack = 11.8 lbs.

Outfront Shadow 25" wheels with Primo tires, aluminum handrails, titanium axles = 3.8 lbs each

No cushion

total weight = 19.4 lbs

Have a nice day.
                          Last edited by August West; 26 Jan 2017, 10:25 PM.

Comment

What size frame?
                            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
                              What size frame?
                              15" wide, 16"deep, 15" tall

Comment

I need 16" width. Adjusting the threaded tube +0.5" on each side of the camber tube provides the 16" width. But I still have a 15" wide frame so that saves some weight.
                                Last edited by August West; 26 Jan 2017, 7:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X