Tires with more traction for power chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tsquared View Post
    Stock rims, inner tunes, and 1.5" lug spacers. Couldn't find any rims to work with the 4x3" bolt pattern. If I had to do it all over again, I would fab up a plate with that bolt pattern to attach a 6 inch snowblower rim, cause that would then open up possibilities for similar tread tires but in 13-14".

These are the spacers, 1.5" each side: https://www.amazon.com/Krator-Spacer.../dp/B016N2TMMA

Haven't used a power chair indoors in years. It's strictly an outdoor rig for me. For the non-ATV situations.
    Thats a good find on those spacers. Not to throw out the wet blanket but those wheels/tires spaced out like that will be harsh on the motor bearings. I have a feeling they may be short lived. It looks like you have a pretty good amount of space before the tires rub the motor, so different hubs, or custom adapters is something you might want to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustyjames View Post
      Thats a good find on those spacers. Not to throw out the wet blanket but those wheels/tires spaced out like that will be harsh on the motor bearings. I have a feeling they may be short lived. It looks like you have a pretty good amount of space before the tires rub the motor, so different hubs, or custom adapters is something you might want to consider.
      Well they rubbed the motors without the spacers, so at most I have 1.5" clearance now. No arguing though that there will be increased stress on the gearbox bearings. I've had one side's gearbox opened once before when a snap ring broke and the gear slid on shaft and lost engagement from the worm. Was super easy to work on. I guess we'll find out how long they hold up. Everything else on the chair is original from 2002. I also run 35ah AGM batteries and probably save about 70 lbs total there. Since I'm never needing to use it all day I can get by with the decreased capacity.

Comment

Those tires are so "cool"!! Thanks for the photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsquared View Post
          Well they rubbed the motors without the spacers, so at most I have 1.5" clearance now. No arguing though that there will be increased stress on the gearbox bearings. I've had one side's gearbox opened once before when a snap ring broke and the gear slid on shaft and lost engagement from the worm. Was super easy to work on. I guess we'll find out how long they hold up. Everything else on the chair is original from 2002. I also run 35ah AGM batteries and probably save about 70 lbs total there. Since I'm never needing to use it all day I can get by with the decreased capacity.
          I'm going to have to look at hubs on some spare motors I have laying around. I think using longer studs combined with a spacer plate would be the cheapest and best way to go. A 1/4" space from the motor would be plenty.

Comment

I'm going to have to look at hubs on some spare motors I have laying around. I think using longer studs combined with a spacer plate would be the cheapest and best way to go. A 1/4" space from the motor would be plenty.
            Completely agree! If I would have had the availability to do that at the time, definitely would have. I could probably make that happen now, have a few more resources available to me now. Gotta take a closer measurement to see what my actual clearance is now.

Comment

It looks like you've got about an inch of space now. Do you have the OEM software/cable to program your chair? I see it has the P&G Pilot + controls.

Comment

It looks like you've got about an inch of space now. Do you have the OEM software/cable to program your chair? I see it has the P&G Pilot + controls.
                I do not have either the cable or the software. But from the get-go I had them program one of my modes to be max everything, so I use that if I get into a pinch for more torque. Otherwise my main mode is top fwd speed but with controllable everything else.

Comment

Are looking into doing something similar? Or just looking at your spare motors to see what other options this could be done by for others?

Comment

@ Tsquared, I've got a couple of those Quickies in various configurations. One of them I mounted scooter tires on it. They are about 1-1/2" taller so I'm looking to increase the speed. It already has the 8.5 MPH motors. I mounted those tires on stock wheels and have about an 1/8" clearance. Haven't run it yet though to see what happens, but I think it'll be fine.

Comment

I posted this video last year, and wondered at the time what mod’s would be needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSqXZ93Ba9U

Comment

@ landrover, front wheel drive is definitely the way to go on sand, no doubt. As far a mods it's just a matter of finding a hub and wheel/tire assembly that'll fit the motor shafts.

Comment

tires are 10x4. four bolt pattern.

Comment

@ landrover, front wheel drive is definitely the way to go on sand, no doubt. As far a mods it's just a matter of finding a hub and wheel/tire assembly that'll fit the motor shafts.
                            I have zero knowledge of how to go about that. Ideally what I would like is something relatively easily interchangeable that can swapped out when the need arises. For example, if I'm traveling to a beach location, I'd like to swap out for the larger tires, but yet allow me to use the chair to sightsee, go to restaurants, etc.

Comment

Has anyone came up with any new good solutions for adding all terrain tires to there power chair? I have a Permobil M400 and would be very interested in doing this to my chair.

Comment

Originally posted by dmccoyks View Post
                                Has anyone came up with any new good solutions for adding all terrain tires to there power chair? I have a Permobil M400 and would be very interested in doing this to my chair.
                                I just replied to your other post here: https://www.carecure.net/forum/showt...=1#post1889935

Comment

Working...
                                X