TilLite Splitstream Fork Bearing Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grommet View Post
    What grease do you use? There are so many I wouldn't know what to pick.
    Any car grease from parts store. You are putting grease in bearings for two basic reasons. One because of side load, the bearings scrape against the races. The other to keep out dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
      Any car grease from parts store. You are putting grease in bearings for two basic reasons. One because of side load, the bearings scrape against the races. The other to keep out dirt.
      Grease doesn't cause the dirt to stick? My only experience using grease is in firearms and using it to liberally there causes lots of fouling and grit, that would otherwise fall away, to stick and mess things up.
      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

I've never understood greasing a sealed bearing if that is what is being done. Is it to keep it more water tight? But doesn't the non factory grease on the outside attract dust, grime and sand which can cause problems with the bearing seal?

edit:
        I understand the greasing inside discussion. What I am curious about is greasing the outside of the bearing.
        I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

It's sealed from rocks and sand, not so sealed from liquids. I figure the caster related bearings are operating in such a filthy environment and so cheap...just consider them disposable.

Caster stem bearings should actually be tapered bearings. Radial bearings there are misapplied. But is there a R8 sized reasonably priced tapered bearing? I guess it is better than a bushing there, which I wouldn't put past some wheelchair manufacturers, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
            It's sealed from rocks and sand, not so sealed from liquids. I figure the caster related bearings are operating in such a filthy environment and so cheap...just consider them disposable.

Caster stem bearings should actually be tapered bearings. Radial bearings there are misapplied. But is there a R8 sized reasonably priced tapered bearing? I guess it is better than a bushing there, which I wouldn't put past some wheelchair manufacturers, lol.
            Thanks, so then what we should use is a stiff grease that is highly resistant to water.

Your point about radial bearings is spot on, I've wondered about that myself. But as for bushings, yes, I've seen them used in place of one of the bearings.
            I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
              Thanks, so then what we should use is a stiff grease that is highly resistant to water.
              I'd imagine some high drop point grease would seal it well, although in cold weather the bearing would get rather non-bearing-like with the increased drag. I dunno, seems like such a mess to deal with rather than just replace 'em

Comment

One suggestion for which grease to use...would be a waterproof marine wheel bearing grease. New bearings might be cheaper than a tube of high quality lube.
                "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
                T5/6 complete

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                  I've never understood greasing a sealed bearing if that is what is being done. Is it to keep it more water tight? But doesn't the non factory grease on the outside attract dust, grime and sand which can cause problems with the bearing seal?

edit:
                  I understand the greasing inside discussion. What I am curious about is greasing the outside of the bearing.
                  Outside of the bearing I use a dry spray, Remington Rem-DriLube (http://www.basspro.com/Remington-Rem...product/67642/). This is mainly for friction between then bearings and fork spacers. Dry lube, if used weekly, seems to keep things in check. I use the lube for my guns so it was an easy choice to use for my chair. It dries almost instantly, and unlike regular lube it doesn't trap anything. WD-40 and gun protection products are the cheapest/easiest way to go. Dry lube doesn't last as long but has less friction than regular lube.

Comment

Working...
                  X