No announcement yet.

Vans vs Cars - which do you prefer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the Honda Odyssey VMI conversion, the in floor ramp extends 48-1/2 inches when deployed, then you need about 50-55 inches to maneuver to line up a power chair in position at the bottom of the ramp. "Fuentejps" does your number include positioning the wheelchair? Yours is a full size van...what lift do you have?

My first van was a Ford Econoline 150. At that time (35 years ago) there was a lift called the Golden Boy. You accessed the ramp parallel to the van, and the lift rotated a quarter turn in to the van to allow you to back off the lift platform. It was a real space saver. Most parking spaces were much more generously sized than today to accommodate "land yachts" with wide doors. Often times, we didn't need a handicapped space because the rotary lift took up such a little bit of room. I've often wondered why this style of lift didn't catch on.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 27 Nov 2016, 8:15 PM.

Comment

I have the Braun Swing Away lifts in my vans; best lift ever made, that's why they quit making them!

https://www.braunability.com/interna...ngaway-series/

Comment

vangator, that's just platform length
        Originally posted by gjnl View Post
        In the Honda Odyssey the in floor ramp extends 48-1/2 inches when deployed, then you need about 50-55 inches to maneuver to line up a power chair in position at the bottom of the ramp. "Fuentejps" does your number include positioning the wheelchair? Yours is a full size van...what lift do you have?

My first van was a Ford Econoline 150. At that time (35 years ago) there was a lift called the Golden Boy. You accessed the ramp parallel to the van, and the lift rotated a quarter turn in to the van to allow you to back off the lift platform. It was a real space saver. Most parking spaces were much more generously sized than today to accommodate "land yachts" with wide doors. Often times, we didn't need a handicapped space because the rotary lift took up such a little bit of room. I've often wondered why this style of lift didn't catch on.

All the best,
        GJ
        Bike-on.com rep
        John@bike-on.com
        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
        sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

We have had a full sized van conversion for years now. I have hated it from day one but it has the head clearance for Ry's power chair. I even named it vanstrocity for all the reasons discussed about parking, visibility(which is worse than parking), etc. He has recently transitioned to a manual chair and we thought, great we can use the car. This is worse. First, there is no way his current upper body strength could put his chair in the back seat. We all know that his chair is bigger than he needs (original script was measured when he still needed side leg supports). but it is actually easier to load him on the hydraulic lift into the van, he transfers to the back bench and I tie down the chair. In the car, I have to use the back seat to stash his foot plates, seat cushion and back-pack. The chair and wheels filled the trunk. It took longer (and when you are getting eaten up by bugs, or rained on or whatever, it matters), was killer on me doing the lifting of the chair (much more than 20#). We went back to the van and only use the care when we know parking is only available in a garage because those in downtown Norfolk do not accommodate the van due to the height. But that is only when he needs a pump refill. We use the van otherwise and I just am thankful that gas has gone down and I can get him to therapy and home for about $40 in gas per week.--eak
          Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
          mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
          Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

Comment

One of the best features of a van as opposed to a car is that you can be sheltered from foul weather relatively quickly.

If you ever have to travel to less than the safest areas you can zip into a van and lock up quicker also.

Comment

I,m not sure if you dealing with a folding manual if so Braun Chair Topper may be an option. (loads manual folders) mounts on top of most vehicle

Originally posted by ekephart View Post
              We have had a full sized van conversion for years now. I have hated it from day one but it has the head clearance for Ry's power chair. I even named it vanstrocity for all the reasons discussed about parking, visibility(which is worse than parking), etc. He has recently transitioned to a manual chair and we thought, great we can use the car. This is worse. First, there is no way his current upper body strength could put his chair in the back seat. We all know that his chair is bigger than he needs (original script was measured when he still needed side leg supports). but it is actually easier to load him on the hydraulic lift into the van, he transfers to the back bench and I tie down the chair. In the car, I have to use the back seat to stash his foot plates, seat cushion and back-pack. The chair and wheels filled the trunk. It took longer (and when you are getting eaten up by bugs, or rained on or whatever, it matters), was killer on me doing the lifting of the chair (much more than 20#). We went back to the van and only use the care when we know parking is only available in a garage because those in downtown Norfolk do not accommodate the van due to the height. But that is only when he needs a pump refill. We use the van otherwise and I just am thankful that gas has gone down and I can get him to therapy and home for about $40 in gas per week.--eak

Comment

Originally posted by Rustyjames View Post
                I have the Braun Swing Away lifts in my vans; best lift ever made, that's why they quit making them!

The swing away lifts make sense. Because you can enter the ramp with your wheels parallel (rather than perpendicular) to the van, which saves about 3'.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustyjames View Post

If I were to go with a van, this seems the way to go because it doesn't require any more parking space than a car. Do you know why they quit making them?

Comment

Originally posted by August West View Post
                    If I were to go with a van, this seems the way to go because it doesn't require any more parking space than a car. Do you know why they quit making them?
                    The Golden Boy lift that I mentioned earlier, worked similarly and it was discontinued too. I wonder if there may have been some sort of safety issue...not that I ever perceived a safety issue for the 8 or so years I used mine.

All the best,
                    GJ

Comment

The only thing I can think of is the rotation mechanism may have been unreliable. Other than that, what's the difference between it and a generic lift?

Comment

The only thing I can think of is the rotation mechanism may have been unreliable. Other than that, what's the difference between it and a generic lift?
                        I don't recall having any trouble with the Golden Boy lift. It was more reliable than the lifts I had in my first two minivans, which were the fold-out tower lifts.

All the best,
                        GJ

Comment

Yes, I already mentioned it, they were too good! Seriously, one of my vans is a 93 with the original lift and it's never given me any major trouble, and has very little maintenance done on it.

Comment

If you are worried about the parking space for deploying a full size van with lift on the side, a rear lift can be used. I think one would need to be cautious in deploying it in the rear. When we had one, when parked, we would wheel to the rear, look out the windows and deploy doors and lift when coast was clear. Had no problem with this set up and could park in non-handicapped spots as additional room was not needed.
                            Because we are a two wheeler couple, this system was awkward for moving within van; since then we use side power doors and lift, along with two 6 way power seats and hand controls.
                            Choose a system lets you function as independently as you wish, in addition to safe and comfortable body mechanics. I would tend to avoid a transportation method that makes one think twice about going out, because of nagging complications for entry and stowing wheelchair. It's all very personal choices for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
                              The Golden Boy lift that I mentioned earlier, worked similarly and it was discontinued too. I wonder if there may have been some sort of safety issue...not that I ever perceived a safety issue for the 8 or so years I used mine.

All the best,
                              GJ
                              I always thought the lobbyists for the mobility industry torpedoed the rotary lifts for "safety reasons". A para could get a rotary lift with no pwr for sliding doors, no dropping the floor, raising the roof, etc. A much cheaper conversion. The end goal being move everyone into minivans with ramps, dropped floors, etc. for $20,000 more.

Comment

I like my car. But it's a pain to dissemble/assemble the wheelchair every time I get in/out of the car. A van would solve that problem as I could roll in with the wheelchair in one piece. It even offers the option to eliminate the transfer and drive while in the wheelchair. But how about the parking? Van ramps require 8' clearance whereas most HP spots have 5' clearance for car doors.

That means finding accessible parking is far more difficult for a van driver than a car driver. The trade off is ease of the van vs the parking access of the car. What do you do?
                                I'm at C-5 quadriplegic, I've only owned one vehicle in my lifetime and I'm still driving it and it's a Ford E1 50 Econoline van. Quite honestly despite the fact that sometimes finding parking is a little bit difficult and you have to cross park across two spots or look for an end spot I would never go with the car. I can transfer OK but not great but even if I was paraplegic and could transfer easily I've seen the hassle someone goes through and getting in and out of the vehicle once let alone multiple times if you're running around during the day getting in and out assembling and disassembling your wheelchair especially if the weather is bad and it's just not worth it. I think most people offer cars outside of the expense issue because their ego doesn't want to use a van. But you know what I can lock my chair with the easy lock into my vehicle and go in a matter of a minute or two where is somebody getting in and out of a car is much more time and trouble. And honestly even if I was transferring into the captains chair in the van at least your sheltered from the weather when it's rainy or cold or shitty. But you know what I can lock my chair with the easy lock into my vehicle and go in a matter of a minute or two where is somebody getting in and out of a car is much more time and trouble. And honestly even if I was transferring into the captains chair in the van at least your sheltered from the weather when it's rainy or cold or shitty. It's one thing to make one or two transfers on a nice sunny day but if it's rain or snow or you have to make multiple stops it's going to get tiring very quickly. In my van I just drop the ramp, lock in and do it my seatbelts and go

I broke my neck and 15 and I was supposed to get my moms Z 28 Camaro for my 16th birthday. Looking back even if I was paraplegic like I said I would've never gone with the car I would've bought a van still ...you have to think about convenience to some degree in the effort that it takes you to get in and out. Yeah maybe the car is a little cheaper, and yeah maybe the parking is a little bit easier, but at least it's not exhausting. I wouldn't go with anything other

Comment

Working...
                                X