Wheelchair backpack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheelchair backpack

I need a new backpack for my C500 Permobil. Any suggestions?
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

248 views and nobody can offer a recommendation? Seriously? Nobody uses a backpack they're happy with?
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

I've been using "Quickie backpack" for over 15 years. I notice they have redesigned and taken off open side pockets. I like them and use for cell phone, water bottle, etc, can get at it just by reaching to sides and not having to take backpack off of chair. I use it on a manual rigid frame. Probably the best feature is that it is made to go on a wheelchair. Straps are adjustable and you can get it to hold quite a bit in terms of volume.
      I am not usually a big fan of Quickie products but these (I've got a couple of them off eBay,etc) work very well for me.

Google search "[Quickie backpack" has several vendors here's one:
      http://www.caremedicalsource.com/Shop/Quickie-Backpack

Here is another , in the reviews a person voices same dissatisfaction with removal of side pouches, since the ones I have all have side pouches I can't vouch 100% for newer model...
      http://www.indemedical.com/Quickie-W...ks_p_3016.html
      Last edited by ChesBay; 1 Oct 2016, 2:06 PM. Reason: eta /info

Comment

When I have occasion to use a backpack I prefer to use a LoPro camera bag. I have one that is talk but narrow, fits between the back wheels really nicely. Not an incredible amount of storage, but adequate for my occasional needs. It's called Fastpack.
        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Thanks guys!

Ches, I use a quickie now but it's worn out, and I too hate that they removed the side pockets. Uggg. I have been looking for the perfect pack but just ave not found it yet.

Odd, I never thought of a camera big. I'll look at them more closely.

Comment

I don't know if they make them anymore. But, I have an Adaptable Designs wheelchair day pack. I love it. Very roomy for a lot of things I have to carry around, and even has a compartment for a water bottle.
            Samantha

Comment

Yep, found it. Thanks.

http://www.buckandbuck.com/accessori...cription-title

Comment

For years I used the Quickie backpack but I finally got a Thule Crossover 30 liter. It's very expensive, over $100, but it lasts forever. It has two side pockets you can use for a water bottle. I keep a water bottle on one side and my glasses case in the other. It's tough and very well built but I haven't yet found any backpack that's easy to open or close easily one handed. I struggle everyday getting things out of the bag. In fact I keep the large compartment partially unzipped so I can quickly get in and out of it. No bag is perfect but after so many bags over the years, this is the best one I've used.

Comment

I am in a manual chair so don't know if what works on that would work on a power chair. That being said, I love my backpack: http://www.goruck.com/gr2-multicam-/p/GEAR-000684

I have the 34L one, and full up when I am traveling it is perfect for 3 days worth of all the stuff I need. It is really well built, but a tad bit expensive.

Comment

I use an REI Flash 22 Pack, an older version of this: https://www.rei.com/product/892204/rei-flash-22-pack

I like the fact that it's lightweight, that it has a lid as opposed to just a cinch tie, that the wide (but not bulky) mesh straps are easy on my back upholstery and easy to slide a hand under to get the pack off, that it has reflective stripes and that my version has mesh side pockets that are easy to get a water bottle in and out of and ladder loops for hanging small stuff off of with carabiners.

I use a manual chair.

Comment

Thanks gang! T8, I especially liked this spec: Separate, bombproof compartment next to your back

Comment

I went to wal mart and looked through all the back packs and found one for 12 bucks! Its a regular backpack BUT it is built well 2 full length main compartments zippered with 2 zippers, compartments inside both those that are zippered and one large un-zippered, then outside top pockets zippered and un-zippered and the standard side-water bottle pocket. Waterproof and clips for keys etc. Instead of the straps you could put hangers to attach it to your chair. I put so much stuff(books, laptop, waterbottle, notebooks, gloves, tools etc, etc, in mine that I about couldn't lift it up to my lap but there was still room for more. My advice, head to wal mart. You can put wire or zip ties to make big loops for the zippers to aid in opening them. Did I mention CHEAP and well made

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

This place has some decent options: http://www.wheelchairgear.com I have purchased from them in the past.
                          C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

I use a manual wheelchair with a rigid Roho Jetstream back rest. I found a Swiss Gear backpack many years ago at a Staples. They are the Swiss Army Knife of backpacks. It was around $50, but it was very well made and I liked that it was all black with red & white accents. Some of the white accents were reflectorized for safety in the dark and had a myriad of different sizes compartments to keep me organized. Anyway, I've been using them ever since. The current one now has 4 main compartments with additional interior organizing pockets. The very back compartment is padded and made to accommodate a 15.4 inch laptop. It also has an elasticized enclosing compartment on each side to accommodate waterbottles. I put my wallet on one side and my cell phone on the other. They are easy to grab but don't fall out. The interior organizers do just that, keep everything neatly organized and held in place. All I can say is they work for me. Check 'em out on Amazon where the variety seems endless.

Comment

Be careful carrying your wallet in a backpack. Pickpockets are expert at slashing these with a razor blade and slipping things out of them in crowded situations where you may not notice them being right behind you (like in elevators or waiting in line). You might also want to use an under seat bag like this to carry your wallet.

https://www.advantagebag.com/collect...-eight-ten-pac

or

https://www.advantagebag.com/collect...down-under-bag

I assume you have the back-pack accessory for your Permobile chair? There are limited places to hang anything on the back. For my mother's chair, we used a microfiber woman's purse that I attached some ribbons to and used these to tie to the cross bar, and then used an underseat bag for her wallet, meds, and cath supplies.

(KLD)
                              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
                              X