Vans vs Cars - which do you prefer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
    What is your injury level? Here is a C6/7 quad transferring to a truck. Two videos show the transfer in and transfer out. Looks like it takes about 11-1/2 minutes. What do you do if it is raining, snowing, just plain cold, if you are dressed up (wheels and casters get very dirty/wet and you're going to get very dirty/wet too), in the dark, etc.? I don't know about parking spaces where you live, but in N. Calif. most regular spaces don't allow you to open the truck/car door as wide as you need to get the chair in place, and compact spaces are taking over parking lots everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG48lLrMe8M
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRQbyhxqSKA

All the best,
    GJ
    This is definitely injury/level/strength dependent. I have a 2013 Nissan Frontier (crew cab) with a matching camper shell on the back. My truck transfer and disassembly takes 30 seconds. I've mentally timed it over and over again. If it's raining I can shave a few more seconds off. If it took me as long as this dude I would surely go with a van/ramp. If I have a passenger or my wife with me, they'll put the chair in the back of the truck. So that saves on the arm use. With the camper shell it is safe from weather. I'm C6/C7 but function closer to T-4.

Comment

Originally posted by August West View Post
      My girlfriend has a Mazda 3. Super easy to get in/out. But how do you get the chair in without taking it apart? Either someone else does it for you or you walk?
      Because a mazda5 is a "microvan" with sliding doors. Similar to the 3 in some features and drivetrain, but van vs sedan we're dealing with here.

This is how I transfer. I've changed a few things in the last 3 years since I did the video and I was taking my time here, but you get the idea: https://youtu.be/0KgyWxqC1Y0

Comment

Originally posted by Tsquared View Post
        Because a mazda5 is a "microvan" with sliding doors. Similar to the 3 in some features and drivetrain, but van vs sedan we're dealing with here.

This is how I transfer. I've changed a few things in the last 3 years since I did the video and I was taking my time here, but you get the idea: https://youtu.be/0KgyWxqC1Y0
        Very clever. I will use all of the cliches...necessity is the mother of invention, where there's a will, there's a way...job well done!

All the best,
        GJ

Comment

The reason I am considering a van is because of my shoulder. The transfer is just one issue. Of course, I could use a transfer board. But I still have to break down the wheelchair and move it. The wheelchair is only 20 lbs. But when you hang 20 lbs off a 2ft lever (extended arm), it acts like 40 lbs of torque. That adds up. Because of having to do this, I think twice before leaving the house. I am sure I would get out more if I didn't have to break down the wheelchair. Where I live, the van parking spots are located closest to the building. That means they are usually the first ones taken. Therefore, I am thinking of alternate solutions.

Maybe I should increase my shoulder strength and stick with a car.

I like the idea of a truck with minimum modifications, only a power door and removing the back seat. But are these for people with incomplete injuries who can hop up into it? Can someone elaborate on this solution, maybe a video? The Truck access videos I have seen on YouTube all have lifts.

What do you think about a full size van with a lift rather than a mini van with a ramp? If it's less expensive and doesn't require the wider parking spot, that may be the way to go.
          I had a pick up in 2001 it was a bitch with the quick release not worth a dam I sold it bought a 95 uded full size van for 13500 it has a lift and a seat that turns around goes back and forth I transfer to yes I have had to sens some money on it but its paid for and runs I am a c6c7 I would rather have a truck but not willing to spend 50,000 lots of good used one just have to look

Comment

I've always had vans with lifts. My transfers have always sucked. I currently have a 2005 Ford E 250, with automatic side doors, Braun Millenium lift, EZ Lock and hand controls. It's the best set up I've ever had. I only have 74k miles on it, garage it, wash and wax it, baby it. Unfortunately Ford does not make the cargo vans anymore. They make transit vans now. Not a big fan of the mini-vans with a ramp. Hopefully in the very near future the transit vans will be modified so I can get a full lift and EZ lock set up in those so I can drive myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
              I had one of those. If I recall, it did have wide rocker to seat relationship making for a long reach. I'm built like a gorilla, so it didn't seem too bad, but I know smaller people thought it rather wide. For some reason (clearance issues I think), I had the frame upside down on my passenger seat. In my Challengers, I have the frame with the casters on the floor doing a twirl of sorts getting it in...which I think is actually easier. Seat to rocker panel is narrower on that car in comparison.

Some video that might help fine tune the wheelchair stowage technique: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkH...QFbYdlgwLoGbTw

If the video seems borked on the red car, let me know. My computer is showing the video frozen at the relevant part, but I don't know if it cached goofy and I cant clear it, or the upload went bad. I still have the video so I could re-upload it if need be.
              The video stops in the middle. But I get the point. Kind of what I do with some variations. I put everything in the front in order to eliminate shoulder strain from reaching behind me with an extended arm (that's the worst motion for me). The cushion and wheels rest on the passenger seat and the frame goes upside down on top of them. Yes, the reach is the problem in a car like this. The obvious consideration is a car that is big enough. The less obvious consideration is a car that is small enough (minimize reach).

Comment

Originally posted by pacrossbow View Post
                Really? honestly, I think you guys need to learn to transfer better if it wears on your shoulders.
                Technique overcomes brute force. Keeping your head down during transfers reduce shoulder strain. It's kind of like a scale with your top body weight to one side and your bottom body weight on the other side with your shoulder acting like as the fulcrum.

Comment

Originally posted by Tman9513 View Post
                  My truck transfer and disassembly takes 30 seconds.
                  Excellent. Video please.

Comment

I'm a Van Man. Full sized E350 with lifted roof, remote door, remote lift, electric drivers seat that comes back 2' and rotates 90 degs so I can transfer into. Also have bench seat in back that converts to bed.
                    Push / Pull hand controls. Good for paraplegic.

Comment

Originally posted by Eightarches View Post
                      I'm a Van Man. Full sized E350 with lifted roof, remote door, remote lift, electric drivers seat that comes back 2' and rotates 90 degs so I can transfer into. Also have bench seat in back that converts to bed.
                      Push / Pull hand controls. Good for paraplegic.
                      Does your van lift require less space than a van ramp? How reliable is one over the other?

Comment

On the other hand, if I had a van right now, I'd go back to work. No way I can afford one though. 3yrs off work has caused finanical strain, even on long-term disability.
                        Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

yes very well thought out and executed!

Originally posted by Tsquared View Post

Comment

Hi,
                            Toyota Venza is the lowest SUV cross you can find and board transfer is much easier than to Ford Freestar I was using for 10 years.
                            Trunk is deep and Wheelchair no need to disassemble. As I am C-6 quad and 6' 3" tall It was hard to find good leg-room vehicle.
                            I was thinking to get Mazda 5 but couldn't fit with my legs - to make also room for my wheelchair to be pulled up behind.
                            Not totally independent as I always need someone to throw my wheelchair to the trunk...
                            Few more details on my Blog here:
                            https://miracleofwalk.wordpress.com/...rashed/my-car/
                            www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
                            to what we know about nature
                            Saint Augustine

Comment

Have only had van for two months now. Back to work and making money. I tried the ramp and was to difficult to get up. My wheel rings also hit ramp edges. The ramp does occupy the double doors. I like the fact that I can roll into van and do complete circle inside. Works good for me.

Comment

lift is more reliable imo. i'd say lift takes less space 43 inch platform length
                                Does your van lift require less space than a van ramp? How reliable is one over the other?
                                Bike-on.com rep
                                John@bike-on.com
                                c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                                sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Working...
                                X